Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice needed re Puppy

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Dogsrule, Aug 16, 2009.

1. Dogsrule

Dogsrule PetForums Newbie

Hi

We had 2 Labradors one 8 years and the second 6 yrs old.
    We suddenly lost our eldest Labrador to cancer in March, it was totally out of the blue and we were devastated.
    Our younger dog has missed her and since she has always had a companion we thought about getting another Labrador puppy in September.
    Is there anybody that has gone through the same as us and could offer us some advice?

Thanks

2. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

Hello i'm sorry for the loss of your lab :( I know what you're going through.

We lost our Cocker Spaniel 2 days after Xmas last year. His kidneys were failing and we had no choice but to have him pts.

After that horrible day my other dog, Dante (a Norwegian Elkhound) went through a depressive state since he lost his best friend. He was a total different dog and we didn't like it one bit.

So 2 months later after having enough of seeing our bright little boy like that, we brought home Mika, our toy poodle. And since then he's been fine.

I think getting a new friend for your dog will be a good idea. It might help him. But only do so if you are yourself ready to bring a new pup home (i mean emotionally and if it feels right). and don't let anyone tell you your new pup is a replacement to your old dog. Because he isn't. I've been so angry at people assuming Mika is a replacement to Woody.

Let us know what you decide and if you do get a new pup there's only one rule you have to follow here - PICTURES :)

3. Spaniel mad

Spaniel mad PetForums VIP

We lost our 11 year old Springer 4 years ago. we had Kaydee who was 1 and she was lonely. So a few months later we brought a labby puppy and they are best of friends. We have since brought 4 more dogs and they all get along fine

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice