UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so we're finally almost at the end of Marley's food trials. For months now I've had to add various food stuffs to his hills prescription venison and pea diet to try and ascertain exactly what things trigger a reaction in him. It costs £50 a month currently for the prescription diet and the food itself isn't viable as a long tern feeding solution for cats.

The foods Marley was ok with are chicken, lamb, fish and egg.

Beef caused a slight reaction and the cottage cheese which he was only on for four days has caused him to lose all the fur round his eye so dairy is out.As soon as the reaction stabilizes and the fur has grown back I have to try adding rice and that'll be it.

Does anyone know any ready prepared foods that might offer a combination of ingredients that Marley can tolerate? So many shop bought foods have such low meat contents and include derivatives of loads of other stuff.

Help!

·
Registered
10,685 Posts
Hello, glad to hear that you are getting to the bottom of his allergies. And so far, his allergies really aren't that limiting, are they?

If you don't mind buying food online, then there is Grau, which you can get on zooplus, which is single flavour meat (with just a little whole grain rice mixed in) - 89% meat. If he is ok with rice then that should be ok. It is a dense pate, though, not sure whether cat is ok with that.

Then there is one German petfood - petnatur - which again is single flavour meat - 90+% meat content, this one is without rice, or other grains. And it is mostly organic. Or Lily's kitchen with 65% meat content- at least they are very transparent in their ingredients.

Perhaps this will be stating the obvious, but you could feed raw, such as complete raw minces, that are single flavour and no fillers.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
i'm going to echo hobbs on the grau!

Here is some of the ingredients for the foods you know he can tolerate:

Poultry with Whole-Grain Rice: poultry (approx. 65%), poultry entrails (approx. 24%), whole-grain rice (approx. 4%), minerals, vitamins and taurine.

Lamb with Whole-Grain Rice: lamb (approx. 65%), lamb entrails (approx. 24%), whole-grain rice(approx. 4%), minerals, vitamins and taurine.

Turkey with Whole-Grain Rice: turkey (approx. 65%), turkey entrails (approx. 24%), whole-grain rice(approx. 4%), minerals, vitamins and taurine.

other brands to consider would be

EVO turkey and chicken kitten n cat- their food is high in the meats he can tolerate, however it does have a very very small amount of lactose hydrolysised (means the lactose is removed down to the single amino acid chain rather than the allergen causing lactose) cottage cheese. .... Evo chicken and turkey 95% canned has no cottage cheese, Evo duck and evo vennison again are 95% meat, and have none other the other allergens youve mentioned! .... downside means ordering from usa :(

Another usa brand would be wellness.

Their chicken formula would suit i think:
Chicken, Chicken Liver, Turkey, Chicken Broth, Carrots, Natural Chicken Flavor, Sweet Potatoes, Squash, Zucchini, Cranberries, Blueberries, Guar Gum, Dicalcium Phosphate, Carrageenan, Ground Flaxseed, Potassium Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Taurine, Iron Proteinate (a source of Chelated Iron), Beta-Carotene, Zinc Proteinate (a source of Chelated Zinc), Vitamin E Supplement, Choline Chloride, Cobalt Proteinate (a source of Chelated Cobalt), Thiamine Mononitrate, Copper Proteinate (a source of Chelated Copper), Folic Acid, Manganese Proteinate (a source of Chelated Manganese), Niacin, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Potassium Iodide, Biotin.
This is a naturally preserved product.

Most of wellness's complete canned foods would suit, apart from their beef variety.

Natural balance cat foods (if you can get it let me know because the only supplier i knew in the uk no longer stocks it!), do some excellent complete allergy formulas. However their other formulas would also be suitable based on your list of no-no's.

Feline feyre from asda, their chicken and duck seem suitable.

Naures menu chicken and turkey also seem to fit,

porta 21 - most of their recipies seem to fit

Hope that helps!

oh and yes i agree.... raw would be so much easier!

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The Grau looks promising. I can use the lamb and rice one for the rice trial as I know that Marley is ok with lamb and it'll save me forking out yet another £50 on hills :)

I'm proper squeamish with raw meat and so would struggle prepping it daily for the Marlster. I much prefer shoveling food from a tin or box and not thinking too much about what it actually is!

·
Registered
10,685 Posts
I'm proper squeamish with raw meat and so would struggle prepping it daily for the Marlster. I much prefer shoveling food from a tin or box and not thinking too much about what it actually is!
Agree, getting food from the tin is easier but in all honesty, taking raw mince out of a pack from the fridge is not that much harder. I am vegetarian and haven't handled meat in a long time (20 years or so) but I don't mind feeding my cats raw or even handling their stuff. :)

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Agree, getting food from the tin is easier but in all honesty, taking raw mince out of a pack from the fridge is not that much harder. I am vegetarian and haven't handled meat in a long time (20 years or so) but I don't mind feeding my cats raw or even handling their stuff. :)
What sort of mince do you use? Does that provide a complete diet?

·
Registered
10,685 Posts
I use Darlings mince - which is either chicken, beef or lamb. They are complete, with 80% meat, 10% bones and 10% offal. You can get a trial pack of 3kg for £10, so that is quite a good deal if you want to try it out to see whether it is for you or your cat. (They are bit pricey but they source their meat from free-range, local farms). Then there is Woldsway who do mined rabbit, including bones etc.

Their website is currently only showing their dogs stuff but if you email Vicky at Darlings then she will tell you about the cat minces they do - unless they have gotten round to updating their website since I was last there.

They are complete (but if you have read the other posts) I still add a little taurine powder to mine or there are days when they get chicken or lamb's heart or shrimps.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Darlings would be the easiest introduction into a raw diet for you. Just supplement with some prawns and heart a few times a week. You can even buy chopped frozen heart at most petshops, or ask a butcher to prepare some for you (supermarket butchers usually stock heart too, you can ask them to dice it). The final stage would be to introduce some Raw meaty bones to help with dentition and jaw muscles. Raw chicken wings are ideal as a weekly treat.

Hope that helps x

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I use Darlings mince - which is either chicken, beef or lamb. They are complete, with 80% meat, 10% bones and 10% offal. You can get a trial pack of 3kg for £10, so that is quite a good deal if you want to try it out to see whether it is for you or your cat. (They are bit pricey but they source their meat from free-range, local farms). Then there is Woldsway who do mined rabbit, including bones etc.

Their website is currently only showing their dogs stuff but if you email Vicky at Darlings then she will tell you about the cat minces they do - unless they have gotten round to updating their website since I was last there.

They are complete (but if you have read the other posts) I still add a little taurine powder to mine or there are days when they get chicken or lamb's heart or shrimps.
I have just sent them an email. It can't hurt to ask afterall. It'd also be nice to find a diet that Layla can enjoy as well as Marley. It's a proper pain at the minute trying to keep their food separate.

Possibly another thick question but what is taurine powder & what is it for? If it's a neccessity then where can it be bought from and how much should be used?

Apologies for the question overload :eek:

·
Registered
10,685 Posts
Check out the sticky on taurine in cats - loads of info in there. As a lot of people would argue - if you feed a lot of hearts, dark meats and prawns (for example) then you don't have to supplement either synthetically with powder or naturally with more hearts etc.

I do both, depending on what they get that day.

If however you feed commercial cat food, then they typically do not contain enough of this essential stuff - all in the sticky!

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
ooooh well this is where hobbs and i disagree - well sort of.

Taurine is ESSENTIAL in a cats diet, i cannot stress this enough.

Most diets should contain the right amount of taurine, but very few actualyl state how much is in their foods.

Taurine is found in all meat, but its at its highest concentration of striated long cell muscle and cardiac muscle. These are the meats highest in taurine

1 - shellfish, prawns, clams, scallops etc
2 - poultry hearts
3 - other hearts (lamb ox rabbit etc)
4 - tongue, cheek, breast muscles

Or you can buy a synthetic taurine powder online, and either mix with a bit of water and pour on your cats food, or sprinkle the powder on. I believe each brand is slightly different instructions. Hobbs is the best to explain about the powders.

When feeding a cat you have 3 options.

1 - use a commercial diet and hope it has enough
2 - supplement using a synthetic taurine powder
3 - supplement using natural meats.

I prefer the natural method of supplementation, hobbs prefers the synthetic. Neither is right or wrong, its personal preference. I dont like adding lots of synthetic substances so i go for the natural method.

Taurine cannot be stored in the body, so its very very difficult to overdose it however the consequenses of having to little are dire. Any excess is filtered out by the kidneys. I would only ever be concerned about a taurine o/d if i was treating a cat with known kidney problems.

·
Registered
10,685 Posts
I just found this in terms of taurine levels mg/kg (mean/range) based on a post in another forum,which sources this info from Taurine concentrations in animal feed ingredients; cooking influences taurine content(A. R. Spitze et al)

Mouse 240mg

BEEF
Beef, mechanically deboned 77
Beef carcass 296
Beef 430 +/-80
Beef, road kill 296 (61-625)
Beef, lean 313 (277-348)
Beef, boiled 380 +/- 10
Ground, <30% fat 363,5 (334-385)
Ground, <25% fat 283 (283-283)
Ground, premium, <15% fat 398
Ground, fried, without juices,< 25%fat 501
Ground, fried, without juices,< 30%fat 509(501-517)
Ground, sirloin fried with juices 816(775-856)
Ground,fried with juices, <25%fat 353 (320-385)
Ground, fried with juices, <30%fat 552(488-616)
Gullet 804 (790-817)
Heart 652 ((254-851)
Kidney 225 (180-247)
Kidney, baked 138 (130-144)
Kidney, boiled 76 (68-88)
Liver 688(401-1023)
Liver, baked 141 (68-184)
Liver, boiled 73 (36-95)
Livers meal, animal 3672
Lung 956 (781-1033)
Meat and bonemeal 386 (85-1056)
Meat meal 1150

POULTRY
Chicken, raw, boneless skinless breast 159 (102-216)
Chicken, fried, with juices, breast............. 186 (145-227)
Chicken, fried without juices, breast .............129 (0)
Chicken, boiled, breast, without juices.........103 (85-120)
Chicken, head and feet&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;.500 (419-581)
Chicken, necks and backs&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;.584 (420-990)
Chicken, heart and liver&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;.1179 (888-1561)
Chicken, liver&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;.1100

Shrimp, freshwater, de-shelled,large...310 (305-315)
Shrimp, medium........................ .........390 + 130
Shrimp, cooked, small.......................11 0+/- 10

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.