Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice on bathing a cat needed please

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by CAstbury, Apr 27, 2011.

1. CAstbury

CAstbury PetForums VIP

okay this may sound a stupid question but I am fostering a moggy that is en route to a rescue centre.

When he was brought to me he had peed in his carrier and now nearly 2 days later - he stinks.

What is the safest way to bath a cat?

I've never had to bath any cat before as they have always kept themselves clean.

I have brushed him and he seems fine but water is a different thing.

Is it safest to put him in the sink or do just sponge him off? Smell is horrible - he was only castrated 2 days before he came to me so I dont want to cause him a problem nor do I wish to stress the little man out any more than he has been already.

Thanks

2. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

as his new and may not trust you Id say get a teatowel and dampen it and gently mop him over.

you can get some dry shampoo and dab that over him, dont need to rinse it out, only abouy 5squid from pets at home?
    after a nice dampen down put that in will smell yummy :)

3. CAstbury

CAstbury PetForums VIP

Thank you very much :D

4. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

When I used to bath my persian years ago now, I always did it by putting a non slip rubber bath mat in the bath and wet him through with the hand held shower, not on a strong jet but a lesser one, shampooed him then rised it off same way.

However having said this he was as gold as gold at being bathed, with a cat
    whos still settling in? it might not be so easy. I did find mine was Ok with that though, I would leave the plug out too so the bath didnt fill up and he wasnt standing in water.

One thing I would say if the one you have is a long coated Job, you will have to make sure he is groomed through before hand though and while he is drying and after. Mine didnt mind the hairdryer so it was better to brush as I dried. But if they are long haired and left they will Matt up.

5. CAstbury

CAstbury PetForums VIP

Cat now sponged off with damp cloth and coat groomed to make sure no matting occurs (and he smells a bit sweeter as well) :D

He is a handsome chap :)

Attached Files:

• Leo.jpg
      Leo.jpg
      File size:
      61.2 KB
      Views:
  6. kelly-joy

kelly-joy PetForums VIP

Carolyn pop to your local pet shop and get some dry shampoo like someone else said, I use one called Johnson's Coat care for my fosters if they are a little smelly and I can't bath them for some reason. If you do bath him make sure you have help to hold him and wash him and wear protective gloves in case he lashes out.:)

7. CAstbury

CAstbury PetForums VIP

He is done now Kelly - it is Leo who Vicky brought to me on Monday - smells lots better and will put dry shampoo stuff on him tomorrow - too late to get to PAH when TB suggested it.

He looks very handsome now :D

8. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Aww he is a nice looking boy, looks nice natured too.

9. kelly-joy

kelly-joy PetForums VIP

pics please:D

10. CAstbury

CAstbury PetForums VIP

Post #5 has a pic of him (pinched off ALUK!) - I will take some more tomorrow.

He is friendly and nice natured - except with 1 of my dogs :(

11. kelly-joy

kelly-joy PetForums VIP

For those of you that don't know Leo was handed in as a stray to a vets in Oxford, we tried to find his owners but sadly we couldn't so we were asked to help find a rescue placement for him, sadly the only rescue placement we could find for him is in Wales so he was neutered and Vicky took him up to Staffordshire to Carolyn as we couldn't get transport to get him all the way to his rescue placement and Carolyn very kindly offered to foster him, so he is staying with Carolyn until we can get him all the way up to his rescue placement:)

12. sophie-paige

sophie-paige PetForums Junior

aww he realy is a handsome chap look forward to seeing more pics. Ide snap him up to a good home anyday if i lived closer xx

13. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

He is luscious! I would be a failed foster mum if he came into my house....

14. CAstbury

CAstbury PetForums VIP

Oh trust me - if he got on with all of my dogs instead of terrorising one of them - he could stay forever. Unfortunately he has gone for Francis twice and now Francis dog wont come anywhere near him and is spending his time sulking on the sofa at the other end of the room!

Having said that my own cat isnt too impressed at him - he is twice the size of Saffron.

But Leo is a handsome loving lad and someone is going to get a great cat (if they live in North Wales cos that is where he is en route to).

Leo says 'Thank you' to all of you for your kind comments :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice