Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice needed to start career with animals

Discussion in 'Animal Jobs & Working with Animals' started by Luke Klimkowicz-Freeman, Jan 18, 2019.

1. Luke Klimkowicz-Freeman

Luke Klimkowicz-Freeman PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone, I've decided that it's now or never and I would really like to take up my dream of working with animals, in some capacity.

I'm 28, so a bit of a late starter, and starting from scratch. Over the years I've found it hard to get answers/direction from people, especially in school and college, about how I would go about getting started in this kind of work.

I've owned pets all my life (cats, birds, fish, guinea pigs) and find nature fascinating, all aspects of it. I haven't any experience in working with animals or any qualifications I.e. College/school, but I am currently doing a free online course on animal behaviour to get a feel for things :)

My childhood dream was always to become a zoo keeper, but any chance to work with animals/nature would be fantastic

Does anyone have any tips on how to get started, where to begin, any websites/companies I could speak to or just general advice on the matter?
    Many thanks

2. IvyInspired

IvyInspired PetForums Newbie

Hi all - I would also like some insight into this, if anyone has any, because i'm in a similar situation myself. Aged 30, always loved animals, wildlife and nature, owned an array of pets all my life, but never actually done anything that would constitute as experience working with animals, nor do i have any qualifications around this field. Is it too late to realistically attain the requirements needed for most animal related jobs, as well as fend off all the other applicants who HAVE been fortunate enough to have a wealth of prior experience? :s
    I have always dreamed of a career involving animals but i'm wondering if i've missed the boat. Would be interesting to see if there is anyone out there who started on a career involving animals later in life, and how it worked out.
    Thanks

3. Hannahmercedes

Hannahmercedes PetForums Newbie

My best advice is to get as much experience and qualifications as you possibly can. Can you volunteer at your local rescue centre? The Cinnamon Trust is a fantastic charity to volunteer for (I’ve been volunteering for the last 3 years), they’re a charity for elderly and disabled people with pets who cannot take their dog out for a walk etc. You can just volunteer as a dog walker, or they do fostering as well if you wanted to do that if the owner goes into hospital for example. You don’t have to commit to lots of dogs you can just do half hour a week. It makes a huge difference to the dog and their owner. All this is great, hand on experience and will work in your favour! Good luck.

4. Amanda Young

Amanda Young PetForums Newbie

My best advice would be self-study. Google can help you a lot to make the way out this time. There are plenty of tips and tutorials on "How to become a pet care professional". Besides this, some organizations do offer some courses based on pet care.

5. Zimera Veneziani

Zimera Veneziani PetForums Newbie

Hi, where abouts are you? How is this going for you? I'd love a chat!

6. Luke Klimkowicz-Freeman

Luke Klimkowicz-Freeman PetForums Newbie

Hi, I'm in Southampton UK. I did an free online course on animal behaviour which unfortunately for circumstances I couldn't complete but was interesting way of learning new information. Are you looking to get into a specific role or career?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice