Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice on Changing my 5month Kittens to Raw food

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Paula Heaney, Jul 15, 2018.

1. Paula Heaney

Paula Heaney PetForums Newbie

Hi All,

I need advice and your thought on changing my two kittens over to raw food over the next two months is this correct or not or do you think I should keep with Applaws kitten dry food with Applaws kitten wet Tuna and Chicken alternated with James Wellbeloved kitten?

The raw food I was thinking of trying is natural instinct kitten-weaning-paste first then changing between meal times and days with a choice of
    country-banquet-cat-organic-chicken
    natural instinct cat-food-lamb-chicken
    natural instinct country-banquet-cat-fish
    natural instinct country-banquet-turkey-cat-food

I have seen on YouTube videos of people saying it can take up to 3months and are best feed them a little raw food with a little of there dry food grinded up on top to get them used to smell and trick them with the taste???

help help help lol.

thank you for your advice and thoughts before hand

Paula, Tiger Millie (Kitten), Lady Grey Molly (Kitten)

2. Rufus15

Rufus15 PetForums VIP

How long have you had them for?

NI weaning paste is designed for very little kittens that are first weaning off mum, you shouldn't need it for your girls. I would also steer clear of NI altogether, a lot of people are saying that it's not great and the meat comes out grey and smelly. Kiezebrink is a good food, and more reasonably priced. Purrform is top end of the market.

Do take your time with it, doing a gradual switch - as you say mix in dry with the raw and slowly increase the raw and decrease the dry :)

Paula Heaney likes this.
  3. Paula Heaney

Hi Rufus15

Thank you so much for your advice, my two kittens are 5 months old and we have had them since they was 8weeks old.

Do you think they are @ the right age to start them on raw food and is Kiezebrink a complete raw food and ok for kittens?:Cat:)

4. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

They are certainly the right age - my kittens are weaned on to raw - though I also feed wet as I know many new slaves don't want to do raw. You can see if they like it by giving them bits from anything you are going to cook for yourself - a bit of minced beef, chopped up chicken etc. A raw chicken wing is really good for them to chew and a this age they will be teething so extra good. I wouldn't worry about putting ground up dry food on top - just give them the meat.
    Keizenbrink do a couple of ranges specifically for cats.

Paula Heaney likes this.
  5. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Any age is the right age. :) First, get rid of the dry food all together, transitioning them to timed meals with the wet. Four meals a day is good for kittens at their age. Place a little blob of raw in a separate dish next to their wet food at every meal. As they learn to associate the raw as food and eat it up, gradually increase the raw portions and decrease the wet portions until it is all raw.

I don't advise mixing. I think it is better to put the new food in a separate dish.

I wouldn't feed any fish varieties.

6. Rufus15

Rufus15 PetForums VIP

Any age is the right age, a lot of breeders wean straight onto raw from mums milk.

Kiezebrink is indeed complete of you buy the Alaska line rather than the frankenprey options. Let me find you a link.

Paula Heaney likes this.
  7. Rufus15

Rufus15 PetForums VIP

https://www.kiezebrink.co.uk/category/168-alaska-natural-catfood

They are able to have adult food, after all there's no kitten food in nature! But if you're concerned, you can always supplement with a bit of high quality, grain free wet food like Animonda, Bozita, Grau, Feringa, Cosma, or similar while they're still young. It's not necessary but you might choose to for peace of mind

lorilu likes this.
  8. Paula Heaney

Hi Lorilu thank you for your advice, I will give that a try I love chicken wings myself so a win I can get my little baby's them too (Kittens);). I got a little card happy buying and order the Natural Instinct country-banquet-cat-organic-chicken food and ordered a couple of others including the weaning paste I tried cancelling the order but has already been dispatched, have you tried this brand at all? I am sure I seen a dog completions adverts it that's why I thought is was good.

9. Paula Heaney

Ok thank you so I can still feed them the food above or like applaws with the raw food, just we are out at work in the day so normally leave extra wet and dry food for them to eat when they like. I have read you can only leave the raw food out for limited time so they don't get ill is this correct?

10. Paula Heaney

Hi Lymorelynn thank you for your advice, I will give that a try I love chicken wings myself so a win I can get my little baby's them too (Kittens);). I got a little card happy buying and order the Natural Instinct country-banquet-cat-organic-chicken food and ordered a couple of others including the weaning paste I tried cancelling the order but has already been dispatched, have you tried this brand at all? I am sure I seen a dog completions adverts it that's why I thought is was good.

11. Paula Heaney

Hi Lorilu thank you this has helped, why stay away from fish varieties if I may ask?

12. Paula Heaney

Hi Rufus15m I got a little card happy buying and order the Natural Instinct country-banquet-cat-organic-chicken food and ordered a couple of others including the weaning paste I tried cancelling the order but has already been dispatched, have you tried this brand at all? I am sure I seen a dog completions adverts it that's why I thought is was good. will this food do them any harm?

13. Rufus15

Rufus15 PetForums VIP

Yes, you can leave extra wet or dry out. If leaving wet, make sure you use a feeder than can be cooled down to keep the food fresh. I think an automatic feeder is what you want. Both raw and wet should be removed after 30 minutes from serving.

14. Rufus15

Rufus15 PetForums VIP

I have tried NI, and mine were never a fan, but this is going back nearly 5 years. I've heard similar recently, that people aren't happy with the adult version of the food but the kitten version seems better. If you've ordered the kitten version, you can either stick with it for this order and change to a different brand when you need to order again, or you can refuse delivery and it will be returned and you should be refunded. If you want to go down that route, check with NI first to make sure they will refund.

Paula Heaney likes this.
  15. Paula Heaney

Thank you Rufus this has made its a lot clearer with the link as NI didn't say to much well not what I found any way. in the other option frankenprey they have fish raw food like the Salmon (Will not let me add link???) would this be ok for my kittens as someone else said stay away from Fish variety's why is this?

16. Rufus15

Rufus15 PetForums VIP

Feeding lots of fish can cause a thiamine (Vitamin B1) deficiency in cats, which makes them very unwell. I wouldn't feed fish more than once or twice a week at most, as a treat.

17. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

I have fed mine Natural Instinct - it's not too bad imo, I just found it rather dense and finely ground - not as chunky as some, which my cats prefer. Don't forget to give the chicken wing raw to your kittens not cooked!

18. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

I woulnd't feed dry at all. You can get timed feeders with ice packs that open when you set them for. Train the kittens on using them before leaving them out when you are gone. Once they are adults they will only need feeding 3 times a day so that can be done when you are home. Morning, supper and bed time. :)

Paula Heaney likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice