UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We already have a ESS she is almost 18 months now. Brilliant dog, mad as a hatter but so affectionate and very well behaved, very toy orintated, but only at walking, she does seem to love her toys more than other dogs!! The question I have is.... We have got the oppourtunity to have another ESS who is male and 6 years old, he is neutured etc, although Roxy isnt at the moment but is scheduled in Feb next year. Is this the right thing to do will Roxy mind another dog comong to live with us? Is a male better than a female, is the age going to be a problem? So many questions but I just want to do whats best for both dogs. My husband thinks it may be a bad idea as Roxy still a baby and we should get a puppy, so Roxy is the eldest. I dont know how it works and want some advice if possible from any of you who maybe have ESS. Thank you for any advice!!! :confused:

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
We already have a ESS she is almost 18 months now. Brilliant dog, mad as a hatter but so affectionate and very well behaved, very toy orintated, but only at walking, she does seem to love her toys more than other dogs!! The question I have is.... We have got the oppourtunity to have another ESS who is male and 6 years old, he is neutured etc, although Roxy isnt at the moment but is scheduled in Feb next year. Is this the right thing to do will Roxy mind another dog comong to live with us? Is a male better than a female, is the age going to be a problem? So many questions but I just want to do whats best for both dogs. My husband thinks it may be a bad idea as Roxy still a baby and we should get a puppy, so Roxy is the eldest. I dont know how it works and want some advice if possible from any of you who maybe have ESS. Thank you for any advice!!! :confused:
In my experience the easiest pairing with the likelyhood of less problems is usually a male/female they tend to take more cheek and liberties from each other usually, where as two same sexes especially if they are going to compete and neither will give in can be a serious problem. So in that respect it should be OK. Certain breeds especially can become same sex agressive, but as far aas I know spaniels dont seem to be from what I can make out from people who own them in number.

Getting an older one and a younger one can also be easier then having two young ones as well. As two young nutters can be a lot harder to train sometimes and get them to focus and bond with you as they can become just interested in playing with each other, so him being 6 and her 18mths isnt necessary a bad thing at all. Especially if he is a laid back confident dog with no behavioural issues and steady. I know someone with an older Cocker and they got a puppy sprocker (springer/cocker cross) both girls as it happens and thats worked well although the sprocker although better now was a nutter when a pup and younger.

Best thing to do is take them for a walk on neutral trriory first and let them interact there, if you can do it a couple of times before you bring him home even better, that will give you a basis to see how they are going to be.
Main thing is that they are complimenting personalities and that they like each other after all.

Only thing on the practical/financial side if you take him on, is that if you are going to insure him, your premiums will likely be a bit higher then a pup and come usually around 8 years some seem to make you pay a percentage of the vet bills as well as the excess when they reach a certain age.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so very much for all that wonderful advice. Im going to take that onboard and go over it with my oh. We are taking Roxy to see him tomorow afternoon. Ive found out today that this person selling him for £50 has only had him just over a year so I am a bit anxious, but would so love to give him a wonderful home and life with us. But as my oh says Roxy must come first obviously. His jabs are not up to date but thats easily solved, and he needs lots of love of which we have bucket loads!! Am I doing the right thing?? Im so concerned that being for sale for just £50 any idiot could have him and abuse him, we hear such shocking things going on. What Im looking for is for someone to say it will be ok but of course im a bit concerned all round. Any thoughts??:eek:

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
Thank you so very much for all that wonderful advice. Im going to take that onboard and go over it with my oh. We are taking Roxy to see him tomorow afternoon. Ive found out today that this person selling him for £50 has only had him just over a year so I am a bit anxious, but would so love to give him a wonderful home and life with us. But as my oh says Roxy must come first obviously. His jabs are not up to date but thats easily solved, and he needs lots of love of which we have bucket loads!! Am I doing the right thing?? Im so concerned that being for sale for just £50 any idiot could have him and abuse him, we hear such shocking things going on. What Im looking for is for someone to say it will be ok but of course im a bit concerned all round. Any thoughts??:eek:
Put it this way its probably got more going for it to work then isnt especially if he has no behaviour problems and is a sound dog. Sometimes though people dont always tell the truth, but the best way is to follow your own instincts and use your own judgement. You have enough experience and if there is anything your worried about of unsure you can always get help on here. If when you meet him you do have doubts then as hard as it may be its probably best to walk away. Ive taken on rescue dogs over the years and there have been some more I would have loved to give a home too but sometimes its not you who makes the final decision its the dogs themselves and as much as you may want them if they are not compatible then unfortunately you cant.

Good luck with tomorrow, but if there is anything your specifically worried about just sing out in the meantime.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the advice...... Just thinking even if he wasnt going to work in our family, and i hope he will, do you think i should take him anyway and then get in touch with English springer spaniel welfare as i know they would take him? The home hes in is not good, so would that be an option to help him have a better life poor little man. Im so concerned if we dont have him regardless that someone may have him possibly given away free and you can guess what he could be used for!! . Wallking away may not be an option!!

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
Thank you for the advice...... Just thinking even if he wasnt going to work in our family, and i hope he will, do you think i should take him anyway and then get in touch with English springer spaniel welfare as i know they would take him? The home hes in is not good, so would that be an option to help him have a better life poor little man. Im so concerned if we dont have him regardless that someone may have him possibly given away free and you can guess what he could be used for!! . Wallking away may not be an option!!
Most of the rescues are pretty full, I suppose you could ask them first and explain the situation Home - English Springer Spaniel Welfare is the contact details.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.