Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice on Buying a kitten with one eye!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Stellabells, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Stellabells

Stellabells PetForums Newbie

Hi,

I am just looking for some advice, a couple of weeks back now I put a large deposit down on our dream kitten, we had been looking to add a Maine coon kitten to our family for some time now. We had done some research and looked in to breeder and what a Maine coon would needs to be a happy cat! We found the most perfect little girl and contacted the breeder. Everything was perfect.

Two weeks before picking our girl up we got a text saying there is something wrong and that she has been rushed to the vets, this went on for a while, with very little information coming through to us. Eventually we have found out she has had one of her eyes removed.

We are not entirely sure how to move forward with the and what to expect.
    Will she need special treatment
    Will she live a full and healthy life
    Do we need to make different living arrangements
    Should we be looking to pay the full amount

Please any information is much appreciated!

Stella.

2. oliviarussian

oliviarussian Meeoow!

I think you need the full information from the breeder about exactly what happened, was it an accident or illness? Is it something that could affect her other eye?
    I don’t think you can make an informed choice without all the details
    Having just one eye shouldn’t affect her quality of life at all

SbanR, vivien, spotty cats and 5 others like this.
  3. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hello @Stellabells and welcome :)

I am very sorry to hear about your kitten's loss of an eye. I agree with Oliviarussian you need to know the full circumstances of how it happened, including a report from the vet, ideally.

But even if the vet report is reassuring to you, you are not legally obliged to go through with the purchase of this particular kitten, because your contract with the breeder was not for a partially sighted kitten. Therefore you would be entitled to a refund of your deposit.

However, if the vet report is reassuring I do realise you may want to go ahead with the transaction anyway, as you have fallen for this little kitty. In which case my view is you should be able to negotiate a lower price with the breeder.

4. popcornsmum

popcornsmum Popcorn relaxing!

You’ve been been given great advice from the others but I totally recommend messaging littleman_mika on Instagram as they have 2 adorable blind cats and a beautiful girl Leela with one eye and can give you advice! https://www.instagram.com/littleman_mika

vivien likes this.
  5. Stellabells

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your replies, I will definitely be chasing up some more information from the breeder she isn’t being the most open about it all. We are hoping to continue with her purchase as she is an adorable little soul and we are all so prepared for her now it’s just we were all a bit shocked and want to make sure we can give her the best!

Thank you for the link I will definitely look into contacting them!,

Stella Xx

6. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

The breeder doesn’t have to be open and forthcoming while sorting things out, the kitten is still theirs.
    Sometimes when energy must be focused on a situation the potential kitten buyer is the last thing on the breeders mind.

Negotiating price is often seen as rude, pet price is for a pet kitten which is what you’d be getting, whether the breeder offers anything is at their discretion.

Of course if this breeder isn’t the right fit for you then it’s best to walk away and find another.

Tigermoon and vivien like this.
  7. Stellabells

The breeder has a duty of care to her kittens. You would not go out and pay 850 for a kitten who has been blinded while under her care. You as a buyer have rights and protection as well. And as for the kitten, we see her as ours, we deposited a substantial amount of money on her! I’m sure the breeder wouldn’t breed if she was going to keep them all for herself so I regard the buyer as important as the breeder. We feel quite weepy at times , so sad that as a kitten she no longer has the sight of both her eyes. If I was a breeder I would have kept her myself and cared for her , take all my profit out of the equation and fulfil my duty as a breeder !

8. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

I agree with all the other posters. You need to know if it was an accident or illness that’s caused her to lose her eye. 40 years ago one of my cats lost an eye. He had been shot with an air rifle. We were so young and nieve, that when the vet said he had pulled a slug from behind his ear, we thought it was a garden slug. :oops: In those days they didn’t take the eye out like they do now. But he lived until he was 11. The vet thinks he got kidney failure due to the amount of operations he had to have on his eye.but he was happy and went out and did all the things he did before he was shot.
    Please don’t feel you have to take her unless she is what you want.

Viv xx

9. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

I tend to agree, sad to say as it is a transaction and the kitten has been to put it crudely damaged. If it was an illness the breeder had no control over I would see it one way and if it was through accidental injury, I would give the buyer a discount.
    Frankly, I think it is only polite the breeder does tell the nature and cause of the injury.
    That said, I think most likely the kitten will lead a normal life, and be as happy as any other cat.

10. Stellabells

The kitten was blinded by a scratch from one of the other kittens. We are going ahead with the purchase as we saw hers as ours when we made the decision to deposit on her. We feel for Ivy as that is the name we are calling her , losing an eye as a kitten after only just opening them is sad. We have spoken with the breeder and agreed a reduced price on her which we feel is fair , and still in line with a lot of the other breeders of Maine Coons prices , just we were hoping on having her as a show neuter, so had to slightly change our plans , she is an absolutely beautiful cat.

Soozi, oliviarussian and lymorelynn like this.
  11. oliviarussian

oliviarussian Meeoow!

I hope you come back and introduce your new babe when you get her home as I for one would love to see her x

12. Stellabells

We definitely will ❤️

oliviarussian likes this.
  13. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

I’m very happy for you and Ivy you obviously felt an instant bond with her and I’m sure you will have many happy years together! Congratulations.

14. Minuscule

Minuscule PetForums Senior

Glad you are going ahead and will offer her a lovely home :) she deserves a better start in life!

Soozi and chillminx like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice