Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Rjackson, Jul 4, 2009.

1. Rjackson

Rjackson PetForums Newbie

Evening All!

I have been considering getting a second dog for a while now but need some advice. I currently have an energetic male springer and don't know whether it would be best to go for same sex or different?

Secondly if i were to get a puppy would I have to keep them separated until the puppy had had its second lot of jabs?

I have been looking for the answers to these questions on the internet but cant seem to find them anywhere!

Thanks in advance

2. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

Would you be getting you Male castrated if some i would say get a girl! just my opionin
    though!
    Is your male upto date with all injections? if so there is no need to keep them apart!
    hope that helps

3. Rjackson

Rjackson PetForums Newbie

he has already been castrated and yes he is all up to date with his vaccinations

thanks for your reply, i was thinking a girl would be the way to go!

4. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

I would choose a girl!.Other people might come along and say to go with a boy :eek:
    There is no need to keep them apart then if you male is up to date with injections! :)

5. SpringerHusky

SpringerHusky PetForums VIP

I'd say go for a girl all the way, i have a male springer also and had a male toy poodle, it just did not work but I then got a girl and things have been fantastic since, he's much happier :D

6. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

I would say get a girl they tend to get on better and as your dog is up to date with his shots you won't need to keep them seperated. I would recommend especially with an energetic dog get one similar size and energy level

7. bird

bird PetForums VIP

Def get a girl, thats what I've been advised too by my vets

8. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

Good advice from all on here: I would go for a girl as well, if you dont plan on breeding get him casterated, some think it will calm the male down??? good luck. Springer spaniels are lively mind you as they are working dogs.

9. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

P.S.....if your springer is already up to date on injections then there will be no need to separate them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice