Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Advice on breeding

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Stacey Jones, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Stacey Jones

Stacey Jones PetForums Newbie

I have an 22 month old male huskamute.
    He is my first dog of this sort of breed and I have my mates constantly pestering me to breed him with their staff bitch. Others have told me not to because of obvious reasons, that they won't go well.
    He gets on with the staff.

Just looking for some advice about this if I'm honest as I'm new to the forum also.

Thank you.

2. NFC slave

NFC slave PetForums Senior

Why for goodness sake? A husky x malamute x staffie, how on earth would those pups turn out, could be pretty or ...

Lurcherlad likes this.
  3. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

No, no, nopity nope no.

Neuter your boy, enjoy him as a pet, don't breed him. The world is not short of mixed breeds with competing drives that makes them all sorts of confused and complicated to own. There is ZERO reason to breed him.

Please encourage your friends to spay their bitch too.

4. ShibaPup

ShibaPup PetForums VIP

Please don't - just enjoy your boy.

Go to a rescue - visit the Staffies and various crosses that are put up for rehoming, ending up euthanised every single day for the simple reason there aren't enough homes and people who want them.

Husky and Malamutes are the total opposite to a Staff - they aren't a good combination at all, you'll have a various mix of puppies that will have very confused drives and not the easiest to own.

The size difference could be fatal for the bitch - large pups could get stuck, requiring emergency surgery or intervention which can run into the thousands. Not to mention pregnancy risks and risk of pyometra, much safer for the bitch to be spayed.

5. Northpup

Northpup PetForums Senior

Please don’t breed him!
    A huskamute is not a breed it’s a cross and so breeding him with a staff will just create more mongrel puppies when there are already so many in shelters!
    Why do your friends want to breed their staffy bitch? There are so many staffies and crosses in rescue and unless she is of a really high quality and an incredible example of her breed then they shouldn’t even be thinkjng about it. Female dogs should be spayed unless breeding as each season they have increases their risk of mammary cancer greatly.
    Dogs that are being bred should be health tested (this involves x rays, bloods sent off to labs etc and is very costly!)
    You have been very smart to research before listening to your friends ridiculous ideas. Breeding could change your lovely dogs temperament and it would be incredibly irresponsible of you to be a part of bringing more ill thought out litters into the world.
    A husky x malamute x staffy mix is a terrible idea.
    Please tell your friends that breeding their bitch is not in her best interests at all. How old is their bitch?

Well done for researching, there is plenty more info and articles online about the incredible amount of detail and cost that goes into properly breeding and the affects it can have.
    Hope this helps :)

6. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Terrible idea, I'm afraid.

45% of all dogs in rescue are Staffies or Staffy Crosses last time I checked.

There is not one single good reason for such a mating.

Do be aware also that some males, having mated a bitch, can become aggressive towards other males.

Please try to persuade your friends to have their bitch spayed. It's the responsible thing to do.

7. Stacey Jones

Stacey Jones PetForums Newbie

Thank you very much for the replies, it has eased my mind on a few things as I got told by a family member that my dog could end up badly hurting the staff or if she manages to get through that then the birth could badly hurt her.

But my friend is adamant that won't happen. The staff is also about 2 years old I think or maybe younger, but as people can see Lupa, (my dog) the picture he isn't a small dog, he weighs 42kilo and I had him weighed at the middle of last month.

Personally I think they want me to breed Lupa with their staff cause of the money for the pups etc, I've had Lupa from 7 weeks old and his temperament with me is great but with others, he can sometimes be temperamental, but he's not so keen on dogs smaller than him so it would frighten me with how he would be with pups.

I very much appreciate all the help that people are giving me regarding this, so I have a much better understanding of things.

8. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Thank you for listening. To add -
    - this is another good reason not to breed, there is now much more understanding that temperament is an inherited trait. While it's lovely that you and he have an understanding; his anxiety with others is another issue that is best stopped with him and not passed to future generations.

9. Northpup

Northpup PetForums Senior

Your friend probably doesn’t care! They want profit from selling random pups and calling them husky crosses so people will be more interested!
    A dog the size of lupa and a staff could be a disaster.
    There is absolutely no reason to let him be bred, don’t let them convince you to risk the temperament and therefore possibly enjoyment of your dog purely for their own irresponsible exploitation for profit.
    Just have a look on rescues now and see how many staffs and crosses are available, if you let him breed you would be part of this problem of backyard breeding and full rescues.
    Thanks for listening and I hope all the info can help you :)

10. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Please be assured that your friend is talking rubbish.

It appears to me that your friend is determined to mate her poor bitch at all costs, without thought to the consequences.

I do second that no dog should ever be bred from that is not extremely sound in temperament.

I think your friend is money motivated and is prepared to use her young bitch to her advantage.

11. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

Can I just add to this that your friend won't know it's happening until it happens .... the bitch will go into giving birth naturally and labour will start ....but the first puppy ....or sometimes the second puppy will get stuck in the birth canal as the size and shape will be too great for her .... this will almost immediately result in the loss of life of that puppy but from this moment onwards, time is of the essence as an emergency cesarian is the only way the bitch will be saved. As these events usually happen overnight, the vet will need to be woken and the the bitch rushed to the Vet. And your friend will be left with a bill quite probably in excess of £1000. And quite likely only one or two puppies will survive. So please pass this on to your friend. It really isn't worth it.

You are making the right decision not to be drawn into this.

J

12. EmCHammer

EmCHammer PetForums VIP

As someone who volunteers at a rescue both breeds of dogs are hard to rehome, and mixes of the two (had a few) were not overly popular at all so your friend could find herself stuck with pups that they can't sell, and wouldn't imagine they would be worth a fortune anyway - not really a 'fashionable' mix anyway.

Of my current 2 dogs, (rescues so I know you take your chances) their breeders can't have really put much thought into breeding them or not cared that one at aged 6 is on constant painkillers and has just had his third surgery for his joints and will never be the dog he should be he started with joint problems aged 3. The other dog is very nervy and anxious, as can his brothers and sisters be. Did the people who bred them (and dumped one and his sister in the park) really think about their future lives and future health issues and what their new poor owners would have to deal with and manage

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice