Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice needed please

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Alli and Trixy, May 27, 2010.

1. Alli and Trixy

Alli and Trixy PetForums Junior

Hi guys
    I really need some advice please.
    My Alfie (shih tzu) 9 month old is booked in tomorrow for a opperation called bileteral ulnar osteotorny. (Elbow Dysplasia)
    He had an x-ray a few weeks ago because he has trouble getting up once he is lying down.
    They told me his 2 front legs are deformed, the bone isnt growing properly, so they are going to break his 2 front legs and put them into place.
    His hip also slips out of place but they cant do anything for it so he will be on pain killers probably for life.
    When I asked if he really needed the opp she says if he didn't have it he will get arthritis very young and having the opp will reduce it by 90%.
    We have just been for his hair cut and the groomers are shocked as they says most of the shih tzu's have legs like his but alot worse and they are fine.
    Ive lost my job recently so its the pdsa that is dealing with him and I cant really see them doing an unnecessary opperation.
    Im in 2 minds now as its going to be a big opperation and I really dont know what to do, what do you think!!!
    Thanks xxx

#1 Alli and Trixy, May 27, 2010
    Last edited: May 27, 2010
  2. rona

rona Guest

I think the vet has more information than your groomer

3. kazschow

kazschow PetForums VIP

I agree with Rona...

4. Alli and Trixy

I just rang my normal vets to get an appointment for an second oppinion and they more or less put my mind at rest over the phone.
    She says that the pdsa wouldnt do a big opperation like that unless it was in the dogs best interest.
    I could take Alfie in for second oppinion but the vet would have to do another x-ray.
    Does anyone know if this is common in Shih tzu's :confused1:
    Thanks xx

5. rona

rona Guest

I've just googled it and can't find any reference.
    Is there another name for it?

6. flufffluff39

flufffluff39 PetForums VIP

My shihstzus back knee joints slipped out all the time. The vet told me he was very inbred. I did'nt buy him though he was taken off a relative of oh.

7. Alli and Trixy

I just found this Elbow Dysplasia

Alfie has all the symptoms, reading this ive definitly decided to go ahead with the op. xx

8. rona

rona Guest

Well that makes sense now.
    I've learnt something new today :D
    If you had made a thread on Elbow Dysplasia you would get endless advice :thumbup:

9. Alli and Trixy

Funny you say that im wondering if mine are pure bred.
    I have all the papers but a few month ago the breader was on TV as he is getting investigated.
    BBC - Chris Jackson's Blog: Statement by Kevin Knox about allegations he has been selling sick puppies
    I had loads of problems with my 2 and cost me a fortune at the vets for emergency care, and he just told me it was because I changed their food. I didnt even get the free months insurance with Alfie.
    Im now questioning myself if Alfie and Trixy are inbred. But I love them and wouldnt swap them x

#9 Alli and Trixy, May 27, 2010
    Last edited: May 27, 2010
  10. Alli and Trixy

I didnt know, I asked the vet to write it down and It was Bileteral Ulnar Osteotomy, Ive just learned something new today as well :thumbup:xx

11. Alli and Trixy

Ive added it in my first post thank you xx

12. Alli and Trixy

Alfie had the operation today.
    He has me in tears he is in so much pain when he moves.
    All went well and they have inserted pins in his legs, so hopefully in a few days the pain will of eased but until then it looks like I wont be sleeping.
    I really dont know how he is going to have the toilet as he cant stand, ive tried holding him up on the mat but nothing.

13. rona

rona Guest

My heart goes out to you.
    My boy didn't go toilet for 3 days after his cruciate operation, don't worry too much.
    What pain relief have you got? I asked my vet for more

14. Alli and Trixy

He is on anti inflamitrys called Carprofen 20mg but what has got me puzzled is he was on 1 and a half before the op, they have told me to only give him one after the operation :confused1:
    After I give him one earlier it has eased the pain but if it starts again I will be ringing the vet to ask if I can up his dose x

15. rona

rona Guest

Ask your vet about giving Tramadol for a few days, as this can be given with Carprofen and is a powerful combination pain relief

16. Alli and Trixy

Thanks I will see hoe he goes through the night xx

17. rona

rona Guest

How is he now?

18. Alli and Trixy

He is just lying asleep, Im going to stay down stairs with him tonight to make sure he is comfortable.
    Ive just been reading up about Tramadol, sounds good with good reviews :thumbup: xx

19. rona

rona Guest

You'll be sleeping there a few nights I think. :(

20. rona

rona Guest

How are you and Alfie coping this morning?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice