Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice on buying zebra finches please!

Discussion in 'Bird Chat' started by hargru, Nov 21, 2012.

1. hargru

hargru PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone!

My partner and myself would really like to get a couple of zebra finches. I've been researching the breed for a while and they feel like they would be best for us (and vice versa!). I just have a few questions beforehand as I really want to make sure we really look after the birds we get.

1. We do not want to breed any birds, so it is ok to get 2 zebra finches of the same sex? If so is there any difference between getting 2 males or 2 females? I understand that you can reduce the chances of breeding by not having a nest, but if same gender birds are happy together I would rather do that.

2. Would they be happy being based in one room? We would base them in a cage and let them out to fly around but do they need a change of environments?

3. If we were to move house in the future, would the moving from one room to another be stressful for them?

4. Our local pet shop sells zebra finches - are there any points I should consider when buying from a pet shop rather than a breeder?

Any advice much appreciated! I know we would care for them well, I just want to make sure we are making an informed decision.

Thanks everybody :smile5:

Ruth

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice