Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

advice on 11 week old puppy please

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by staffy_missy, Apr 25, 2011.

1. staffy_missy

staffy_missy PetForums Member

I have an 11 week old staffy x labrador, i also have two 1 year old cats. The pup keeps eating the cats food, both biscuits and meat even tho i feed the pup 3 times aday. Any advice on how to stop the pup eating the biscuits as i leave a bowl out all the time so they can eat when they are hungry. Any advice is very much appreciated :001_smile:

2. rona

rona Guest

Put the cats dish up on somewhere that the pup can't reach

3. Rottiefan

Rottiefan PetForums VIP

Either hand feed your pup through training (my preferred option) throughout the day OR have your pup eating at regular times. This will help build structure and help with housetraining etc. And keep the cat food away!

4. staffy_missy

staffy_missy PetForums Member

thank you for both answers

5. NicoleW

NicoleW PetForums VIP

If you try the 'leave it' and teach him that, what I used to do was sit in the room and have the cat food on the floor. say "leave" and once he turns his head away I'd treat him.

He's 10 months old now and I can just about leave him unsupervised with cat food on the floor, but if I'm going out I normally put the cat food upstairs. :)

6. leashedForLife

i prefer to put the cat-food where the dog or pup cannot possibly reach it.
    :) especially as cat-foods often contain things dogs are sensitive too -
    corn AKA maize AKA cornflour, ground yellow-corn, or any other name;
    wheat in any form [starch to thicken 'gravy' in canned foods, wheat gluten, bran, etc];
    SOY in any form whatever - soy-protein, soy-extract, texturized soy...

dogs can have major reactions to such common allergens, so what cats can eat is not what any dog can eat.
    1 in 5 dogs in the USA, purebred, crossbred or random, have one or more food allergies.

Part II: feed the cat meals - not an all-day buffet.
    if U have to leave the cat for an extended period, GIVE THE CAT & THEIR BOWL A ROOM.
    put the litter box there, too - 8 to 10-ft from food & water; don't just close the door, LOCK it.
    If there's no lock, a $1.50 hook & eye just above the doorknob cannot be fiddled by the dog,
    & as it's on the outside, the cat, who CAN open it, cannot reach it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice