Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice on bonding different sexes?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Rubyrubes, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Rubyrubes

Rubyrubes PetForums Member

After some advice please :)
    To cut a long story short I have 2 bunnies, thought they were 2 males but found out one is female after she had a litter of 8 two wks ago! Dad was removed and was neutered today, mum will be spayed once the babies are weaned and have new homes. Id love to keep one of the babies but wondering if it makes a difference if we keep a girl or a boy? What would work best?
    Ideally id like the 3 of them to all live together but no sure if this would work? How would i go about bonding them all to live happily?
    thanks ;)

2. Rubyrubes

Any advice anyone?? xx

3. B3rnie

B3rnie Guest

So long as everyone is neutered and spayed then there is no reason why a trio won't work :)

You need to pick the rabbits on personality for groups to work, I have had M,M,F trios and F,F,M trios with great success, but be aware that there is also every chance that it won't work :huh:

As for bonding them it is no different to bonding a pair but each stage can take a bit longer, one tip for groups is make sure you don't increase their space too soon as this is a major reason for groups not working :)

4. Rubyrubes

Thanks for your reply. How would I introduce them? Would I put mum back with dad once he's all healed and she's spayed, and the meantime the baby would be on its on then introduce the baby once mum and dad living happily again? Will baby be ok to live on its own for a bit until I can put in with mum and dad?
    Sorry, but clueless bout all this!

5. B3rnie

B3rnie Guest

8 weeks after mum and dads spay/neuter you can intro them on neutral territory, I would wait until after the baby is spayed or neutered before bonding them as you will have to keep the baby separate for 4 weeks after the op anyway.
    So long as you supply a cuddly teddy and plenty of things to do the baby should be fine alone until after the op :)

6. Rubyrubes

Thank you :)
    So would I introduce the 3 of them at the same time? What age can a baby be neutered/spayed? Dad was neutered yesterday, going to get mum spayed soon,do I have to get baby done before I let them live together? If so,they ate all going to be living in their own for a while!
    Re personality.....how do I know what ones would mix the best? Both my bunnies are quite chilled and calm so would I need another chilled/quiet one?
    :)

7. B3rnie

B3rnie Guest

No intro mum and dad 8 weeks after mum's spay.
    It depends on what sex you keep back as to what age the baby can be neutered/spayed. 6 months for a doe (although a rabbit savvy vet can spay once the rabbit has reached, 1kg I prefer to wait until 6 months.) or once the furry teabags have dropped for a buck.

For trio's to work it is best to only have one dominant rabbit, so IMO it would be best to keep back a submissive baby :)

8. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

was the dad in with the mum when you found the nest? If so she could be pregnant again and give birth 4 weeks after the last litter, I have know this happen. Its pretty exhausting on her body. She will start to pull fur from the babies to build a new nest.

9. Rubyrubes

Hi,
    Thanks for that advice, do really it doesn't matter what sex of the baby more the personality? Just hope mum and dad will live happily again.

Unfortunately yes the buck was in the hutch still as I didn't know she was about to give birth. I'm aware she could be pregnant again as getting advice from my vet but hoping she's not! They were born on 12th jan so if she's going to have more I work out it'll be around 10/11th feb so will look for signs of a nest next weekend.

My goodness I've never heard that she will pull fur from the babies to build a nest? If this happens should I take babies out? They are chomping on straw now so do I need to be attempting to wean them do they can survive without her soon if needed??

10. B3rnie

B3rnie Guest

Just treat her normally for now, IF she has another litter (hopefully she reabsorbed them) then you will have to wean the older babies, but cross that bridge when you come to it :)

11. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

I have seen it happen. You will need to move the old babies :( by 4 weeks they have started eating rabbit food and hay, which will be fine for them dont give them goat or kitten milk as it can cause bloat when there not used to it.

You might want to keep them until they are 10 weeks old to make sure they have a good immune system if you do have to move them early and as they are probably interbread.

I would make sure you have a spare hutch ready just incase, but fingers crossed she wont be

Your very lucky its so mild for this time of year

12. Rubyrubes

But if she starts taking fur from her babies surely I should take them out for their benefit? I just don't know what to do for the best!
    Also,if/when the babies are taken away from mum can I bring them inside my house so I can keep an eye on them better? They are currently in the garage.

13. Rubyrubes

My vet told me to use kitten or goats milk if I have to? Im going
    to buy a new indoor cage tomoro just incase the babies need to be removed from mum. Are they ok to come and love inside? I read such conflicting info on various websites :-/

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice