Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice needed please.

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by deb53, Jun 25, 2009.

1. deb53

deb53 PetForums VIP

Hi Everyone.

"Mrs Rabbit" came to live with me 3 weeks ago, she is a 12 week old lop eared silver.

She is an absolute delight, so friendly and constantly craving atttention and craving cuddles.

She is living in a 5ft hutch and also has a run in the garden. She has toys and gnawing thingys but ignores these.

My dilemma is do I get her a companion? I am at home all day and pick up her to cuddle her many times during the day but as soon as she sees me she is up at the wire asking for attention. She makes me feel so guilty !!!

As a newbie to rabbits can anyone advise on..
    1. Do I get another rabbit to go with her?

2. Would she accept another taking in consideration she is still young?

3. If so would another female be ok?

4. As she is so affectionate and attached to me would that continue ( I wouldnt want her to change but just feel that maybe I am being unfair and selfish denying her of a mate)

5. I have also considered a Guinea Pig but have read so many sites that say they can live together and others that say that they can't I am now very confused about what is right. Years and years ago when we were young we all kept a rabbit and a guinea pig together but that doesn't mean it was right!!

If anyone has any advice or thoughts on this please can you let me know. I just want Mrs Rabbit to be happy and content.

O yes forgot to say she is the same with the cat and dog. If they walk pass her she is frantically trying ti get with them. Bless her.

2. cassie01

cassie01 PetForums VIP

Because shes already attached to you I doubt she will stop wanting a cuddle no matter how many friends you get her.

Guinea pigs can get hurt by rabbits very easily which is why they are best not kept together, if you want to get her a friend another rabbit would be best but you would need another hutch. At least to start with while you were bonding afetr that they can stay in seperate hutches or you can buy a larger one.

As she is still young you may be able to bond her with another female but as they get older if they dont get spayed they may either fight or hump each other (not to mention the health issues). If you get a male you will still need to get them both done becasue if only one of them is dont the other may well still hump and they may fall out. males and females are easier to bond but they cant go together until they are done as accidents can happen and they cant be introduced for a few weeks after they have been done because they can still be fertile.

awkward isnt it.

3. Lisa Franklin

Lisa Franklin PetForums Junior

Hello

I have been on this forum for a few weeks now and people have spoken in the past about rabbits and guinepigs going together and they have always said that it is a big no no. I think it is because of the size difference and also they both have different dietry needs.

I have a bunny who is 1 1/2 Harry and I have just got him a friend Honey 8 weeks old. Harry has already been nutered but obviously Honey to to young to have been yet.

I was advised that as I had a boy I would need to get a girl to be his friend and to get her neutered as well when she is old enough.

Tricky thing is, is that if you got a boy you could end up with more babies.

There are some really experianced bunny owners on here so I am sure that someone will give you the correct advise.

I think that it is a good idea to get her a friend. Harry is really effectionate with me but I still wanted to get him a friend that was his own kind.

4. deb53

deb53 PetForums VIP

Thanks Cassie for the quick reply...

Wow you have certainly given me a dilemma to think about here hahah.

Another hutch is out of the question to be honest as I spent a fortune on this 5ft one and am on limited funds (due to being old and decrepid !!!) well decrepid and feeling old

Having the 5ft and the run I was hoping it would be enough space for 2.

I obviously knew that if getting a male he would need to be castrated but at what age would the op need to be done? Would a baby male need to be seperated at a few weeks of age until he was castrated? At what age can they become fertile? and at what age can they be castrated safely?

It shows how naive I am in the knowledge of rabbits because I honestly thought that 2 females would live ok together without being spayed, it was just the introducing I was worried about. Please excuse my ignorance. Thank god for forums like this!!

So it looks like I will just have to spend more time sitting in this beautiful weather with a rabbit on my lap and a pot of tea on the garden table. B****r the house work!!!! haha

5. kellyrich

kellyrich PetForums VIP

To be honest you are the judge of your own dilema! If a rabbit is left alone a lot of the time then it would be best to have a friend but if you spend a lot of time with the bun then she would probably be fine so its down to you to judge really, some buns are happy on their own and some prefer one of their own kind.

If you do decide to get her a mate, a good option may be to take her to a rescue and they can do the bonding process for you if you didnt want to do it! But she is very young at the moment and still has to go through her hormonal stage yet and if you did get a male companion then they would need neutering/spaying. Most bondings do work but some dont! Would you be able to have another rabbit i suppose is another question? Females can get along together most of the time but your best option is always a doe and a buck.

When my two rabbits bonded Dexie still loved my attention but Barney didnt he just wanted to be with Dexie so i guess it differs between rabbits to be honest!

Piggies and buns together is a definite NO NO!

I have Stan on his own at the moment and have the same dilema as you whether to get him a mate or not but im gonna see how it goes on his own for now as he is a very happy bun but i would like to get him a mate for when we arent there etc x

Let us know what you decide x

6. hazyreality

hazyreality PetForums VIP

I would say a trip to a rescue centre to see if they have any neutered boys and to ack advice would be the best thing to start with. They will no doubt have younger boys in, and they can be neutered at about 16 weeks, so proberly already done which would make it easier, so you dont have to worry about the babies, and they could proberly bond them for you.

*Heidi*

7. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

Hiya!

Sounds like you have a gorgeous little bun!

There honestly is nothing better than seeing bonded pair of buns snuggled up together.

If it were me Id take your girl to a rescue and let her decide up to a point, the experienced rescues will bond them for you so theres no risk of you ending up with two seperate buns! The best combo is a spayed doe and neutered buck, If you get a buck thats already neautered and vacc it takes the hassle out of it for you and means his hormones settled making bonding easier. You will have to get your doe down to help with the bonding and to prevent cancer of the uterus (80% un-spayed does develop it). You may find in the next few weeks her behaviour will change a little, its normal for her to ba a little territorial and stroppy, some buns are much better than others.

As others have said guinea pig is a big no no and is never a good idea, they wouldnt live together naturally in the wild, its very dangerous and un-necessary.

Have a looky here Rabbit Rehome - Adopt an unwanted bunny from a rescue centre there are more in the 'in need' section on the forum too.

Goodluck :)

8. deb53

deb53 PetForums VIP

Thankyou so much for all your advice.

I do have a RSPCA centre near to me so I could definatly try there.

Is it advisable to have one of similar age? Obviously the lad will be slightly older if he is to be castrated first but is it better for a young one rather than say a year old.

mmmm... just read that back and its a bit jarbled hope you can all see what i'm getting at. I just want to make sure I get it right.

9. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

I dont think it makes a huge difference but a young male would probably be more suitable, there are plenty around! Some im sooooo tempted with lol would have a whole garden full of bunnies if i could! :D

10. cassie01

cassie01 PetForums VIP

I mixed and 8 year old girl with and 8 month boy just last year and they were easy to mix and got on great. So age is not really a problem when mixing but it can be uspsetting when one dies. Personally I prefer mixing similar ages, a year or two difference I think is the most I would do again. A rescued male would probably be your best bet as they usually come neutered and fully health checked.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice