Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Advice on adopting

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by JoPedder, May 12, 2019.

1. JoPedder

JoPedder PetForums Newbie

Hello,

We are very close to adopting a Jack Russell, Ted (2 yo). My son and I met him today and introduced him to our dog Bella (4 yo mini golden doodle) in a park.

I've always thought the best dogs I've met are JRs, but the worst dogs I've met are Jr's too! Ted seems a bit undisciplined, but calm (energetic, but not nervy), accepting of our dog and happy. The two dogs got on fine - mostly ignoring each other, polite sniffs, ran about about together a bit. The jack is ball oriented, but didn't mind when our Bella got the ball. We then took them into Ted's house and he wasn't possessive of his toys, water or food.

Ted seems to be a lovely dog and is apparently also good with cats (we have two) and lives happily with a five year old human.

The owners want surprisingly little (£100). But they say they don't really want to sell, but put a price on to discourage time wasters. They say they used to rent a house that they put a dog flap in, but they had to move and the new landlord doesn't want then to have pets.

So, my point of posting is, what am I missing? All seems too good to be true. We had a difficult time with our first dog that we unwittingly got from a puppy farm. She had a cough, diarrhea, fleas :(. Although the two owners said slightly different reasons for passing the dog on, I'm not saying these peeps are nefarious, but I'm probably too trusting!

What final checks or questions should I have before taking this dog on?

2. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

It's so hard with private rehomes to know if people are genuine or not. The 'I'm moving and can't take my dog' excuse is a fairly common one. Maybe this is the case and there is absolutely no way they can find a home that allows them to keep their dog whom they love dearly and are distraught at rehoming. Or maybe not. How do they know he's good with cats - do they have cats? Are they rehoming them too?

I would be interested in health history - I'd want to take the dog for a full vet check before agreeing to take him on and ideally the owners would give permission for you to get a full print out of his history.

Is there a reason you are rehoming privately rather than going through a rescue?

3. JoPedder

Thanks.

They spent a few months living at one of their parents 6 months ago, who had a cat. The cat had a litter while they were there.

I'm going private as I have a four foot fence, and we've failed a home check based on that with a charity that fosters Romanian dogs who want five foot. RSPCA say they need six foot. There are a few reasons why we don't want to do this (we will be replacing or modifying the other three fences).

We are also nervous about adopting from a kennel as it is difficult to judge a dogs home behaviour, and the centres all seem to be 'no children, no cats'. We feel we are more likely to know the dog's genuine history this way.

4. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

I think you are doing everything you can by having had a pre visit and spending time together. There may be hidden surprises of course but then that is true wherever you get/buy your older dog from.

Jacks are amazing little dogs I agree - they do have a tendency to be a little dog intolerant as adults (or rather, prefer their own space) so i presume you are happy Ted is ok with other dogs on a walk?

He does sound good though and the owners are being quite open to let you all meet him in their home.

Good luck anyway :)

J

lullabydream likes this.
  5. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

I have a JRT they do love a good walk and mine is also ball mad,my boy is also good with cats to be honest a Jack is a great breed and loves kids and people although is reactive to unknown dogs but you have already seen he is good with other dogs good luck and hope all goes well:)

JoPedder likes this.
  6. Jackie C

Jackie C Cat slave

I don't know much about dogs, or JR's, but he sounds like a lovely little dog. Good luck. x

JoPedder likes this.
  7. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Maybe park nearby with your windows down to see if the dog is a barker/howler when left maybe?

If your son is quite young I’d be very mindful of managing the dog and his interactions extremely closely so the dog’s body language is observed and respected.

Baby gates are helpful to give the dog some peace and quiet, especially when eating, or be separated.

The chart below is helpful (though I prefer the title Ladder of Anxiety.

I’d assume the worst tbh and hope for the best.

I took on a rescue and was fully prepared to deal with any issues: toileting, SA, training, etc. Mine can’t go off lead in the open for example but that’s not a problem for me.

However, the big one for me is aggression towards humans so that might have been a deal breaker in the long term if he couldn’t be turned around. My son was 15 at the time but my husband would have been reluctant to keep a dog with that issue.

FAED5CC5-C8FF-4122-998F-51F8FDDD31C1.jpeg

Lucas Green likes this.
  8. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

After mainly rescue having dogs in the past, my current 3 are private rehomes.

With all my rescue dogs; some from a national rescue centre and some from a local rescue centre where the dog warden drops off strays, so the local pound.I have mainly been shocked why people haven't looked for and reclaimed their dogs from the latter as these dogs have come to me with no problems what so ever. I did have 2 dogs who would happily escape given chance to chase a cat but that was easily solved with access supervised to the garden and on a lead, plus training for one helped immensely.

My 3 had to be rehomed for a variety of reasons from not coping, to bereavement and change in job circumstances.

The dog which the owner couldn't cope with was 8 months when she came to me. I was expecting a complete live wire but I got was actually a very calm dog. People's perceptions are always different of what can be coped with.

It's not something I usually advocate getting a private re-home, but there are several here who have and the dogs have been fine, or they acknowledge that possibly there will be behaviour problems to contend with.

Although ideally people should go via a rescue; and some rescues work to find new owners whilst the dog remains with them. Rescue places can be scarce and hard to find. Private rehoming isn't necessarily bad. Of course there are always going to be those who aren't upfront, selling a dog for money because it's a throwaway. I think many of us have seen ads online we think really?!?

So I would go with it, if that's what you are happy to do. Sounds a happy soul! You have already noted that needs training in some areas. This is pretty much the norm though as taking on an 'unknown' as we as dog owners/parents all need to establish boundaries anyway.

Good luck and there is always support here.

Torin. and niamh123 like this.
  9. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Yes noisy/destructive when left could be a problem if you have commitments (eg work) that mean you need to be out of the house regularly @JoPedder

I only thought of a rescue because the good ones often have behaviourist support available if you strike problems. At the end of the day I guess you just have to hope that the owners are telling the truth but be prepared that they may not be. If you have time, funds and patience then I’m sure Ted will be very happy with you as his new owners :)

Lurcherlad likes this.
  10. JoPedder

Thank you all for your words and support. This is a lovely forum! Wish I'd found you earlier when we first had Bella and was completely new to dog ownership.

@Lurcherlad our son is 11 and I think has an emotional intelligence ready for understanding a dog/human bond. But tbh this is just as much my dog, so if they aren't close it won't be a problem (in fact I'm regretting the pep talks about him behind responsible for training as I'm feeling jealous!)

Parking outside the house isn't really an option as it is 3 hour round trip (or more avoiding m6 toll). Fortunately @McKenzie my wife and I work from home most days. Although our office is upstairs (in Cat Land, a dog no go area!), I make plenty of trips down to make coffee, get fresh air in the garden etc, so they'll get interaction every couple of hours until the kids are home from school. I do work out of the house about once a week away overnight about once a month (wife and kids still at home though). If Ted is good in the car he'll be coming with me sometimes anyway.

Been to our vet today to ask if there is anything we need to do to transfer history to them and that seems easy enough. Also asked about castration and they said £130 plus cost of cone and pain relief - the vet has been taken over by a chain and I suspect prices are up. Am I right to think that is high?

Jamesgoeswalkies likes this.
  11. JoPedder

@Lurcherlad that chart is interesting. I've saved it to my phone for reference. What does it mean by lying down, leg up? I can't picture how that would work unless it was on its back, but that can't be right?

12. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Laying down but leaning slightly to one side with one paw held a few inches off the floor.

If leaning left, the right paw would be raised.

Trying to find a pic.....

JoPedder likes this.
  13. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

I think it means one or the other - not both simultaneously.

14. JoPedder

Probably not this M7nHzf5c5d5255e74c31.jpg

15. Silverpaw

Silverpaw PetForums Newbie

Ted sounds lovely and it sounds like you've done as much preparation as you possibly could.I love JRT's,proper busy little souls.I think people either 'get' terriers or they don't but I in my experience,the only thing that's small about them is their size!They are usually larger than life characters.One of our previous dogs was a Jackie.We had him at around twelve months old,he'd had four previous homes and been badly physically abused in one of them.We hadn't met him when I went to collect him.We didn't have another dog at the time and no children in the house,so felt we could deal with whatever issues he might have.Looking back on it,he was probably a bit of a handful,in a delightful terrier kind of way.He was always great fun,very loving and quite opinionated.My little soulmate.Sadly,we had to say goodbye to him just over seven years ago at the age of 15.We introduced another dog of around the same age shortly after he arrived.She came from the RSPCA,so we were able to introduce them etc.They because the best of pals and as over lively youngsters,they were brilliant for each other.We lost her nearly a year after losing the little one.My beautiful princess.They were both wonderful dogs,equally in need of a good home.I think it can be quite difficult to get a rescue place and it's good to hear that the current owners are charging a nominal amount to ensure a good home.Free to good home ads can place dogs at risk of falling into the wrong hands.Sorry to go on a bit but you've touched a bit of a nerve with me.If you go ahead and have Ted,I think you need to be prepared to welcome a whirlwind into you life,a bundle of joy and possibly one or two challenges along the way.Have fun,from my experience it's a journey well worth making.

lullabydream, niamh123 and JoPedder like this.
  16. Taz69

Taz69 PetForums Newbie

Sounds like you have covered your bases pretty well.

After getting my own dog 4 years ago through a private adoption through the Pets4Home website I have said many times it was the best £50 I have ever spent. One recommendation I would make is to try get an agreement that you could return the dog within a week or 2 weeks as this would then give you time to get the dog checked by your vets as well as see how the dog settled in your own home.

To anyone who would criticise me for not getting a dog through a rescue shelter I would suggest that it was the right decision for both me and Megan. I got a dog that most rescue centres would probably deem me too inexperienced to home (a 2 year old GSDxHusky) and Megan was saved from an unknown period in kennels or a home where she could be mistreated or abused.

#16 Taz69, May 14, 2019
    Last edited: May 14, 2019
    JoPedder likes this.
  17. JoPedder

Thanks @Taz69 . They've actually already offered to have him back and rehome him themselves if something doesn't work out, rather than him go to kennels.

18. Lucas Green

Lucas Green PetForums Newbie

Woah! It just made my day. Looks so innocent and peaceful. What's his name BTW?

19. JoPedder

Unfortunately that one isn't mine. This is Ted, who we are adopting soon. Bella is in my profile pic.

Attached Files:

lullabydream and Lucas Green like this.
  20. JoPedder

Looks like Ted isn't coming to us. :( Tried to arrange pick up for this weekend and the owners sent an odd text. They can't/ won't give vet history and are now worried about our cats. The text says she was brought up with a kitten but no cat, but when we met they had said that the kitten was born to their mum's cat while they were living there. I had previously ignored that the dog's male owner gave me a different reason for rehoming than the woman - he said it was because the dog had to be alone in the kitchen all day (last house had a dog flap) and she'd said that the new house landlord didn't want pets. I figured it was a combination of both.

The text does leave it open for us to have him, but it feels a bit fishy and alarm bells are ringing. I'll call tomorrow and see if I can get to the bottom of it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice