Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice needed

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by hellyb, Jun 25, 2009.

1. hellyb

hellyb PetForums Newbie

Hi i have got a 7 month old westie who can be quite naughty. Im thinking would getting another dog as a playmate would cure his naughtyness as this could be down to boredom?

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I doubt it. You would more than likely just end up with two badly behaved dogs, instead of one.

What sort of training do you do with your westie? Whats he doing that is so naughty?

3. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I know from experience, and watching other people do it, that adding a 2nd dog when the first is naughty or not trained, it makes things worse!
    The 2nd dog ends up copying the first dog, which inturn makes the first dog worse, resulting in two naughty dogs who can be unmanageable!

I know of one guy who got a staffi because it was free, his staff x was 1yr and completely untrained. The staffi was well behaved until a few days after getting it, and he ended up gettin rid of it because it was peeing in his house (through his own laziness of net getting out of bed to let the dog out) the dog ended up getting pts because it fell into the wrong hands and bit someone :(
    Not saying that would be you but you get my point. Try working with your westie and when you feel he is better, then it would be time to think about another dog.

x

4. aurora

aurora PetForums Senior

No I don't think getting another dog is your answer, training the one you have is. enroll him in some puppy training classes and persevere with him, things will get better, he is only a puppy and starting his teenage years. And after all he is a terrier.:)

By getting another dog, you would only create more problems as the new pup would copy your older one, and then you have double the trouble. :eek:hmy: also getting another pup when there is very little difference in ages is another problem. The older dog should ideally be around 2 years old when you introduce a new addition as by then the older dog is trained and it will also dicipline the pup if needed.

good luck keep us informed how you get on.

5. poochimama

poochimama PetForums Senior

I agree i kept a pup and bought a new one in id not do it again they drove me doolally im sure one was tellin other to ignore me lol

6. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

lol probably a big NO! I dont know the breed though but I would have thought they are quite assurred dogs.
    Having one bored and rampant dog will only make a second one learn bad habbits, you should probably look at training and the food your giving them. Both will help dramatically :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice