Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice on a fussy eater.

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Dai, Feb 25, 2019.

1. Dai

Dai PetForums Newbie

My cat is a 8 month old Ragdoll who is a fussy eater I've switched him from dry food to wet but it's getting difficult finding food he will stick to. At first he was on Royal Canning pouches then I tried him on Mac's, Smilla, Animonda Carny. All three he goes meh eats a little then leaves it and when he comes back he just turns his nose up at them. It's annoying. So far the only food he is eating is Wilko's fresh meat packs but, they are are complimentary foods. Is there anyway I could use felini complete to turn this complimentary food into a a whole food.

2. BarneyBobCat

BarneyBobCat Slave to an AcroCat

We are still trying to work out what to feed our 4month old. Trying to go predominantly wet with some dry food available throughout the day - some wet food likes, some he doesn't. We keep thinking we've found one he likes but the next time we give it to him he barely touches it. He seems to prefer it when I cook for him, but that could become expensive quickly!

3. Saffy Cat

Saffy Cat PetForums Member

What’s the ingredients and texture of the Wilko fresh meat packs?

I looked it up but all their own brand cat food range looked complete. There’s no ingredients listed but their cat food but it probably has sugar and fish derivatives in it which cats just love.

Macs, Smilla and Carny wouldn’t have sugar. So maybe not so appealing.

Maybe try him on some shredded food options? Sainsbury’s have a range called delicious. You can buy the single pouches to test if he likes this texture or a box of 6 costs £3.50. It is complete food (a lot of shredded isn’t) but shredded tends to be more expensive and there’s less variety out there.

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/gb/groceries/sainsburys-tdc-chicken-collection-6x85g?langId=44&gclid=Cj0KCQiAwc7jBRD8ARIsAKSUBHKZIAZVbbZ4xkPBffFU3YJHp94lpwlOjM2HqQsCoOXbyfSNnQKL648aArVVEALw_wcB&storeId=10151&krypto=ot14HX3bVVyNy0y69GCgG6anDk9FvWkXWDmbJuKF1z0xWy+Or6XlDwoCtdWtl3Z1w6eA3Go6YL6epjBLaa48xPjU1LFp3CTyCPbwZptp3SSNY7Rv2iT+BAwS8beN/6d4tejScUkhAecKydqaBbFyAXR0akjft2Va0Shpj9jqgngeYJ95oCQev4cO064BJHTsV/xzQ40SYWzKWBmwrevsg5QqB8H+yMbAlItPBnI5ILgPQvhyZekjqwqy4cz5Nkw3&ddkey=https:gb/groceries/sainsburys-tdc-chicken-collection-6x85g

4. Saffy Cat

Someone might be able to help you in regards to your other question about adding taurine to make it complete but you might be missing out on other vitamins and nutrients such as calcium which are also necessary.

Probably good to look at finding several different brands that you can rotate.

5. Dai

Dai PetForums Newbie

6. Dai

Dai PetForums Newbie

Wilko best is the range it's real meat in jelly not sure of the sugar content will have to look at the packs.

7. Saffy Cat

https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-b...5pGMQ3b_dOi_Pyo_gIMaAvmlEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Is it this?

It’s food close to its natural unprocessed form and it’s fish so that’s probably why it’s so liked. It wouldn’t be too good to feed fish long term (even if you add taurine to it) as fish could result in a thiamine defiency (and neurological problems).

I’d keep looking at different complete options. Maybe try different textures. There’s shredded, pate, chunks, raw.

Edit: wrong link, guessing it’s this...it wouldn’t be balanced, and hard to make right, fat levels might be too low and probably other things too, vitamins, calcium etc

https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-b...7dd1c129UhI5tda0S8kaAkVWEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

#7 Saffy Cat, Feb 25, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
  8. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Dai, the makers of 'Felini Complete' say it can be added to home cooked meat or to raw meat, but is not suitable for adding to complementary foods. I enquired a couple of years ago for someone on the forum and that is what Zooplus told me (which they got from the makers of Felini).

It is unusual to find a kitten that is as faddy as your kitten sounds. As they are growing fast they usually have huge appetites. Are you weighing him every month on digital scales to make sure he is gaining weight, or at least maintaining his weight? I would worry if he is not eating much that he will lose weight.

Does he seem to be in good health? e.g. normal output in the litter tray - nice firm, formed poos passed once or twice a day and nice big pees several times a day?

Feeding any dry food will spoil his appetite for wet food, and make him picky, but you say you have stopped giving him any dry food? Have you disposed of all the dry food so there is none in the house? If not he will smell it and hold out for it.

I suggest you look for a wet food that he likes i.e. trial and error. Cat foods sold in UK pet stores are often stronger smelling than the German cat foods and appeal more to some cats. I am thinking of foods such as Country Hunter, Natures Menu, Lily's Kitchen, Meowing Heads, Wellness Core Tender Cuts, HiLife Chicken Dinner, Wainwrights tins of Hypoallergenic. All these are popular with my cats. All available from Pets at Home (some from Fetch). If you buy a few of each and keep the receipt the store will take back any unopened pouches or tins the cat doesn't like and give you a refund.

You can still give him Wilko Best (chicken) without a supplement as long as it doesn't make up more than 20% of his diet. You could even add a food such as Felix AGAIL into his rotation if it will get him eating with enjoyment. I am not advocating feeding him just AGAIL, but the odd packet won't hurt. I believe it is important for our cats to really enjoy their food, especially indoor cats as they have no opportunity to go out and find anything they like better (e..g, a nice mouse!)

If you still find he is uninterested in his food then I suggest adding a pinch of Fortiflora to the top of his meals. It is a probiotic but contains Animal Digest flavouring (as sprayed over dry food). Don't be tempted to give too much, it can cause a loose stool.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Purina-For...id=1551095986&sr=8-3&keywords=fortiflora+cats

It may seem expensive but you use very little (a pinch) for each meal and a pack should last you ages.

Gallifreyangirl and Saffy Cat like this.
  9. Dai

Dai PetForums Newbie

Felix AGAIL tried it and whiskas no go there either just licked the jelly. Weight seems OK he was neutered last month vet thinks he's OK. will have to persevere and find a food that is complete that he will eat the link to Sainsbury's food looks similar to the Wilko's will try him on some of that. His output is normal the Salisbury surprise (Novichok joke) is firmer but good.

10. Saffy Cat

If it turns out that texture is important and he prefers shredded then there are a few (not many) options that are complete. It seems that cats like shredded a lot which is why I suggested it. It’s not the cheapest option. But his appetite could also be based very much on smell/aroma as chillminx mentioned.

My cat was quite fussy although she loved Sheba and Waitrose own brand and that’s what I fed her when I first got her until I figured out what high meat content options appealed after much shopping around. Unfortunately cats are very individual, note what appeals to them and find a similar option.

Shredded complete (that I know of)
    Thrive cat food (Amazon subscribe and save, zooplus, online)
    Blink cat food (Morrison’s or Tesco)
    Delicious cat food (Sainsbury’s own range)
    Canagan (Pets Corner, online) - this one is expensive

sandy-cat and chillminx like this.
  11. sandy-cat

sandy-cat PetForums Senior

Hi @chillminx , did you get new information from the makers since my post a few months ago? upload_2019-2-26_22-55-22.png

12. sandy-cat

PS I agree that the Purina Fortiflora is very attractive to cats.

I have a very fussy cat and he currently loves Pure freeze-dried food. In fact he prefers it as a topper at the moment....

13. sandy-cat

PPS if you search "shredded food thread" there are lots of suggestions there - think thread started by @SuboJvR

SuboJvR and Saffy Cat like this.
  14. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Oops, @sandy-cat, what I posted a few months ago is in fact the latest correct information. (Sorry I am not very with it this week, I have a chest infection!) What I said recently about Felini not being suitable for use with complementary food is wrong! :oops::Shamefullyembarrased It used to be what we were told by ZP but that advice has been superseded by the later advice. Thank you for noticing my silly mistake so I can correct it. :)

sandy-cat likes this.
  15. BarneyBobCat

My kitten has suddenly stopped eating his wet food and will only eat dry. Doesn't matter what wet we try, he just likes Purina Kitten at the moment - could he be teething?

16. sandy-cat

Ah thanks for confirming :) No worries, just wanted to make sure I had the right info :D And I hope you feel better soon!

chillminx likes this.
  17. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

How old is he? Most kittens have all their adult teeth by about 8 months of age. They start getting them between the age of around 3 months and 6 months old.

18. Dai

Dai PetForums Newbie

TBH I thought it was strange that you could not add Felini Complete to supplementary food. It's good to know that I can. if I can't find a suitable food it will worth getting.

chillminx likes this.
  19. BarneyBobCat

15 weeks so around the right age, I probably should have included his age in my post. He's been a bit better today, we mixed his Purina Kitten dry with some wet and he ate it for breakfast and lunch. He hasn't eaten so much tonight though, but seems in good spirits, running wild round the house. I made a beef stew tonight so I gave him a small chunk of raw beef which he absolutely loved at first but then left a bit. After today Im not so worried about him, we bought some pate style food and soup style food too just to see if that's any better tomorrow. I think we have more cat than human food in the house at the moment, I keep having to throw stuff out to make room :Cat

20. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@BarneyBobCat - best only to mix wet with dry if the kitty is going to eat it straight away and none of the food is going to sit around uneaten for a few hours. Dry food (kibble) contains bacteria and fungus which are harmless when the food is kept dry but become active and multiply when the food is mixed with wet food or water.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice