Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Dogsrule, Aug 16, 2009.

1. Dogsrule

Dogsrule PetForums Newbie

Hi

We had 2 Labradors one 8 years and the second 6 yrs old.
    We suddenly lost our eldest Labrador to cancer in March, it was totally out of the blue and we were devastated.
    Our younger dog has missed her and since she has always had a companion we thought about getting another Labrador puppy in September.
    Is there anybody that has gone through the same as us and could offer us some advice?

Thanks

2. rona

rona Guest

I'm sure there are people to help, but it would be better to put this in the dog section.
    I will try and get a Mod to move it for you or you can repost :)
    Welcome to the forum

3. Inca's Mum

Inca's Mum PetForums VIP

Well, I would be careful about getting a puppy to be a companion to your older dog as although it could learn lots from your older dog, puppies will want to rule the roost and your older dog may disagree. If you did get a puppy, then I would be careful as yes they do need lots of attention so your 6 year old may end up feeling a little rejected but then again, it could be a good idea! I am sure there are some better experienced member's that can give you more information.
    What about looking at labrador rescues in your local area for an older labrador?

4. Dogsrule

Rona

Thanks I will re post under the dog forum..

5. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

My 12 year old collie x was brilliant when we got Sky at 8 weeks. The older dog generally takes charge and shows the pup the ropes so to speak. I never gave one or the other more attention, they always have and always will be equal ;)

OP go for it if that is what you want and if you are ready. As Jess said try your rescues and consider and older lab who will also be in need of a loving home, good luck :D x

6. Dogsrule

Jess

Thanks for the advice, we have thought about going to a rescue center and getting a dog from there, but were worried about how they would get on. We thought if we got a puppy we could introduce her to our dog and give them equal attention.

7. Inca's Mum

Inca's Mum PetForums VIP

Well as I say, you will find a lot of members on here which have better advice to offer you than I do and I hope that whatever choice you choose, you give a lovely dog a loving home :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice