Advice needed please

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Lizzieloo369, May 12, 2018.

1. Lizzieloo369

Lizzieloo369 PetForums Newbie

I am bringing my cob back into work after having winter off (just because the weather hasn’t been right and only having an outdoor school)

So we are only doing light work walk trot and a bit of canter ridden or walk and trot on the lunge.

Anyway, I know he is unfit but he is sweats on his neck underneath the saddle and flanks and he hasn’t been clipped. And I’ve never clipped him.

Would you clip or not clip?

2. JLML

JLML PetForums Newbie

I’m absolutely not an authority on horse care, but clipping now sounds like it would be a good move.

Is he shedding? Maybe he needs a good grooming, as it is getting so much milder, and mine are super moulting

3. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

If you're not showing him, then you could clip him.

Is he still carrying a lot of Winter coat?

4. Lizzieloo369

For a cob he doesnt carry much fur. Its quite thin. Yeah he still shedding..... white fur everywhere

Then im not sure where to do a trace or blanket if hed be better clipped.

5. Lizzieloo369

No not showing hes just a rather expensive pet haha.

No he doesnt carry a great deal of fur. So kind of stuck on what to do or even what clip to give him.

6. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

If he's just coming back into work, I would give it a while for him to get fitter and shed more coat.

If he continues to sweat, I would think about clipping him, but I would give it a chance first.

7. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

I agree with Rafa. You could clip, there’s no harm, but as he’s just coming back into work I would leave it for now as he may get better as he gets fitter.

Make sure you’re not pushing him too much if he’s unfit.. how long has he been off? Canter work might be a lot if he’s had a lot of time off. What’s your hacking like? A great way to get them fit is to do some hill work. In walk at first, just get him marching up and down hills and after a couple of weeks of that do the same in trot.