Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice needed

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by MightyMoo, Apr 6, 2011.

1. MightyMoo

MightyMoo PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone,

Recently visited the dogs home and while there had a chat to staff who helped pick out a dog for us. We were told at the time there had been an recent incident between this dog and another, but were assured it was nothings more than "handbags" and he just needed to be slowly socialized which we were fine with. Home check went without a problem and have walked him on several occasions the last step was to meet with the behavoirist and bring the dog home.

Buts here's where the problems start. 4 days before we adopt we get a call saying that because he is a staffie x they are unsure whether he falls under the dda for being a pit bull type, apologies were made because this wasn't done sooner to which I pointed out he has been there for over year. Gave the home a call today and was informed that he's never been temperament tested so that's being done aswell.

So my questions are does anyone know how test works for pitbull type? And does anyone know the process a dog goes through from being given to the home to adoption?

Thanks

2. new westie owner

new westie owner PetForums VIP

Sorry dont know about the tests didnt want to read and run :) as if poor staffies dont get bad enough press my last little staffy was most laid back little dog ever great with kids :)

3. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

4. Johnderondon

Johnderondon PetForums VIP

Sled Dog is correct in that the rescue will need to bring in a breed ID expert to assess the dog.

However...

my emphasis

Its really all about the shape of the dog. It's temperament hardly figures in the assessment.

5. Sled dog hotel

Thats what it said on a Direct Gov website about banned breeds and the process. That was a direct quote.

6. Johnderondon

Not surprised. They have to put a spin on it. Wouldn't read as well to say the expert "will judge the type of dog you have and whether it looks a bit wrong."

7. Sled dog hotel

Your probably right a bit of PR on their account, to make it look like there is an element of deed not breed in the assessment.

8. MightyMoo

Thanks for the replies

The expert being brought in is the behavoirist that works at the home, although when I spoke to him seemed to know very little about what would be happening.

With certain legal breeds that could be classed as type, am I right in thinking there is a standard that is used when making a decision.

I didn't want to name the home because I didn't want my experience stopping people from adopting from there.

9. Sled dog hotel

I should imagine if the behaviorist is a qualified accredited behaviourist he will temperament test him, This usually as I mentioned includes, reaction to dogs, cats, people and kids and maybe other animals. Things like guarding food and resources etc. Maybe he is qualified to as an expert on identifying banned breeds. If there is any doubt though as to him being a possible pit or pit cross you do need some sort of certification for yours and his sake. From what I can make out, A dog that is questionable as a pit if out in a public place, can be seized by a dog warden or the police pending assessment. Under the current law if I have understood it correctly they can hold the dog in kennels, until assessed and take it further if its identified as pit. By taking it to court. The main criteria for identification seems to be Physical characteristics.

10. Johnderondon

The standard used by UK courts is the 1988 American Dog Breeders Association breed standard for American Pit Bull Terriers. The standard has been changed several times since 1988 but the '88 one is still the one used by UK courts today.

You can learn more here:

DDA 1991 | Detail and practice.

11. MightyMoo

Thanks for clarifying things Sled Dog and John. I find out the outcome tomorrow so fingers crossed it all goes well.

Sled Dog are you in South London? The dogs in your picture look very similar to ones that I've seen where I used to live.

12. Sled dog hotel

No Im in East London, Hope it goes well tomorrow and you can bring him home. Let us know how you are getting on.

13. Dog Walker

Dog Walker PetForums Newbie

I volunteer at an animal shelter in Michigan, where we have an overpopulation of pitbull mixes. Consequently, we have many at the shelter. All dogs undergo a behavior and health check before being deemed adoptable. The behavior exam includes a series of tests, including mimicking child-like behaviors such as pinching, pushing, etc.; a test to see how the dog reacts to noises and sudden movement; a hard stare in the eyes; and a test for food agression (fake hand pulling food bowl away). Some parts of the test are designed to see if a home with small children would be inappropriate (for instance, the pinch and noise tests) and others such as food aggression are designed to identify potential biting behaviors.

Kudos for adopting. I hope it proceeds with no more surprises.

14. MightyMoo

Got the all clear this morning and had Dexter home by the afternoon, feels like a huge weight has been lifted.

1st thing that came out of my neighbours mouth was "is he a pitbull" suppose that's a question ill get used to answering.

15. Sled dog hotel

Glad it worked out ok in the end and you have now got him home safe.

16. Johnderondon

None of us believe you.

We need piccies. We need piccies now!

17. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

Definately agree, piccies (tons of them) are essential :001_smile:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice