Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice Needed!

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by Cat_Crazy, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Cat_Crazy

Cat_Crazy PetForums VIP

Hi everyone!!

I'm new to this forum as I really need some advice.

I have a Birman breeding queen that I bought a couple of months ago to have my first 'taste' of breeding these beautiful cats!

Anyway she is GCCF registered active and was all set to visit the stud cat at the end of the month when I suddenly had to go away for a few days due to illness in the family.

Anyway I asked my sister to care for my cat whilst I was away (this was nearly a month ago) and I have started to notice that she is putting on weight and has pink nipples!

I took her into the vet to check for pregnancy and the vet estimates she is approx 4 weeks pregnant (could of strangled my sister at hearing that news!)

Anyway there is not a lot that can be done now but I am worried this will affect her in terms of future breedings, does it somehow 'blacken' her name as the kittens will be moggies.

Also what about FIV, my sister admitted to me later that my cat got out and was not found for a hour so I can only guess the father is some random street cat, what are the chances that she could have picked something up and how soon can I tell?

Will I even be able to re-home the kittens?

I have not got a clue what they are going to look like and I believe a lot of breeders are struggling to sell kittens in my area at the moment so no idea how I will manage with cross breeds, even if I can find people interested in them what sort of price should I be asking?

I know they are only moggies but I want to make sure they go to good homes and generally kittens given free to good home are too often not properly cared for.

Sorry for the long ramble and so many questions my head is just full of what if's now!​

2. sjreilly72

sjreilly72 PetForums Member

I am no expert in breeding, but if you want to give them to good homes I would start the price between £50 - £70 as she is a pedigree cat. For some people that is a considered purchase and will have to think about it.

Somebody with a bit more knowledge about this will prob be able to help you out a bit better on this one.

I hope you are speaking to your sister again lol

Can't wait to see pics of her.

3. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Hi there, firstly it will not tarnish your name or spoil your cat, it wasn't your fault and these things happen. Secondly even though they are 1/2 Birman they are still effectively moggies so a moggy price is really the best. Check out Pets4homes ads for your area and judge it from there.You don't want to underprice everyone else otherwise you might get 'indesirables' going for your kittens. How long are you going to keep them for? Jabs or no jabs? This make a difference on the price.

Looks wise they are very unlikely to be pointed. What colour is she? What's her prefix by the way? JUst interested.

4. Cat_Crazy

Cat_Crazy PetForums VIP

Yes I am speaking to my sister, after all she meant no harm!

In terms of the kittens I understand that they are effectively moggies no matter who mother is as the father could be anyone.

I will be keeping the kittens until 14 weeks old so that the can have both vacciantions before going to new homes and also be micro-chipped.

I only wish that they would agree to early neutering in my area but no such luck :(

I was not planning on selling them for a lot I just want to make sure that the adopter isn't looking for a cheap kitten to do what ever they please with so will possibly just re-cover the cost of vaccinations and vet checks.

How do you add pictures?
    I will get some of my beautiful cats on!

Now i'm just playing the guessing game of what the kittens will look like.
    I certainly hope they have the long fur and blue eyes but as both are recessive it's proberly VERY unlikely!

5. gerisdolly

gerisdolly PetForums Newbie

they are birman crosses and you should get £100 for them if they look like a birman...as far as studding for your girl most breeders ask for a snap test before they go to stud.. to make sure your girl has nothing that will affect the stud and she must be up to date with her jags which im sure she will be and must be on an active reg ..

6. Cat_Crazy

Cat_Crazy PetForums VIP

Yes I am aware of that she is on the active register and fully vaccinated I just hope that she hasn't picked anything up from this tom cat!

7. Angeli

Angeli PetForums Senior

If your pedigree cat was acquired with the intention of breeding from then it might be an idea to start thinking about how you are going to prevent this mistake from being repeated as she could start calling again shortly after having this expected litter.

It isn't easy to have an entire queen living in the house - they will try and escape every time they come on call and it only takes a moment of being preoccupied elsewhere for them to succeed. It would be better to contain her in a separate room where it is less likely for her to escape, somewhere where doors and windows are not required to be left open - or a secure outside pen would be more suitable when it is warm. This would only need to be done while she is calling - she can live with you in the house when she isn't.

One mistake is not going to tarnish your reputation, it can happen to anybody. Word only gets round other breeders when the same mistake seems to be a regular thing.

8. Cat_Crazy

Cat_Crazy PetForums VIP

Thank you for your advice.

All my windows are cat proofed and I have two doors at both the back and front of the house so always make sure that one door is closed before the other opens if you know what I mean?

I have had active females previously and have been VERY carefull regarding them staying indoors sadly she escaped when my sister was caring for her and her 2 year old son left both doors open.

A mistake that will not be repeated as I generally always use a cattery if I go away but with it being such short notice and my sister kindly offering it seemed to good to refuse.

I was actually toying with the idea of an outdoor cat run as I know Nala (my cat) would love some outdoor time, either that or to fit a cat proof fence in my rear garden but from what I understand they can stop the cat getting out but will not stop other cats getting in.

If anyone has any experiance with either and can make any recomendations I would love to hear!

Rebecca

9. babybelle

babybelle Guest

It wasnt your fault but I would give your sister a slap on her hand!

Make sure she is health tested after just Incase, Im sure that fully vac'd birman Cross moggies would be about £150? But then You dont know who the dad is so they might all be black and white short hair!

did your sister see any cats hanging about who could be the dad? I wonder what they will look like??

10. Cat_Crazy

Cat_Crazy PetForums VIP

I am also very curious as to what the kittens will look like but I will let you all know once they are born!

My sister did not see any cats but I know that a lady down the road from me has a couple of un-neutered Tom's as I often hear them fighting at night.

She has a ginger and white, a grey and white and a pure white.

I don't really know which one I would 'prefer' in a sense I am just hoping that they have not passed on some nasty infection to my princess :(

I fully intend on getting her straight into the vets and FIV / FELV tested once I can so fingers crossed for me!

Also I have pretty much decided that I am going to ask 100 pounds for the kittens simply to cover the cost of vaccinations and neutering.
    I am not interested in the money just want to make the best out of a bad situation and find them life long homes!

11. lizward

lizward PetForums VIP

It's not your fault and I doubt if any stud owner would condemn you for it - if they do, just look elsewhere! My first ever litter were accidents (Burmese Mum was intended to go to stud but made her own arrangements). There is no reason why your cat should have caught anything nasty - there is not one single known case of FIV being caught through sexual contact. FeLV is more likely but still very unlikely especially if your girl has been vaccinated against it. It's disappointing when you wanted pedigrees, but I can guarantee you will love the kittens anyway.

liz

12. Angeli

Angeli PetForums Senior

I can sympathise with your situation as it's obviously upsetting you. If it's going to give you peace of mind then perhaps you should have your girl tested for FIV/FELV - to be honest though the chances of her having caught anything are pretty low.

Im very impressed with your rehoming plans for her babies as regards, vaccinating and neutering - I wish everyone was as responsible as you.

13. Cat_Crazy

Cat_Crazy PetForums VIP

Thank you Angeli

I am a strong beliver in neutering especially these kittens as I would not want anyone breeding from them and I am lucky enough to have a fantastic vet that will neuter at 12 weeks old.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice