Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice needed please re: Moving Home

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by mezzer, Apr 18, 2011.

1. mezzer

mezzer PetForums VIP

Hi all

I have recently moved home, (just over a week ago) now Treacle, Buddy & Dotty have all settled in well and are enjoying being outside in their cat run but Blue on the other hand doesn't seem to have taken the move too well. He just seems to stay in the bedroom only popping out to be fed or use the litter box but yesterday he started being sick and was like this a few times throughout the day, what I would like to know is he stressing himself out or does he sound like he is generally unwell? He has been fine up until yesterday morning.

2. mezzer

mezzer PetForums VIP

Any thoughts :confused:

3. missye87

missye87 PetForums VIP

It could be either quite frankly. Some cats don't respond well to changes and it may take them longer to settle. However, I would recommend taking him to the vet just to rule out any health issues, considering he was sick a few times in under 24 hours. My vet says occasional sick isn't bad, but to always bring them in just in case if it is a few times.

Ems x

4. kelly-joy

kelly-joy PetForums VIP

cats are creatures of habit and can get really upset by anything new, even little changes can stress them out, for example I had one guy who had a cat that he didn't want to re home but could not understand why his cat was peeing everywhere, He asked us to help him so I spoke with him he had his cat checked by the vet and they could find nothing wrong with him, so I asked him to go away and have a think about anything new in the cats life even if it is something really small and try moving whatever it is away to see if that maybe what was upsetting him, anyway didn't hear from him for a week and then he phoned me up and said my cat hates my new trainers, I moved them and he has stopped. I asked him to move them back to see if he would start peeing again and sure enough wherever he put the trainers the cat would pee just near them, I know it sounds odd but its true and there must have been something to do with the trainers that the cat didn't like. My point is that moving house is much bigger than the case above so your cat is going to act much worse. Saying that I would however get your cat checked if it keeps being sick. If the vet can find nothing wrong them I would get some plug inn feilways, put some rescue remedy in his water and perhaps use a herbal stress drug such as Zylkene tablets.You could also try cross scenting things in the new home that weren't in your old home to do this put a clean pair of socks on your hands stroke your cat especially under the chin and along the flacks with most of the scent is, one you have down that go a stroke the new object with the socks still on, it will transfer your cats scent onto the new object. As cats are all about smell your cat will associate the thing with him and the will see it as less of a threat. Good luck I hope your cat settles in soon.

5. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Stress can cause illness, and Blue has been under considerable stress. Every cat reacts differently to something like a move. Please take him to the vet without delay.

Keep us posted.

6. mezzer

mezzer PetForums VIP

Hi

Thanks for all the advice. Although he seemed a lot better this morning I took Blue to the vets and they checked him over and it doesn't look like anything major. The vet said that he just needs time to settle which he will in time.

One thing I noticed yesterday with Blue is that he watches the pigeons and sparrows on the bird feeders from my bedroom window, he chatters to them and seems to get himself in a bit of a frenzy, then he was sick, it's like he made himself anxious, if that makes sense.

I suppose coming from a 3rd floor flat to a ground floor with a garden makes the world seem a bigger and daunting place as mine have only ever known looking down out of a window on everything and as we all know the world can be a scary place, even more so for a cat, hopefully over time he will settle in and then go out into his run with the others.

Just so glad that he is ok and nothing major to worry about :)

7. missye87

missye87 PetForums VIP

The chattering noise isn't a sign of anxiety, rather the opposite :) Cats do that when they see animals they usually hunt, birds, mice, squirrels... :) I read on one website it can be roughly translated as "If I was out there I'd get you!" :p

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice