Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice needed!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Mags4eva, Jun 28, 2009.

1. Mags4eva

Mags4eva PetForums Junior

My parents have put me on a mission to find the best breed for our house. We originally all loved the Miniature Schnauzers until nearly every website we looked on said they have a tendacy to bark which isn't so good as we have young neighbours that wouldn't appreciate being kept up. If we got a dog it would be home alone for up 2 8 hours for probs 3 days a week but we have found a dog walker so that would be spilt in to 2 4 hour periods. I basically love every breed of dog but my sis, dad and mum are all VERY picky on dog breeds. They won't have a lap dog like a king charles or a shitzhu. My dad and sis say it has to be top end of small or low end of medium size. Needs to be good with children and preferably short haired as my sister is allergic to dogs but is now a lot better than she used to be. It would probaly need to be quite an unenergetic dog even though we would take it on long walks but my sister had a bad expeirence with a lurcher that was VERY active and got excited very easily. I know i'm being very picky but any advice on any dogs would be much appreciated. Even just expeiriences you've had would be a big help! Xx

2. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

How about a whippet?
    Great friendly dogs.

3. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

poodles!!!

They're not so noisy!

4. Fleur

This is a great tool to help narrow down your search.
    Find a breed

And this sight has great breed profiles loaded for most breeds.
    Dog breed UK

5. dexter

dexter PetForums VIP

what about a basenji

6. Mags4eva

Just did test thing and got quite a few results but showed all family and no one apart from me was keen on any of them typical! Any one know anything bout Patterdale Terriers?

7. CheekoAndCo

CheekoAndCo PetForums VIP

Yep I'd say poodles aswell :D

8. Mags4eva

Thanks for suggestions Basenji's look very sweet but does say they arn't very obidient which is what we would need! Please can i have some more advice especially on Patterdale Terriers or Spaniels?

9. Fleur

There are a few owners on the forum.
    I don't have any personal knowledge, but from what I've heard as they are mainly bred as working dogs they can be pretty fiesty and have a lot of energy so would need consistent training and lots of mental stimulation.

Well done by the way for taking the time to research breeds - too many people buy a dog because of how it looks rather than if they can meet all it's needs.

10. Mags4eva

Right so maybe not a Paterdale Terrier. I know i just so want to get it right. It would be to heart breaking to have to give away a dog after just having it for a short amount of time if it was aggresive or to noisy. Looking in to poodle hybrids just because my dad hates poodles as he thinks of them as a womans dog. Might look in to a Schnoodle but then i suppose there's the problem of the puppy inheriten the Schnauzer's barking.

11. RugosaB

RugosaB PetForums Newbie

Having a basenji is like having a 2 yr old child, forever. They need constant supervision and unique ways of teaching them anything, usually figuring out a way to convince them what you want to do, is what they wanted to do anyways. They do best with people who are not really into 'power' and are willing to let the little things go.
    I would not recommend this breed in this situation. You know, just because they don't bark, doesn't mean they're mute.

12. poochimama

poochimama PetForums Senior

poodles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

;)

13. Shaza

Shaza PetForums Junior

What about a lhasa apso - I've got 2 and they barely make any noise and are hypoallergenic so would you good for allergy sufferers (we chose this breed coz my youngest son is asthmatic and allergic to most animals), also they are a non-moulting breed. They might look similar to a shih tzu but are larger so not really a lap dog although a good companion dog.

14. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

I have a Patterdale Terrier, he is a great little dog! He's very very energetic and he's 'fiesty' in a brave, confident way - he wouldn't ever bite or be aggressive to anyone. Fiesty doesn't mean aggressive.

He does need a lot of time to play and exercise, but it doesn't really mean they need walking for hours on end. An hour or two of really energetic off-lead playing in an open space would probably be good enough, as well as a good bit of playtime in the house or garden while at home, which is no more than most other dogs really.

The only thing is, is that they aren't good with small furries (rabbits, guinea pigs, hamsters, rats, mice, birds...anything small!) because they're terriers and often do have working blood in them because that's exactly what they were bred for, but that is true of most terriers. Obviously it would also depend on the individual dog's personality, but I wouldn't risk mixing a bunny and a terrier :D

What about a Bichon Frise? They're often hypo-allergenic and aren't too small :)
    or there's the poodle crosses, but you'll have to be careful where you get one of those from - they're often bred by puppy farmers and irresponsible breeders, and you really don't want to be lining their pockets :nonod: so you'd have to do loads and loads of research before you choose a breeder for one of those. Although the same does go for any breed, it's just that the poodle crosses are seen as fashion statements by a lot of people, so the bad breeders are really cashing in on it! There's also no guarantee that the dog's coat will be hypo-allergenic, it's just a lucky dip with that one.

Westies are generally good all-rounders :) my auntie has two and they do make lovely family dogs and are probably about the right size for what you want :)

Staffordshire Bull Terriers are excellent family pets too, despite what the media say about them, they really are wonderful dogs :D

#14 Tigerneko, Jun 29, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2009
  15. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

See? He he...i'm not the only one that's a fan

16. kenla210

kenla210 PetForums Senior

Cocker Spaniels are great, we have a working type which are generally much more energetic and need more in the way of exercise and mental stimulation, but it really depends how much time you can put to walking. But great with kids, great temperament and easy to train (well in my experience anyway)
    The Cocker Spaniel Club,Parent Club of the Breed in the UK

I may get flamed for saying this (lots of people here seem to have something against "designer" dogs) but cockerpoos may (no guarantee) shed less, and are lovely little dogs. They can be pricey tho as they are a so called "designer dog" and you need to be very careful that you don't get them from a puppy farm, as they are currently very trendy and people are trying to cash in :( :(

Also lots of staffies in rescue which if trained properly are fantastic dogs, and don't deserve their bad reputation

17. Mags4eva

See thats another problem actually buying the dog! My dad understands that dogs can cost a lot depending on what breed you want and he's said who will pay for it as long as we all argee that it is the best breed for our lifestyle. Then theres my mum. She has said that she will not pay over 550 for a dog which basically means any "designer" dogs mite not appeal to my mum.Personally i think and know that staffys are great but my parents are still in the stereo typical type of thinking and arn't keen on getting a dog that could possibly harm me or my sister which i know wouldn't happen unless seriously provoked which neither me nor my sister would do. Any more advice would be welcomed! Especially on Border Terriers or any other Terrier type or in fact any other dog lol oh and thanx 4 all your help so far really gratefull! Xx

18. Cuddypuppy

Cuddypuppy PetForums Member

A pug or poodle (or poodle cross). :)

19. nerd of prey

nerd of prey PetForums Junior

Cocker spaniels are lovely, but if you get the 'show' type rather than the 'working' type, the hair can grow long and regular grooming and trips to the groomers to get trimmed are necessary. The show type my parents own is the loveliest sweetest dog in the world, however he does suffer from separation anxiety (He howls and wimpers when left) and from speaking to other cocker owners this is quite common in the breed.

Border terriers are also great, my friend has one but they relish regular excercise, I would say at least 2 30 min walks per day and longer walks at the weekend.

20. Mags4eva

I have a friend which has a Show Cocker Spaniel and he sheds quite a lot. do working cocker spaniels shed less? On a schoolday i could take a dog for a 20min walk in the morning, 45 mins after school(maybe more depending on whether i have homework or not!) and then another 30 min walk in the evening. And my dad really wants a dog so he can take it for long walks up the road to get away from work for a bit. So walking defo ain't a prob in our house!

#20 Mags4eva, Jun 29, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2009
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice