Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice needed please - Agression between cats

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Jane07, Jun 7, 2018.

1. Jane07

Jane07 PetForums Newbie

Hi all, I am new to the forum so hope i'm posting in the correct place. I have 6 cats 4 of them from the same litter 3 male and 1 female, the mother and another unrelated. The 4 from same litter are now 3 years old, all have been neutered a couple of years ago. Over the last couple of months 2 of the males are being very agressive towards the 3rd male. They make a beeline for him and attack him. He is becoming quite anxious now and I am at my wits end. He is the biggest of the all of them but a gentle giant. I have just had to treat him for an abscess on his back caused no doubt by one of these skirmishes. I have felliway diffusers, we live in a rural area so plenty of space for them. It is almost as if they don't recognise him even though they were all born here and have lived here together since. Even the other cats in the household give him a wide berth and often see them sniffing him as if he a strange cat. Any advice would be appreciated as I am at the point where I think it would be kinder to rehome him, but I really don't want to. Thank you for reading

Puddy2shoes likes this.
  2. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

It can be very hard to get that number of cats to all get along even when there is plenty of space and so on for all of them. Cats don't become socially mature until as late as 4 years, so problems can gradually surface. Personally I think a new home for the one being picked on is best. it's hard - very hard - but when I did this with one of mine I was so relieved once I knew she was happy in a home as an only cat.

Soozi and chillminx like this.
  3. Jane07

Jane07 PetForums Newbie

Thanks OrientalSlave, I am really trying to avoid it but can't bear to see this happening. I don't understand why they are picking on him, never had a multi cat household before is this a normal thing to happen? Is there a reason for it or is it just one of those things that can't be explained? Thanks again

4. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

Unfortunately, cats from the same litter don't always get on together once they grow up. I think as all your other cats seem to treat him as an outsider, it would be virtually impossible to get them all to change so I agree [email protected] that a home on his own would be the answer as he must be very stressed and it will only get worse if it continues. I've had a cat who was constantly picked on by another and I rehomed one of them as a last resort and it proved the best thing for both cats even though it was difficult to do. I'm sure you'd rather he was happy elsewhere than stressed and unhappy, as well as being hurt by being picked on.

Puddy2shoes likes this.
  5. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

It is basically territorial behaviour. It is not uncommon in multicat households. Two of the males feel there is too much competition for resources in the home, so the two of them are trying to persuade the 3rd one to leave and find his own territory. Cats are possessive and protective about their resources (food, water, litter trays, scratch posts, cat beds, human attention etc)

The 3rd male is a sweet natured cat who doesn't want to fight and doesn't mind sharing the resources with the others. He doesn't want to give up his home. However as you say, it is not fair for him to be bullied constantly. It will make him anxious and could result in a nasty stress related illness such as cystitis.

To stop the bullying you either need to separate the 2 males from the 3rd male permanently by dividing your house into 2, so they have their own territory indoors, or you need to rehome the sweet gentle boy or the two bossy bullies. How old is the gentle boy?

Puddy2shoes, Soozi and Summercat like this.
  6. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

How sad! I’ll never understand cat politics :rolleyes:
    I do think that if the problem has been going on for a long time and can’t be solved by separation which I think would leave your gentle boy living a life of isolation. Then it might be best for him to be rehomed where he can live in peace. Poor boy having to suffer bites and abscesses must be miserable for him. I can understand you being devasted having to let him go but his happiness has to be priority. xxx

7. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

The more cats in a household the more likely it is to happen. We can't understand why one cat ends up being bullied as we aren't cats.

8. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

The gentle boy could mix OK with the 3 females, in his section of the house as could the other two males in their section of the house. You'd need to fit a microchip cat flap on the indoor dividing door to keep the 2 bossy males separate from the gentle male. As a system it works, I have done it myself. :)

Soozi likes this.
  9. Puddy2shoes

Puddy2shoes PetForums Member

Hi Jane07, just read through these posts, chillminx has raised an important point re the females, if he does get along with the females but you decide to rehome him, thats a point you could stress to a rehoming shelter (if you go that route) that he could live with a calm female, he sounds like a real sweet guy and it would be a shame if he ended up being an only cat when, if not for the bullying, he enjoyed the company of other cats around, good luck, please post again with an update at some point.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice