advice on a german shepherd

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by blackcrow66, Dec 7, 2017.

1. blackcrow66

blackcrow66 PetForums Newbie

hi i have 4 dogs 2 german shepherds aged 7 and 4 a lurcher aged 5 and a bedlington aged nearly 3
    i am struggling to take the younger gsd out with the others as if we come across another dog he looks really vicious barking and lunging all whilst his tail is wagging, when he goes to the kennels he runs around with all manner of other dogs no problem it just seems to be when he is on a lead ,i am not sure if he is being protective . i now walk all 4 early in morning when no one else is about and i travel 8 mile to hire a field to let them out in although that is partly because there are some people around here that let there dogs wander and i prefer mine not to get hurt!! has anyone got any suggestions at all , he has done the same when i walk him on his own too
    thanks in advance

2. Sproglet

Sproglet PetForums Senior

When did this start? It does sound like he's resource guarding the other dogs, especially as you say he's fine with other dogs when in kennels. Can you take him out by himself to work on him?
    ETA. A wagging tail does not necessarily mean he's happy.

3. blackcrow66

yes i can take him out on his own ,and he does the same thing,i am not sure if he picks up on my dread of meeting another dog, i try and relax but still the same .
    he is a lovely dog just not when he is on a lead,i have tried a halti to stop him pulling to see if that helped but he pulled his face along the ground and pawed himself till he made himself sore.
    i had atrainer come to the house but he acted perfect with him!! so maybe its me??

4. Sproglet

If he does it when you have him out on his own, it's not a guarding problem. Can you video your dog when he's out with you and let your trainer see it and work from there. I wouldn't be taking him out with your other dogs, as they're more likely to start copying this behaviour (I've had this happen).

5. blackcrow66

I now take them out when no one else is about as my little bedlington has started to copy his behaviour. I also hire a field to take them in on their own. He dies not particularly eat treats so that's out of the question for praising him!

6. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

Lead reactivity is common in GSD's......

You can't start to work on the problem if he's being walked with three other dogs, he needs 1-2-1 attention. You also need to figure out WHY he is behaving that way - is he fearful or is he just being a gobby douchebag GSD? because that will determine how you need to approach the problem....

If you aren't sure on his motivations behind the behaviour then it may be worth consulting a reputable behaviourist for their opinion.

Sproglet likes this.
  7. Sproglet

As I said, your others will start to copy, as you've found out. You need to work on him alone before you can start walking them all on the lead together again. Is your trainer a behaviourist too?