Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice needed

Discussion in 'Chinchillas' started by wheeleremily28, Nov 14, 2012.

1. wheeleremily28

wheeleremily28 PetForums Newbie

I am currently watching my friends chinchilla for thanks giving. Is there any way I can gain her trust? To make her be more cuddly and interact more?
    She is about 6 years old, and absolutely adorable.

Please let me know!!

2. Lil Miss

Lil Miss PetForums VIP

chinchillas are not cuddly animals as a rule, attention has to be on their terms, if you try and catch her and force her to accept a cuddle you could seriously hurt her, chins are very delicate creatures with floating ribs.
    being a lone chin shes probably missing her owner, chins are very social creatures and its never fair to keep one on their own, i would suggest you talk to your friend about getting the poor chinny a friend of her own, she will be much happier

3. wheeleremily28

wheeleremily28 PetForums Newbie

Thank you!

4. DollyGirl08

DollyGirl08 PetForums VIP

I agree not to force interaction if she is not wanting it.
    But a way to try and gain her trust is by giving her 1 small raisin a day, offer it to her and she might come and take it out your hand.
    Only 1 small raisin though, as chins can't have much in the way of treats.

5. TKK

TKK PetForums Junior

I adopted two older chins and when they came to me they never been handled much and were not very interacting, when I buy new toys and interactive I open the front of there cage and eventually they were curious about what I had got them, willow balls in any pet store, cuttle fish one grab out of my hand and both enjoyed that alot, seal one end of a toilet role and put some hay in with a treat, it might just entice the chin, 1 year on, one likea a little cuddle from time to time the other one will come up to front of cage bu still won't let me hold him but likes a chin strached!:yesnod:
    Time and patience

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice