Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Advice on buying rabbit

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Noreenjahangir, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Noreenjahangir

Noreenjahangir PetForums Newbie

Im looking into buying baby rabbits but at present only 2 males available. But extremely scared of getting them neutered. Can they be left as they are? Theyr from one litter.

I ideally want to get some from rescue centre but not many young ones are available. Pls advise

2. bunnygeek

bunnygeek PetForums Junior

Is there a reason you only want young ones? Unfortunately two unneutered males WILL fight once they get to 14 weeks or so, they are known to neuter each other with their teeth, savage!!

Where are you located? I adopted my original pair when they were 4 years old, sadly had one put to sleep two months ago, but his sister is now 12 years old with a new toy-bun hubby whose a year old. (They are in my avatar)

Don’t dismiss the older buns! They may already be neutered and their temperaments will have settled too so you’ll be able to find a happy pair that matches your lifestyle.

3. Noreenjahangir

The only reason really was i thougt a baby would be better cos itd b easier to bond with it. No other reason. Im in croydon area. Sorry about bun havin to b put down must have been very sad.understand how that feels. Thanx for advice mayb older one will be better and lookinv into rescue rabbits instead as theyd already be neutered cant c them go through that pain.

4. bunnygeek

You can bond with an older bun just as easily as a baby, without having to go through the trauma of their hormones (aka their teenage phase) and then neutering. Once a bun knows who brings the food, you’ll be their bestie

If you can travel, there’s a good few rescues around West Sussex and around there.

5. Noreenjahangir

Brill thanx for advice. Which rescue centres are there? Are they online/have website? I can travel

6. bunnygeek

7. Noreenjahangir

Is it best to check online or popin. Thanx

8. bunnygeek

Look online first and send them an email, sometimes it may take a day or two for them to respond. Not all of them will be open for visits without appointments :)

9. Wild With Roxi

Wild With Roxi i love Animals too much

Baby Bunnies are harder to bond with than settled adults IMO.
    Baby buns are also harder work, like puppies or human babies. But it can be rewarding in the long run.

Neutering isn't that bad, they get over it quickly enough. And it isn't painful really, they're under anesthetic and when they wake up they're done.
    There's very little chance of it going wrong too. So if you'd rather adopt a bonded, neutered pair or get the two babies and neuter them it's up to you.

10. VickynHolly

VickynHolly PetForums VIP

I thought spaying or neutering a rabbit is a risk, sorry do not want to scare anybody but that is what I have heard. Much more risky than getting a dog or cat done. Rabbits do not come around quickly, more females though, they should eat and poo though, otherwise something is wrong, rabbits need to eat. Just make sure your vet is rabbit savvy, rabbits should be eating right up until the op, do not starve them. And make sure you get pain meds, not all vets give them for rabbits!.
    But yes 2 unneutered males will fight. I have 2 unspayed females, they are 14 months old, but they are litter sisters. I am thinking of getting them spayed. But if you get 2 make sure they go together for all vet appointments.
    And critical care is always handy to have, just in case :)

11. Noreenjahangir

12. Noreenjahangir

What combination of rabbits are best? Brother sister, male male, male female, female female? Pls advise opinion. The more im reading up on the more im getting confused

13. bunnygeek

Neutered male, spayed female is the most stable pairing, properly bonded of course. They don’t have to be siblings, they don’t have to be the same age. All that counts from a bunny perspective is a compatible personality.

14. Noreenjahangir

Need some
    Advice for hutch bedding. Ive been advised by pets at home to put woodshavings on bottom of hutch not pine. Did that. Do i still need to add layer of hay on there? Anything else i need to do. Also how often does this need to be cleaned. Also have litter tray in corner with wood pellets

15. bunnygeek

I never used woodshavings, but used fleece blankets with newspaper underneath and masses of hay on top. Some buns will chew blankets some won’t. More likely to chew if they don’t have 24/7 access to a secure run.

It will need a full clean once a week but needs twice daily spot cleans for pee and poop.

PAH own brand hay is rubbish. Look on the Hay Experts website for lots of different brands to try. I like Dean’s Farm hay.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice