Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

advice on cat food

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Marley boy, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Marley boy

Marley boy PetForums VIP

just want peoples opinions on cat food, whats the best around at the moment, especialy for a cat with a sensitive tummy. I like to feed a mix of wet and dry :)

2. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

3. kunzy

kunzy Guest

dry- orijen.

wet - applaws, almo nature.

4. Marley boy

Marley boy PetForums VIP

ooops sorry i ment to put this in the nutrition section. I will have a look on this site and see what i can come up with, its just so bloody confusing. I know where i am with dogs as i have had dogs with sensitive tummies before but iv never had a cat like this. With thelma she can eat anything i used to just got what ever i liked the look of in the pet shop at the time, but elvis is so sensitive and farts at the drop of a hat lol. Vet said there is nothing wrong with him just a sensitive tummy. Good job i love him :D

5. Marley boy

Marley boy PetForums VIP

thanks i will have a look at these :)

6. dougal22

dougal22 Banned

The above wet foods are not complete, so are best saved for an occassional treat. Far more balanced complete wet foods can be found on the A-Z list. I feed my cats several of the foods from this list and can vouch for Grau, Bozita, Animonda and Smilla. My youngest has a sensitive tum and won't touch Bozita and Animonda, but will happily eat Grau mixed in with his RC sensitive pouches from the vet diet range :)

As above - by all means, have a look at Applaws and Almo. My cats love them, but they're definitely a treat and I would not consider feeding them this solely as they do not have vital nutrients needed for optimum health :D
    Plus, they're expensive for what they are :eek:

7. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

I find Royal Canin Sensitive good for sensitive tums - available wet and dry.

8. Doolally

Doolally PetForums Senior

With sensitive tums it's a case of trial and error for what suits each cat.

My girlcat has a sensitive tum on junk food, on higher meat content foods with little grains she's much better. And fish flavours suit her tum better than meaty ones.

I feed a token amount of encore and meowing heads dry, and then bozita, hi-life, and schmusy wet

9. Marley boy

Marley boy PetForums VIP

someone else has reccomended me meowing heads, i like the look of MEOWING HEADS PURR NICKETY SALMON as it has 80% meat and is suppoed to be good for sensitive tummies. Have you tried this one? :)

10. Marley boy

Marley boy PetForums VIP

im also liking the look of fish 4 cats

11. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Hiya, a couple of thoughts. Elvis has a sensitive tum? What does that mean? Is he sick? Gets "dire rear" or does he just get windy? Anything that triggers it? Any particular meats? Grains, rice etc? Sorry but cats don't just "have" a sensitive stomach in my experience but tend to be not be very good with certain ingredients - which is where Doolally's observation comes in that it is a bit of trial and error unless you know what triggers it with your elvis.

That leads me to the next issue - manufacturers or people recommending certain foods because they are good for cats with sensitive stomachs. Unless we are talking about the specifically formulated food, then there is no such thing. What works for one cat doesn't work for the next as it depends on what your cat is sensitive to.

You asked what is the best food around. I agree with Kunzy re the dry - Orijen. On paper certainly one of the best dry foods around; if there is such a thing as a "good" dry food. Acana is also good, which is made by the same people as Orijen but which has a slightly lower meat content. And then there is also Applaws dry.

Meowing Heads - Purrnickety. Just like to point out that it has quite a large crude ash content (9.5%) and according to correspondence with them, which I have queried but not heard back from, it also contains an excessive amount of magnesium and sodium.

Ok, Meowing Heads and Fish4Cats are cheaper than Orijen/Acana/Applaws but considering that you aren't going to feed your cat just dry food but are also feeding a wet, I personally would splash out and buy the really good food (well, as far as there is good dry food as I said before).

Re the wet, the best wet food tends to be pate food because it tends to contain fewer fillers (jelly/gravy). IMO Grau is one of the best foods you can buy in this country - but it is only available online on zooplus. See the A-Z for more info. Other good food, as has already been suggested by Dougal22, are Bozita tins and pate tetrapacks, and Animonda Carny. If you want to buy something made in the UK from a small supplier then check out Lily's Kitchen; another pate food. Loads more info on the A-Z list as already pointed out by Buffie.

While I agree with Kunzy re the dry food, I disagree on the wet food for the reasons outlined by Dougal22. They are complementary foods (although Almo Nature would not formally declare their food as such) that are best just seen as treat foods. In addition to them not contain all the nutrients cats need, they also tend to be too low in fat and their texture tends to create fussy eaters. And you pay through your teeth for that - no thanks!

At the end of the day, certain foods are certainly better than others (in terms of dry the more money you spend the better the food tends to be; but the same doesn't hold true with wet food, where it is more of a case of availability) but it comes down to what your cats eat and what agrees. Sod's law is that what might look great on paper is going to be spurned by your lot. But certainly worth a try.

12. Marley boy

Marley boy PetForums VIP

Hi thanks for the in depth reply. I got Elvis from a friend of a friend he lived in a really horrible house, full of fleas and not very hygenic at all. I was told by the lady that he had never eaten kitten food just adult whiskas :( so when i brought him home the first thing i did was gradually wean him on to kitten food, as reccomended by my vet. His tummy really didnt agree with this change over. I put him on boild chicken and rice and his tummy was fine (no runny poo, and less fluffing:D) I started again gradually trying him on different food. The ones i have tried are jwb, purely, natures menu and whiskas, only because that was what he was used to eating. I have found some of these made an improvement for a while but never cleared up his problem completely.

I havent been able to narrow down what he is sensitive to, but chicken does wonders for him. when I first took him to the vets he was put on medication to see if he had a bacterial infection and also had a poo sample taken but showed nothing. The only thing that does improve him is Diarsanyl Plus Cat Anti Diarrhoea Oral Paste.

to be honest i am willing to spend whatever on cat food if it means improving the situation. He is alot better now than when i first got him and is completely fine in himself, i just dread cleaning the litter tray out sometimes. Also if you catch him by suprise he fluffs somthing rotten lol. oh yeah he has never been sick with it.

I really think the conditions he was kept in as a young kitten had alot to do with his tummy troubles:( i know i shouldnt have got him but i felt so sorry for him, i gave the woman some money for him so she could get her cat spayed, which i am pleased to say she has :) Good job he is the most loving friendly cat ever (despite being terrorized by the woman's crazy chi since he was old enough to walk) otherwise i might feel a tad resentful of him. :D

13. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Gosh, I never asked. How old is Elvis? Was he ok poopwise when you got him? And how long have you had him for now?

Have you considered feeding him raw? Have you ever tried them on it? Although not ideal, it will do no harm to feed them supermarket/butcher mince or meat chunks to see whether that is something that would appeal to them and agree with Elvis.

If they do like it and it agrees then there are a couple of companies that provide preprepared raw minces. One of them is Darlings who make minces for dogs and cats that broadly follow the ratios that are needed to create their natural prey and to provide them with the nutrients you need (well, apart from taurine for cats but you can add a powder or feed some more taurine-rich food to make up for the loss due to the mincing).

Otherwise, as I have said in the other post, try some pate minces as they tend to contain less crap than the ones in jelly/gravy. Considering that he has eaten Nature's Menu, it sounds as though he may not be adverse to the texture. If you don't mind trying out different foods, then place an order with zooplus and order some Grau Gourmet, Bozita pate tetrapaks and perhaps some Animonda. They offer free delivery from £19. They also sell small trial bags of Orijen, Acana and Applaws.

In addition to the stuff you already use, or instead of, you can also try prokolin, which is a paste that contains clay and probiotics to help re-establish the gut flora and the clay helps to get rid of any loose poop. The odd tiny bit of probiotic yoghurt can also help.

#13 hobbs2004, Mar 26, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2011
    Marley boy likes this.
  14. Marley boy

Marley boy PetForums VIP

Elvis is 9 months old now and i have had him since he was 9 weeks old, his poo wasnt normal when i got him. I will order some trial bags of Animonda and Acana. Also i will get some more natures menu as when i bought this i noticed an improvement in his poo. He was still on whiskas dry aswell at the time wich was probably undoing the good that natures menu was doing for him. Hopefully i will get somewhere now thank you for you help, I just didnt know what to look for in cat food. Thelama on the other hand can eat anything so i was just used to buying anything that looked tasty on the self lol. :D i will give the prokolin ago, my mum used this on her dog. I think you can get it from vet uk can't you?

15. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

I made a mistake in the post above - please don't get the Animonda dry food (the wet is good) - it is not very good. I meant to type Applaws. :eek:

Yes, you can get prokolin from vet uk.

Also do try those pate wet foods from zooplus. Cheaper than NM, with a higher meat content and no sugars.

16. Marley boy

Marley boy PetForums VIP

oh right ok i just put it in my basket online lol i will change to applaws and i have also added some Bozita Paté Cat Food:)

17. Doolally

Doolally PetForums Senior

Sorry Hobbs, don't mean to be dense, but what is the crude ash? and what's its significance?

18. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Nothing dense about it. Crude ash, (or what used to be called just "ash") also known as the inorganic matter, refers to the mineral content of a food - i.e. the calcium, phosphorus, sodium, potassium, magnesium. So, quite a vital part of any food.

According to the figures for sodium and magnesium they sent through for that food, it contains Magnesium 1.047% and Sodium 1.122% in the crude analysis. Now typically a dry food contains about 0.08-0.1% magnesium - not 1%. Same with Sodium. So if these figures are correct, and I have queried them but not heard back, they are way out.

In addition to a dry texture, a high ash content in dry food is often blamed for cats developing UTI - though people cannot quite agree on what a high ash content is. However, a few peeps on here and I have pulled together quite a bit of data on the mineral content of dry food available in the UK and 9.5% is towards the high end of the scale in our list.

19. Dante

Dante PetForums VIP

In terms of Fish4Cats, which I saw you mention - Unless you buy one of their huge bags, it's actually more expensive £/kg wise than some of the better/higher meat content foods like Hobbs mentioned so imo, picking one of those would be better all round. Worked this out AFTER I'd bought a bag (which they love, don't get me wrong) of course. Will be moving mine onto Applaws when they come to the end of this bag.

I just have to say aswell, as I keep seeing your signature around, that I think Elvis is absolutely gorgeous! Love ginger furbabies and he appears to be particularly ginger and fwuffy! :001_wub:

20. Marley boy

Marley boy PetForums VIP

awww thank you he is mega fluffy his tail is like a bush, i love running my fingers through his fur:001_wub:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice