Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice Needed Urgently

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by molio67, Feb 14, 2008.

1. molio67

molio67 PetForums Newbie

Hi there, im new here but im in desperate need of help. Ive had my cat (Elvis) for 4 years now, i have recentley bought a new house and the guy along the street has complained about the cat sitting on his brand new BMW jeep which cost him £38'000. He told me to keep the cat of his car as its going to end up scratching it and if i cant stop it then im gonna have to pay to get the scratches fixed. He sits on all the cars but its only this guy who is moaning ( i can see his point though ). Any advice would be much appreciated as i dont want to fall out with neighbours so soon after moving here. Is there any spray i can get to spray around his house/car to keep Elvis away from them.

2. carol

carol PetForums VIP

hi and firstly welcome
    dont think theres much you can do about it, the cat will only scratch the car if it gets his claws out on it which is very unlikely
    although they say cats dont like pepper if its true or not i dont know.

there are meny more people on who know more about cats sure they will help.

3. molio67

molio67 PetForums Newbie

Thanks for your help m8

4. may

may PetForums VIP

I would say Elvis has left the building:D
    What dose he expect you to do :confused:he should get a life:mad:
    it had to be a MAN!!!!!!:mad:

5. LousKoonz

LousKoonz PetForums VIP

I don't mean to rock the boat here (i really don't) but if his car cost 38k then i don't blame him for worrying and saying something - however lord knows why he doesn't have that garaged!!! x
    I have a car that i've spent over 30k on and that's garaged x however i will say that i am a car fanatic, aswell as with cats - but if it came to it i'd have to shoo the cat off the car and it really isn't a good place for them to sit anyway xx
    i think there is some stuff that he can put on floor around his car to make it a less appealing place for the cat to go to x however i can't remember off the top of my head what it is x
    (hi May by the way :))

6. Siamese Kelly

Siamese Kelly PetForums VIP

The cat will only get his claws out and scratch his car if the cat is unduly scared or surprised-you really should politely advise this guy that with such an expensive car maybe it should be in a garage:cool::) Or if you really are concerned then watch your cat for when he sits on the car and give him a gentle squirt with water(tell the guy 1st, so he knows it's only water) or don't say anything and if you "accidentally" get the guy..Well added bonus for Elvis:D Sounds like Elvis has good taste:)

7. Witchy

Witchy PetForums Newbie

Flatter him - tell him your cat has good taste in cars :D

Do as others have said, the Elvis will only scratch the car if he's frightened off somehow. Tell him you'll take him to the vet to get his claws trimmed.

Nothing else you can do really - cats will do and go where they want, nothing that you or a grumpy neighbour will change that fact.

Don't say anything, sit tight and see if he says anything again. If he does, resort to the above :)

8. lizd4688

lizd4688 PetForums Member

my cat sleeps on top of cars.
    thats what cat do.
    i understand that the car costs alot of money.but cats will do what every they want.
    if its not our cat its going to be someone else.
    i think he need to get a life...or maybe some kids then he would know what mess is....lol

9. ............Unless you might keep your cat indoors....What kind of car-owner is it - do you think he would be able to harm your cat?

10. LousKoonz

LousKoonz PetForums VIP

not all cats sleep on top of cars and i don't think the guy should be penalised for liking his car x
    it's not his cat but it's his car, some people must be able to at least see it from his point of view x
    this morning a cat walked over my cleaned civic type r - i've got a guy coming to look at it tomorrow and now my other half has to clean it again x i'm not impressed at all!! however i have cats myself and love them - but that doesn't mean i want cats anywhere near my nice cars x

11. englishrose943

englishrose943 PetForums VIP

Dont think theres anything u can do as Elvis is only going to the area what is warm obviously. All cats do it if ur neighbour still complains give me his number and ill sort him out for u. lol x

12. may

may PetForums VIP

If the car is that important maybe he should get a cover for it !!
    The type people use in the winter to keep the frost off the windows
    Just a thought;)
    I can see it from both points, but I do wonder what he will do when birds S*** on his car!

13. minnie

minnie PetForums VIP

why he will regret telling the cat to get lost LOL:rolleyes:

14. Tweedle Dee

Tweedle Dee PetForums Member

I guess he would need to get himself a cat deterant, i know if it was my Tres- expensive car i would be willing to buy sonmething to keep cats of my car. Wouldnt necessarily expect the cat owner to do anything as cats just do as they please!

Cat Deflector SSSCat: Great Deals Cat Nets & Cat Flaps at zooplus

SONIC CAT/DOG/FOX DETERRENT / SCARER CATWATCH REPELLER on eBay, also Other Pest Control, Weed Pest Control, Garden Plants, Home Garden (end time 17-Feb-08 23:00:00 GMT)

Scarecrow Cat | Scarecrow Water | Scarecrow Sprinkler

If its any consilation my cat Toby has eaten 4 Koi carp out of my neighbors pond, i offered to replace them...luckily she said 'no its ok' as they were £120 a pop :eek:

Ang x

15. LousKoonz

LousKoonz PetForums VIP

i glad someone does :) x

that ssscat contraption i've just bought and am awaiting stock so i can buy a couple more - if they work i'll let people know x

16. Siamese Kelly

I can see it from both points, but I do wonder what he will do when birds S*** on his car!
    Good point May as my oh has an expensive car and though no cats (that we were aware of anyway) weren't the problem the birdsh..t was as where they'd splattered it actually removed the paintwork so a carcover if for this reason alone would ease his nerves a bit:)Also the cat doesn't know any better but as humans in some cases we do and can act accordingly-well ya never know:cool::)

17. staceyscats1

staceyscats1 PetForums Senior

hi and welcome (am new too :) )
    i dont think you will be able to stop your cat from sitting on his car and i would be very suprised if he marks the car anyhow! however to just to let you know "by law you are not liable for acts of trespass by your cat, nor for any damage that it causes as a result of its normal feline inclinations, or if it is provoked." so as you cant stop your cat from being on his car he cannot however make you pay for any damages so i would not panic too much !

18. LousKoonz

LousKoonz PetForums VIP

having a car cover will only make the cats dig their claws in more as if it moves they'll try and steady themselves!
    yeah a cover would help with birds (or a gun lol!) but i don't think it'll really be much help with cats - hence me trying this ssscat thing - if it works then at least we'll know of something that'll help situations like this x

19. may

may PetForums VIP

I have yet to see a cat CLAW metal :confused:
    so a cover would only help with the birds:)

20. Siamese Kelly

Second that:DLeather or similar materials deter most cats(ours at least) from wanting to scratch, i would have thought this being the car owners main concern, that it would ease his head a bit,still if no other suggestions work i'm sure anyone of us would quite happily find some willing asbo car thieves to remove the car, problem solved.Now we must have a picture of Elvis since were in his corner so to speak!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice