Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

advice needed please

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by jonesy14, Jun 21, 2010.

1. jonesy14

jonesy14 PetForums Newbie

Hi all, we have had a 13 week old jack russell puppy for about 6 weeks now. She has been crate trained since 8 weeks old and is very happy in there at night and during the day when we pop out.

My problem is that when i see my 3 children (12,9 & 6 yrs old) she constantly will not leave them alone, she is always jumping up at them and occasionally tears thier clothing with her teeth.

We all try to be firm with her and say NO but she doesnt listen. The kids are not winding her up, and i dont believe she is nasty with them just too excitable.

I know my kids arent with her 24/7 but i wished she could get used to them more.

I said to my partner that we should try to crate her for a little while until she learns to calm down, but my partner disagrees with this and says that she should 'just learn to get used to them'

Any advice would be greatly appreciated..

2. aloevera

aloevera PetForums Member

I would say, try shocking her every time she goes to jump on them, for example a loud noise, or a little tap on the nose?

We have the same sort of problem with Halle (my mongrel :p ) as she is now 5months old and is still excited to see us when we let her out the cage, and she just goes to nibble and then bite our hands, I simply give a stern NO and push her away. she then works out that she will get attention when she gives my hand a lick, rather than a bite :)

Hope things are sorted for you soon, and your Kids can fully enjoy the puppy, without being ripped up :lol:

Aloe xxx

3. Horse and Hound

Horse and Hound PetForums VIP

I have a 14 week old JRT x Westie and he's going through the mouthing stage! He snaps at the air, chews on us etc.

I've talked to the vet/trainer and they say he will grow out of it, but if he's hurting us to say "ouch!" and pull our hand away, replacing it with nylabone or a chew toy instead, to distract him.

Your pup won't be reacting to your kids, nor will it simply need to "get used to them". It will see them as part of its pack and is trying to engage them in a game.

Encourage them to play with a chew toy, perhaps get a rag-a-bone thing that you can get from P@H (rope toy with tassles on) that you can hold one end of and let the dog pull with the other. He/she'll soon learn that to play they need to bring the toy along!

And crate training is a brill way of giving your pup some "time out" when he/she is tired and needs to sleep. Just NEVER use it as a punishment and make sure your kids stay away from him/her when he is in the cage so he/she learns it is their personal space to escape to.

4. jonesy14

jonesy14 PetForums Newbie

Thanks everyone for your swift advice, ill try those methods, thanks

5. sue&harvey

sue&harvey PetForums VIP

You may find the high pitched ouch excites them further. If that method doesn't work, please don't tap on the nose. Any adversarys give the dog attention. Scaring the dog also wont teach him good bite inhabition. Try the ouch version first. If this excites him, put a baby gate somewhere that he can see you but not get to you, and put him in time out completely ignoring him. No no's No Bad boys no nothing. Ignore him until he is calm, then he can come out again. When he does it again, put him back following the same process. He will soon learn bites = no attention. Praise him when he has a nyalbone or his chew.
    Puppy Training and Play Biting

This has a few good tips.
    Hope this helps :)

6. ploddingon

ploddingon PetForums Senior

My pup was bad with this too, but is now settling and hardly jumps at all now (thankfully)

I found that if he got excited when children were around then he was 10 times worse, so I used to get them to ignore him completely when they came in. I asked them not to speak to him, laugh when he jumped up - nothing at all, and to stand still when he came near.

It was hard to get them in the swing of it initially, but after a wee while they did it, and t has helped, along with a firm NO when he looked as if he was going to jump

I also got them all to have treats and after the dog had had a chance to calm down, they would take turns to get him to do a bit of obedience.

Fingers crossed it seems to be working!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice