Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice on adopting a chipped stray cat please?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by AndyQPR, Apr 29, 2019.

1. AndyQPR

AndyQPR PetForums Newbie

Hi Guys,

First post, so apologies if a) it’s in the wrong place or b) I’m missing some etiquette somewhere – not intentional, I promise.

Have a slightly complicated issue that I’d like to float with you guys.

I have ‘acquired’ the most handsome lion of a cat. He’s been called Pete. Only has three legs, but that doesn’t seem to bother him.

He pitched up in our garden some nine months ago. That’s not unusual, our garden is a bit of a way station for cats in the area, we’ve legally/formally adopted an unchipped stray from our garden previously.

Pete had no collar, and didn’t appear to have a home to go to, and started living in the garden. Then, some six months ago, he had a cyst on his head, which burst, so we rushed Pete to the vet for a check-up. The vet advised that a) his missing leg was surgically removed, probably the result of an accident, and b) that he was neutered and chipped. The vet checked the database and advised that the owner was local to us (but couldn’t tell us any more, GDPR and all that…) they phoned the owner, but the number was disconnected. the Vet was unable (unwilling?) to do any more in terms of locating the owner.

Following this, we put up posters, gave Pete a collar with a tag inviting the owner to get in touch etc. and nobody has come forward. Spin forward six months, Pete now lives indoors with us (as well as going outdoors, he comes and goes as he pleases…), he’s basically to all intents and purposes, ‘our’ cat.

We think one of two things have happened – a) the owner has died or b) the owner has moved away and left him. As morbid as it sounds, we hope it’s the former, as we’d hate to think that an owner has abandoned him.

The question is, how do we (can we?) go about changing the details on the database to make him formally ‘ours’? Does anyone have any observations or experience on this?

Thanks in advance…

Attached Files:

lorilu, AshJack and Gallifreyangirl like this.
  2. bluecordelia

bluecordelia Footy

He is beautiful

I am sure some of Rescue ladies can advise how to move this forward.

Gallifreyangirl likes this.
  3. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hello @AndyQPR and welcome :)

I help to run a cat rescue and we have quite often had cases like this - a stray cat is chipped but the owner is untraceable from the details held by the Pet Log company.

You need to contact the Pet Log company the cat is registered with and explain the situation, and what you have done to trace the previous owner. The company may send you a form to complete or may ask you to write to them. You will need back-up in writing from the vet, i.e. that the vet tried to contact the owner without success (as the Pet Log company will not give you the registered owner's details, nor will they usually try and contact the registered owner themselves)

If the vet refuses to tell you which company the cat's details are logged with, then contact your nearest local cat rescue as they will have a chip reader. You can ask them to read the cat's chip, and this will give you the Pet Log company's contact details (but not the previous owner's details). You may need to take the cat over to the Rescue to get the chip read if the staff are too busy to come out to you. But e.g. Cats Protection are pretty good at coming out when they can.

p.s. he is a gorgeous looking cat, such a sweet expression and lovely colouring. x

#3 chillminx, Apr 29, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
    Citruspips, lorilu, AshJack and 8 others like this.
  4. Gallifreyangirl

Gallifreyangirl PetForums VIP

Nothing to add to the great advice given above. But thanks for giving Pete a home and looking after him. Let us know how you get on. You haven't missed an etiquette on here.

5. AndyQPR

AndyQPR PetForums Newbie

Thank you all for your responses, in particular chillminx for your detailed reply :)

i'll contact Cats Protection and see what they say...

6. Gallifreyangirl

Gallifreyangirl PetForums VIP

lorilu and Soozi like this.
  7. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Hoping for a happy outcome.

Soozi and chillminx like this.
  8. Tawny75

Tawny75 PetForums VIP

Lets hope Pete gets registered to home asap.

9. Jackie C

Jackie C Cat slave

When Betty came to us, we took her to the vet. They gave us the chip number, and I contacted the chip company (the vet gave us the chip company number). The chip company tried to contact the owners, who never got back in touch after the 28 days they give them. Then Betty was ours and we gave the chip company our details.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice