Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice Needed!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Transgenic, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Transgenic

Transgenic PetForums Newbie

Hey everyone i need some tips and advice. Im currently a student at university but i am planning to get 2 dogs when i move out. After researching the different breeds along with their temperaments/needs ive decided that i would like to get a german shepherd (dog) and a alaskan malamute (bitch).

I have been looking at pups and how much they cost and there is some conflicting information and i would appreciate someone clarifying some things for me. I'm not planning to enter the dogs into any form of competition or dog shows but i would like to have heathy animals with good characteristics. Can this only be achieved by getting a pure bread pedigree dog?

Although i dont wish to enter them into shows or anything like that, i would like to train them for my own personal enjoyment and theirs to keep them entertained and healthy. For the GSD i would like to train as a protection dog and possibly enrol it in dog training classes that are available in my area. I would like to train the malamute also but is this breed limited to what it can learn/willing to learn when compared to the GSD.

Any information would be helpful thank you :)

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Have you ever owned a dog before, and how much time will you have to dedicate to their care?

Also, with a dog and a bitch, you will have to get one or the other, or both, neutered.

3. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Hiya, I'm glad you've decided on a GSD, they are a wonderful breed :)

I echo Nonnie's sentiments. Have you ever owned the breeds before? They both need a lot of work and a lot of exercise, so it's not a good idea to have them if you're going to be out at work all day as they are very headstrong and will become destructive if bored (this is true in all breeds though)

Please do get them spayed if you don't intend to show, though I do know that most people tend to wait until after the first season to neuter a bitch.

And please do not make my mistake (though I was very lucky). Do not buy over the internet without seeing the parents. I am lucky that Sky is very good health wise. Always go to a reputable breeder.

And make sure you get insurance!

4. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

i wouldnt recommend getting 2 puppies (if thats what youre meaning)at the same time its very hard work its much better to concentrate all your time & attention on one dog at a time. GSD's are a more subservient breed than the Mal so will be easier to train.
    Good breeders will screen breeding stock for relevant genetic illnesses for the breeds, so always buy from a reputable breeder to save yourself a lot of potential expense & heartache, you should contact the breed clubs for information.

5. Patterdale_lover

Patterdale_lover PetForums VIP

Very good info from above posters and really take in what they said
    If you have never owned a dog before, don't take this decision lightly. It is very hard work, and i would get only one dog if i were you as Mal's and GSD's tend to need fairly experienced owners.

6. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

Both of these breeds really need an experienced handler especially with the gsds were you really need to get a working line therefore needing to give them a job. I wouldn't recommend training a protection dog yourself way too many legal ramifications. I don't know much about mals but most spitz breeds don't tend to be very responsive gsds are ridiculously trainable but they need a good owner.

7. ellie_w

ellie_w PetForums Member

Malamutes really arent suitable for an inexperienced owner

The breeder we got ours from won't let her dogs go to anyone who doesn't have a lot of experience with dogs

8. Transgenic

Thank you to all of you for the advice it has been very helpful! After reading all the comment i think it would be best that i only get one puppy to start with, GSD. From what you have said they are a great bread and they are very good to train. I have never owned a dog before so it would be over ambitious and irresponsible for me to attempt training 2 dogs at the same time.

Although people have stressed that GSD's do best with an experienced dog owner i still want to go with this breed. I dont work at the moment and i am only in university for 3 hours a day so there is no problem with me taking care of the dog and giving it a lot of attention. Also after university i plan to work from home.

Is there any other questions or advice?

9. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

It is best for an experienced owner to have a GSD :) I had them as a child but was never involved in their upbringing so I am essentially a new owner too. The best advice I can give you is to learn everything about your breed before you decide to get a pup :)

They are wonderful dogs, I wouldn't change my GSD for anything :D

10. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

Speaking with my 'rescue' head on, you are the sort of owner alot of rescues would love to meet. You are at home alot and obviously keen to work with your dog and give it an interesting life, and just by posting here for information it shows you are thinking before rushing out and buying the first dog you come across.

Would you consider rescueing a slightly older dog maybe a cross breed or even pedigree, who would be assessed already by the rescue (make sure you pick a good rescue!!) and can be suited to your level of experience? This way it gives a needy dog a good home and you get experience of owning a dog without risking taking on a breed that might prove to be a handful, then in the future you can move onto the more 'demanding' breed (not saying GSD's are demanding but they are high energy and intelligence breed so require a good level of training).

Just thought I'd throw that idea to you!!;)

11. Transgenic

I may adopt a dog at some point but i would adopt pup so that i could train it myself from the start so i can practice having a such a young dog. However after that i think i would like to rescue an adult dog after i have had a pup for 1 or 2 years. Thank you for the suggestion :)

12. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

JSR, I think you are a star. I started reading through the dog breeding section, but I get so annoyed, I have to come off it!

Apparantley Battersea dogs home are having to put down loads of dogs, stafi's in particular, because they are over run.

To the OP - take on a rescue! WE do not need more dogs brought into the world!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice