Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice needed re kitten breed

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by vanillatea, Aug 31, 2013.

1. vanillatea

vanillatea PetForums Junior

Hi, I'm new and would love some advice!

I have always had rescue cats, and they've always been adults.
    We are thinking of getting a kitten, none of us have ever had a cat from a kitten before and we're really excited at the prospect. We've been researching the different breeds and are looking really for an easy going, affectionate/lap cat who actually loves being with us rather than the 'emotionally damaged' rescue cats we've had in the past! (we have one cat now, she was mistreated before coming to us and finds other adult cats a threat so hence we are trying the kitten route)

Please can you advise on Ragdolls, British SHs, Maine Coons and the difference in temperament? Also, do any tend to develop specific health problems?

I really appreciate any help! :)

2. JordanRose

JordanRose Master of the Whingey Cat.

I think all three are lovely breeds for what you're looking for :)

I've heard BSHs are not generally lap cats, but are laid back and affectionate on their own terms. Big soppy lumps!

Maine Coons are very affectionate and sociable but with lots of energy as well as this- the reds are particularly renowned for their cheeky ways ;)

Ragdolls are lovely and laid back, tend to be sociable and affectionate, playful their whole lives but not too intense.

Not sure about BSH but I know Raggies and MCs are prone to HCM- you'd need to ensure breeders had carried out health testing to try and rule this out of their programmes. Best place to find good breeders is through the Cat Club websites:

Home Page

Breeders

Untitled Document

I'd recommend contacting local breeders of all three and going to visit them and their adult cats. That way, you can gauge temperaments and see what the 'end product' will be like :) Or, you can visit a local cat show and talk to people there. You can find a list of shows on the GCCF website, but it's not working for me at the moment!

Hope those links are helpful.

Good luck!! I'm going through the same thing at the moment- I have a very sensitive cat who I would like to get a companion for. Not risking another rescue cat, so going down the pedigree route, too. I think I'll be going down the Raggie route- or possibly Persian :)

3. catcoonz

catcoonz PetForums VIP

Well i can comment on mainecoons as i breed them.
    Adorable, lapcats, friendly, laidback, a dream to have. males get bigger than females and the males are clowns.
    You need to ensure parents are HCM tested so kittens do not have heart problems. Mc's are the big gentle giants of the world.

Others will tell you about Ragdolls and British Shorthairs.:)

4. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Ragdolls are laid back loving and floppy - big problems with HCM (degenerative heart disease) a while back make sure breeders does DNA test and heart scans. Poss also PKD (Kidney disease)

BSH - laid back, loving, four feet on the ground kind of cat, sits next to not on you, can be a little aloof. PKD - easily tested for in parents and poss HCM

Main Coon - big cat, big personality and can be high energy - HCM, PKD, hip and knee displacia and spinal atrophy can be problems.

The very best you can do is to go to a reputable breeder and not a back yard one. Kittens should be registered and not leave home until after their vacs at 12 weeks (so leave at 13 weeks). Parents should be health tested (DNA tests) - it's easy to rule out PKD by only breeding from negative parents, HCM is slightly more complicated and can completely be ruled out even in cats DNA tested and heart scanned as there is more than one gene that causes it.

Of course you have forgotten to consider the lovely Selkirk Rex!

#4 spid, Aug 31, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
  5. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

Was just going to say the same about the Persian! Not that I'm biased or anything! And, JR, shouldn't you have said "I'm probably going down the Persian route, possibly Ragdoll"/ I know, I know, easy to get the names mixed up! ;)

6. JordanRose

JordanRose Master of the Whingey Cat.

Of course! Hehe!

I'm willing to wait for the right kitten, whichever breed they may be. Just need the mind-changer fairy to come and cast a little spell on my Mum. And then I need the 'Spooks companion fairy' to zap me a kitten!

7. vanillatea

Oh golly, how on earth do I decide?!!!

I also forgot to ask about the Birman? What do you guys know about that breed? Thanks again to ALL of you :thumbup1:

8. catcoonz

catcoonz PetForums VIP

Ive only ever had one experience with an adult Birman and she was vocal, not to say they all are as i dont know anything about them.

You are better off going to a cat show which has all breeds attending, then decide which you think would fit in with your family. :)

9. vanillatea

Thanks so much.

What about kittens that are a mix of breeds? Are they a big no no?

10. MCWillow

MCWillow PetForums VIP

You might want to look at RagaMuffins too :yesnod:

My two (Cedar & Blossom) are absolutely bombproof - nothing phases them. They are very friendly and always looking for a lap to sit on, once they have found a lap they will groom the lap owner for as long as they are allowed. I'm sure they have dog genes in them somewhere too. If there is a knock at the door they race each other to see who can get there first - and Cedar likes to play 'fetch' :D

But then that could be down to the breeder and upbringing they got before I got them :D

11. spid

spid PetForums VIP

I used to breed Birmans - again a problem with HCM. Vocal, divas with a personality of a drama queen, but loving too. FOr me, one is enough.

Mixed breed - you don't know what you are getting, not a no no if you understand that. There is no guarantee that dad was a softy and so kitten may inherit a few undesirable traits but it might not. If you go for a mixed breed don't get taken in by 1/2 Bengal (often meaning mum was a tabby - and tabby is a coat pattern not a breed) or 1/2 this or that 75% are lying or exaggerating the truth. DOn't accept a kitten with blue eyes if a solid colour (pointed cats (like the Birman) should have blue eyes) but others if they have blue eyes are about 6 week old and far to young to be away from mum. Put it this way one of my kittens didn't even start eating solids until 7 weeks. Try to get kittens at around 9 -10 weeks old no earlier.

If you go for a ped they will be older.

12. MCWillow

MCWillow PetForums VIP

The problem with mixed breeds is, you dont know what they will be like, just like a moggie, as a mixed breed is a moggie anyway.

Rowan and Holly are Norwegian Forest Cat x Ragdoll.

I would say Rowan has slightly more Ragdoll traits than Holly, but neither of them show any great breed traits from either breed.

Rowan is 'one person' cat - and that person is me. If I go in the garden he is at the door looking for me the whole time. He is friendly with strangers, and will go for fusses, is nosey, and can be very funny.

Holly (his sister from the same litter), is very much a cat cat, not a people cat. She will come to me and D, usually me, if she is hungry, and will wake me up if she wants breakfast! She doesnt like strangers at all, and hides if anyone comes in. She may come out after a few hours but is very wary.

Their personalities are like chalk and cheese and yet they have never been apart or treated any differently.

13. Staysee

Staysee PetForums VIP

If your thinking of a mixed breed, then you might aswell just go get a rescue kitten, cos they may say 'Its a BSH and Mainecoon mix' but infact its just a semi long haired moggie...the only way you could be sure down that route is seeing both parents and knowing mummy cat hasnt been allowed out or even escaped.

So either go full pedigree or go rescue again.

We have rescue cats, no rescue cats we've had have been that bad....lap cats i think it doesnt matter what breed they are...we have a ragdoll which we call the 'hips and thighs' cat, cos he loves sleeping on the sofa beside your hips and thighs. But we have moggies who love a fuss on our laps....and a kitten who likes to sleep on our chests/necks/my head and he turned up at our door in january!

If you want garunteed* personality then go full pedigree route

*Full pedigree doesnt always mean garunteed personality though, but its pretty much garunteed

14. Cookieandme

Cookieandme PetForums VIP

I would like to go to bed but I am pinned to the sofa by big lump Cookie asleep in my legs :)

Earlier April was sat on me for about 40 mins, that's twice today and she hasn't done that since the day I viewed her :)

15. Cosmills

Cosmills PetForums VIP

Well I have to say all of my BSH love a lap ... Apart from my Rubes she likes to be around your neck .... Lovely in winter

My seal point is the first for a cuddles , following my big girl who is a purr engine

BSH can be shy around people they don't know and will take their time

Boys i find more loveable , my boy is the worlds best snuggle monster ... He will not leave ppl alone until he get baby cuddles and is more than happy to stay in your arm all day

16. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

I don't know where you're located, but there's a big double show coming up in Bracknell on 21 September, then a show with a different registry first weekend of October in west mids, then another at the end of October in Oxfordshire. Are any of those close? I'll be at all three with cat or cats, and am more than happy to let you have a cuddle and talk you through good and bad points if that would be helpful.

17. ljs85

ljs85 PetForums VIP

I own 2 Maine Coons and 1 RagaMuffin :D

Maine Coons get big! My boy is around the 9kg mark and he's still got a bit of growing to do :crazy: Both my Maine Coons are lovable and want to be in the same room as you - this includes when you are on the toilet :D Mine aren't lap cats as such but sit next to you cats or leg cats when you are lying down.

My RagaMuffin is mental! Wants to be wherever I am at all times, and loves sitting on top of me to give me a lick. He's a definite lap cat/neck cat/leg cat/ whatever he can lie on cat.

Personally I'd go for both of them - not that I'm biased or anything.

18. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

I breed ragdolls and british shorthairs, both rock, lol :biggrin5: :001_wub:

19. vanillatea

That's so kind of you, and if I lived closer I would take you up on it...but I live in South Wales so they're all a bit far!

You've all been so helpful, thank you to every single one of you who have taken the time to reply. It's helped a lot, we are leaning towards a ragdoll, although am not sure how I'd manage to keep him or her indoors. How do others manage who have another cat who goes outside? Do they make a dart for freedom?! If so, may go for bsh. X

20. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Why not a rescue cat or kitten? Rescues are full to overflowing. BTW if you get a slh cat you have to keep on top of the grooming.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice