Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice needed

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by sarahfb, Nov 27, 2012.

1. sarahfb

sarahfb PetForums Newbie

Hi I'm after some advice. My dog today has been yelping when she stretches and in the last couple of hours when she gets up from being laid down. She's a lab x has been spayed and is roughly 8. Someone please help. Were not sure ifvtho phone the vets. She seems ok in herself

2. CaliDog

CaliDog Greedy Mummy Bear!

i would always ring the vet if ever your in doubt they can advise you either way over the phone. Sounds like she is very uncomfortable and in pain even lying down :(

3. sarahfb

sarahfb PetForums Newbie

She seems ok when she's lying down its just getting up and down and if she jumps up she yelps too. I wish they could talk

4. Reverie

Reverie PetForums VIP

I would speak to a vet, it definitely sounds like she is experiencing pain.

5. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Could be shes pulled or strained something, at 8 too she could be starting to have a few arthritic changes to the joints and getting a bit stiff. If there are arthritic changes is can make them more susceptible to injurys from knocks and trauma. If shes yelping then it sounds like there is some pain and discomfort there. They can be fine but the first sign is often once they have laid for awhile and stiffened up and its the raising and lowering themselves that causes a problem. Also they often stretch a lot and do things like arching their backs when in pain an discomfort.

Also check her stomach, is it hard and bloated and tight like a drum, did she do any exercise or running about a short while after eating, if her stomach is as described and particularly if she did, they can sometimes get something called bloat, which can lead to gastric tortion which is an emergency. If her stomachs fine though, it could be her joints spine or neck area and some injury.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice