Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice needed - poorly trained large dog off lead in park

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by punkyvix, Jul 4, 2009.

1. punkyvix

punkyvix PetForums Newbie

Hi,

I'm new to the site, but I have a problem maybe you can help with?

We have a Cairn Terrier puppy who is just coming up to 20 weeks old, and she loves walking in our local park. However, today we were walking, and there was a large bull mastiff in the park under the control of a girl of about 7. The dog came up to her shoulders!

This dog was off lead, and came bounding over to us. The girl was calling, but he paid her no attention. His body language was alert, but friendly as he sniffed around our pup. However, we were very concerned, as her puppyish excitement can get on other dogs' nerves after a while. So we picked her up out of the way. The little girl was not bothered, and walked over to us very slowly, taking perhaps 3-4 minutes to reach us. When she got to us, she didn't even appologise, she just led him off by the collar, saying something about how annoying her dog was.

Another dog walker in the park mentioned that he had known this dog along time, and that it is not well trained. The little girl apparently often walks it. Even if he was on a lead, I doubt she could stop him going where he wants.

Is there anything I can do about this? I am not just concerned for my dog, but lots of children play in the park as well. Are there any ways to make the owners take more responsibilty for such a large dog? I know he may be harmless, but it does not seem right that he can essentially roam freely with no propper control.

Thanks in advance,

:D

2. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

I'm not sure what you could do but I under no circumstances would allow a 7 year old to walk a bullmastiff unsupervised. I hate to say it but could you call the dog warden or something? I'm sure they could step in and do something.

3. gesic

gesic PetForums VIP

it is actually illegal for a child of this age to be out in public unsupervised with a dog..anydog.
    I would report them, very irresponsable parents:mad:

4. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

my God what are the parents thinking... heaven knows what could happen, with the dog or even with the little girl, i would even consider reporting it to the police, even asking them if they could keep an eye out for them , any thing could happen.. what if the dog got into a fight? what would the little girl do?
    I would not even let a 14 year old walk my dogs on a lead never mind off a lead

juliex

5. punkyvix

Thanks for the advice guys, I thought it might be an issue for the dog warden to deal with, but council websites have such sketchy info!

Will I need to find out where they live, or will reporting it be enough?

6. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

Report it and they can keep an eye out for the girl. There can't be many 7 year olds walking bullmastiffs around.

7. gesic

gesic PetForums VIP

the more info u have the easier it is for officials to intervene.
    Be careful though...dont ask/follow child or u could end up in hot water:confused: Its a crazy world we live in now i am afraid.

8. punkyvix

Too true!

Much as I am concerned for the safety of my dog, I draw the line at stalking people!

We have also seen the parents with the dog, and know some people who know them, so getting a bit of extra info shouldn't be too tough.

:D

9. hazel pritchard

hazel pritchard PetForums VIP

Maybe you could give your local dog warden a call and tell them about your worries,they may be able to have a friendly word with the adults who own this dog.

10. Patterdale_lover

Patterdale_lover PetForums VIP

Next time it comes running towards you, stand in front of your dog, calmyl not agressivley, just shout 'NO' Don't lean forward as this could be seen as a threat, just stand strong
    This happened once to me with Bess when a Boxer came running towards us. It stopped and i said 'NO' again sttod my groubnd and it walked off.
    Even if the dog just calms down before greeting you that is an improvement.
    As for the little girl walking it, :eek: A 7 year old should not be walking any dog let alone a bull mastiff, report it if you see it again :)

11. nerd of prey

nerd of prey PetForums Junior

It is scary how irresponsible some dog owners are. It may seem like the nicest dog in the world but if it took a dislike to another dog (as all dogs are prone to do from time to time) it could potentially kill it. It also isn't very safe for a 7 year old to be out on her own, what if the dog ran off? What if if dragged her onto a road? seriously report them for their own safety.

It reminded me of this story from my local paper, although this dog escaped from the garden. It makes me sick how people don't keep their dogs under control and it's always the dogs that have to suffer for it.

boy hurt, dog attack, Rottweiler, new parks, leicester, this is leicestershire,

12. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I very much doubt if it is illegal. Irresponsible with a dog of this size but not illegal unless a new law has been passed recently.
    Bull Mastiffs are very strong dogs, I used to handle and train one for a couple and they had both been pulled over by him.

13. gesic

gesic PetForums VIP

I would still say illegal as a child of 7 cannot be held resposable for this dog it may as well be out in public off lead alone. This is illegal and by rights the dog could be siezed.
    I actually do hope a law comes into force that would at least prosecute the parents of said children as how many of us have heard of dogs been set on other animals (peoples pets) by children and nothing can be done as they are minors:mad:
    The laws in this country are way too soft and a harder approach is most def needed!

14. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

just because you dont like it doesnt make it law. I imagine it would take a judge to make a ruling unless there is a law that actually states that children under x years of age are not allowed to be out with a dog. And as a lot of children own and take responsibility for their dogs this would be a rather unfair law. As it stands there isnt even a law that says children cant be out on the road with their pony.

15. gesic

gesic PetForums VIP

Dangerous Dogs Act 1991 (section 3)

It is a criminal offence (for the owner and/or the person in charge of the dog) to allow a dog to be ‘dangerously out of control’ in a public place, a place where it is not permitted to be, and some other areas. A ‘dangerously out of control’ dog can be defined as a dog that has injured someone or a dog that a person has grounds for reasonable apprehension that it may do so.

[COLOR="red"]Something as simple as your dog chasing, barking at or jumping up at a person or child could lead to a complaint, so ensure that your dog is under control at all times

I still stand by what i have said prev.
    Although I am aware that a lot of children can and do take excellent care of their dogs in public u cannot deny that this is not true of all children.
    A dog of this size can do an immense amount of damage should it choose to and sorry but a grown man would have difficulty splitting a fight between a mastiff and another dog let alone a 7 yr old girl.
    The issue here is that the dog was obviously out of control in apublic place and as such the owners should be made aware of this and made to take responsibility.
    Fair enough if the kid is allowed out on her own thats not the prob she is however not responsible for the dog should it cause an accident or even makes another child fell intimidated my the sheer size of dog!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice