Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice on buying a puppy.

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by sallyanne, Jul 8, 2008.

1. rosamari

rosamari PetForums Newbie

I also recommend to check the breeder attitude for example a ethic one will ask you where do you life, and your activities to see is you match with the dog, if the dog is not right for you, he or she should not sell it

2. Dogs4Evar

Dogs4Evar PetForums Junior

This is some truly brilliant information. If it's your first time buying a puppy, please, please, please use this as a guide.

You won't find a higher quality piece of information regarding buying a puppy than this thread, right here.

3. Cas87

Cas87 PetForums Newbie

Don't be surprised if the breeder of the dog/puppy requires a home check.. it's becoming more common now (Although not always) And is definitely a good thing :)

4. bellasy

bellasy PetForums Newbie

This is really a good advice for everyone. Getting a puppy is really not a joke. We should also treat them nicely. We have to feed them, pamper them and play with them. Just like us humans! :)

5. duqropl

duqropl PetForums Newbie

Very nice information about the pet. I was looking to buy a pet and after reading this post, I will be concentrate on the points that you have mentioned. Thanks a lots for posting this.

6. Phoenixeternia

Phoenixeternia PetForums Newbie

A great post. I found the information very helpful as well as the other comments.
    I'm hoping to get a dog in the near future, a husky in fact but I don't feel I have enough space for a dog of that breed where I live so I'm waiting until we move and my son is a little older so he can be responsible with the dog (young children tend to pull tails and fur hes only 2yrs) and I can devote more time to the dog.
    but basically I hadn't even thought about the things raised in the post and this will really help me with choosing a breeder and what sort of things to ask.

7. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

Following much mooching on the free ads i feel compelled to say -

DO NOT BUY A PUPPY AT THE SAME TIME AS OR JUST BEFORE THE ARRIVAL OF A NEW BABY !!!!!!!!

Unless you have had both before and TRULY understand the work involved in having both at the same time :eek:

Keep on seeing this as a reason for very young puppies being rehomed
    :eek:ut: :(.

8. fogy

fogy PetForums Member

Good advice
    I'm looking into buying a Newfy and found talking to the newfoundland stall at crufts very helpful. I also search for uk newfy forums and email people all my questions. Its so important to do your research before because that cute lil ball of fluff doesnt stay little for long!

9. magicmike

magicmike PetForums Junior

Good information here especially for newbies. I'm sure a lot people thinking of getting their first puppy can benefit from this.

10. Alfshuman

Alfshuman time to stop work and start playing

I saw this posted on Facebook today and it is such a shocking image I decided to add it to this forum. It refers to dogs bought from shops as having come from puppy mills (puppy farms in the UK). This could apply equally to dogs bought from other sources too - internet adverts, ads in newspapers etc.

BUYER BEWARE! DO YOUR RESEARCH BEFORE BUYING ANY DOG IF YOU DON'T WANT TO PERPETUATE THIS TERRIBLE TRADE AND REGRET YOUR CHOICE AT LEISURE WHEN YOU FIND YOUR DOG HAS UNEXPECTED HEALTH PROBLEMS.

[​IMG]

#210 Alfshuman, Jun 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  11. william04

william04 PetForums Newbie

Hey, why not see which pups are available in your local sanctuary? Not only are you helping make an unwanted dog's life happy - they will have had a full checkup by a vet, and will be neutered and vaccinated as a matter of course too (which is cheaper). Also, consider getting a medium or smaller dog, especially a crossed or mixed breed - they seem to live longer and have fewer health problems than larger and/or thoroughbred dogs. : )

12. Alfshuman

Alfshuman time to stop work and start playing

Two sides to the coin:

Great to give a home to an unwanted dog (BIG tick)
    Won't suffer from SOME genetic conditions common in purebred (tick)
    MAY live longer than some pedigrees (tick)
    Many have the loveliest temperaments ever (tick)

Don't have a clue what behaviourial problems you are getting as a result of past bad treatment and/or breeding (cross)
    Can still suffer from some genetic conditions (cross)
    Don't have records of life expectancy you might get with a pedigree (cross)
    It's one way that the puppy mills get rid of their unwanted 'used' bitches, so You are making it easier for them to operate (cross)

#212 Alfshuman, Jun 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  13. bugsalot

bugsalot PetForums Member

i totally agree with sally :)

14. Beckybop

Beckybop PetForums Newbie

Great thread, certainly some good advice!

15. russelgrane

russelgrane PetForums Newbie

People should first take the health test of the puppy which they gonna to buy. The Sire and Dam of the litter are tested before the mating takes place and are only used if the results are acceptable.

16. pollydog

pollydog PetForums Newbie

Actually reputable rescues will have done a behavioural assessment and will match the dog to the family. They will also have vet checked all animals and you'll get a full vet history, so you know what you're getting and the likely treatment costs. Some rescues will even help with the cost of long term treatment to help animals find new homes. You also won't have the cost of neutering, vaccination and microchipping either as all this will have been done for you. all in all a far better and safer option than buying a puppy. To find a reputable rescue visit the ADCH (association of dogs and cats homes).

17. Goblin

Goblin PetForums VIP

18. Shiningstone

Shiningstone PetForums Newbie

I would agree with you since my brother bought a puppy for a high price and the puppy didn’t survive for more than six months, He had a digestion problem. Health is an important factor which needs attention of dog lovers.

19. pawsforthought58

pawsforthought58 PetForums Junior

Great advice Sallyanne

I'm on the verge of buying a dog and it's very scary! Not sure who you can trust these days unfortunately, as some bad breeders are KC reg. It is indeed a minefield and if you've never had a dog before it can be a very daunting time.

Wish me luck to find a happy healthy dog who will be by my side for many years to come.

20. william04

william04 PetForums Newbie

Wish you best of luck:thumbup:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice