Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice needed please.

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Shelly11, May 22, 2017.

1. Shelly11

Shelly11 PetForums Newbie

Back in December we rehomed two beautiful kittens, brothers. They have only been let outside two months ago but this weekend one of them got into my neighbours garden who has four dogs and they attacked him, killing him instantly. We are all totally devasted. I'm now not sure what to do with my other lovely boy. I've kept him in since the attack and feel I can not let him out for fear of the same thing happening. The trouble is he loves being outside and I don't think it's fair on him. I've thought about rehoming him but it would break our hearts. I've also considered a run but worried he'd hate being caged. Please any advice would be gratefully received. Very sad family at the moment.

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hello @Shelly11 and welcome. :)

I am very sorry to hear of the loss of your poor kitten. :( .That is an awful thing to happen.

One of my neighbour's cats was killed last summer by 2 GSDs who got loose from their own garden and broke into my neighbour's back garden where the cat was lying in the sun.

As you live next door to these 4 dogs I think you have no choice but to keep your cat safe by fencing in your garden with special professional cat proof fencing so your cat cannot get out at all. If for some reason you can't do that, then I think a run has to be the answer.

There is a long sticky on the boards with lots of details about installing cat proofed gardens and runs:

http://www.petforums.co.uk/threads/cat-runs-cat-proofed-gardens.211361/

If your kitten is less than a year old I would keep him indoors anyway for now. But even an adult cat would stand no chance against 4 dogs if they regard cats as prey.

3. cows573

cows573 PetForums Senior

Oh my goodness! That must have been devastating for you and your family!

I would second Chillminx and say a cat proofed garden is likely to be your only option...

Would be interested to hear what the neighbour had to say though. I have had dogs and cats all my life and have never had any of my dogs attack the cats... They know to treat them with respect. I would be horrified if one of my dogs did anything like this!

4. Shelly11

5. Shelly11

Thank you both, yes I will need to look into cat proofing the garden. My neighbours dogs are a lurcher type breed so I guess it's in their nature. My old faithful lab is so dopey with the kittens that I guess they thought all dogs are like that. The cat proofing companies I've had a quick look seem really expensive, does it really work?

6. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@cows573 - I have known many dogs who could be trusted with the cats they live with, as they see them as part of the family. But could not necessarily be trusted not to chase cats they didn't know. Once they chase them it means they are likely to grab them.

Some breeds I personally wouldn't trust around cats at all, e.g. Huskies and GSDs.

Hopefully the dogs' owner was sorry about the poor kitten but I would not be surprised if he/she felt defensive. The dogs were contained in their own garden, the cat was free roaming. I know dog owners who feel cats must take their chances if they venture into a garden where there are dogs.

Shelly11 likes this.
  7. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Yes, that is the problem when cats share their home peaceably with dogs. And the younger the cat the more likely they are to take risks without thinking about it. An adult cat would be more cautious.

Cat proofing does work. Some systems are expensive, others not so much. The one I like is this one:

http://www.purrfectfence.co.uk/

Shelly11 likes this.
  8. maisiecat

maisiecat PetForums VIP

Our neighbour once informed me that her friend had visited with her jack Russell and my boy was also there, she calmly said 'I thought he was going to get him'. Just one reason we bought aviary panels and built a run, we later extended it so he had plenty of space.

chillminx and Shelly11 like this.
  9. Emmasian

Emmasian PetForums VIP

You can buy the kits from somewhere like ProtectaPuss website, which is what I did, then DIY them onto existing fencing depending on your circumstances. Mine has been very successful and worked out alot cheaper than a straightforward job from their consultants, but it still wasn't particularly inexpensive as I had to raise my fences - it will depend on your garden. I would suggest whatever you do that you will need to keep a close eye on the fencing on the side of the neighbours with these charming dogs, just to ensure they haven't damaged it or created holes small enough for a kitten to slip through. I definitely would suggest keeping him in till at least one though, so he's through the more kamikaze phase. My Maine Coons were 18 months ish by the time they went out so though I check the fence regularly, they are less likely to squeeze through any tiny gaps.

chillminx and Shelly11 like this.
  10. maisiecat

maisiecat PetForums VIP

With the dogs being there I would put up an enclosure, the biggest you can, just in case something went wrong with fencing or there was a hole somewhere.
    We bought our first batch of aviary panels ready made and brand new, then when we extended it for him (about 3/4 of the width of the house and half the patio) I found someone selling their old aviary on Ebay and bought the rest from them. It is now in it's third garden, easy to take apart and move and can be picked up and moved for cleaning, decorating of house etc.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice