Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice needed: Our chihuahua attacked by unleashed Chinese Shar Pei

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by antiego, Feb 20, 2021.

1. antiego

antiego PetForums Newbie

Hi folks,

I'm looking for any advice people can give me regarding our pet chihuahua being attacked earlier while my girlfriend was walking her. I was at home and my girlfriend called me in a panic saying that a big dog went for our chihuahua.

We got home and her and the dog were clearly traumatized. She explained what happened and where:

Not only was this dog off the leash, it ran across the street at our dog and went straight for her. The owner didn't even call his dog back, just ran after it and tried to pull it back. My girlfriend panicked and quite rightly said "You need to take control of your dog!". He came back with some angry remarks about it being an accident and who does she think she's talking to. He was shouting after her the whole time she walked away with Chi in her hands.

Our chi, Maya (you may see photos of her when we first adopted her into the family, I posted on here, she is currently 9 months old) only suffered a small open wound, really we think she was lucky not to have lost the leg or been killed. What could have happened if this was a child?

We rang the dog warden as soon as we could, and explained where and when all this happened, the description of the dog which she thought to be a blood hound or bull mastiff -- we realize now it was a Chinese Shar Pei, need to inform them of this.

They took all the details of the location and what happened and what little she could describe of the owner. He walked out of a cul-de-sac with the dog so it's likely he lived in one of several house in that estate.

I suppose that other than this, there is not much more we can do, my girlfriend is intent on finding a facebook profile of this guy, to be able to indetify him to assist the dog warden...

We are bringing Maya the chi to the vet ASAP... we dressed her wound with some savlon with chlorhexidine 0.5% and bandages, read to change the dressing and ointment 3 times a day.

We won't be walking her again any time soon but worried because it's likely we could encounter this man and his dog on our route again...

Still quite shocked about this happening.. all I can think is that I will walk with them from now on instead of us alternating walks...

We didn't get any photos before dressing the wound but got video of the dressing which had bloodstains seeping through... her bleeding seems to have stopped. I will make sure to get photo/video when redressing the wound tonight as evidence...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated... should we take any steps to try to identify this guy, obviously not staking out the houses or estate... but maybe trying to sleuth facebook, shar pei groups etc.? At a loss as to what else we can do here... perhaps out of our hands. And worried about crossing them again on a future walk as the owner and dog were very aggressive.

Thanks in advance
    T

2. BlueJay

BlueJay Pack of Losers

Do take her to the vets asap; bites can be very nasty with infections, punctures being worse than they look and all sorts.

Make sure she gets a good few days to chill out without a walk (and heal), hopefully she wont be too affected by the incident mentally. When you do go back out with her, dont make a big deal of it. Plenty of positivity, nothing to be scared of!
    She may develop issues with other dogs, depending on her general demeanor, but hopefully she'll be ok.
    At least your chi is dinky enough to scoop up out of harms way if necessary!
    Carrying something like an umbrella, walking stick, even a ball chucker may be enough to put off a charging dog too. Shouting loudly before they reach you is your safest bet to try and ward them off. Even if you (or the owner!) things they might be friendly, it's better safe than sorry, especially with such a size difference at speed.

You've reported it, I'd probably leave it at that and just keep an eye out while out and about. Internet witch hunts can do more harm than good.
    Hopefully the owner was kicking off because of the scary situation and he was on the defensive, and now that he's actually seen he dog can do harm, he'll up his game a little. Hopefully.

Also just a side note... Yes it's an absolutely awful experience for anyone to go through, but please understand that dog aggression in NO WAY automatically translates to human aggression. Every time an animal gets hurt, people always seem to cry out 'oh, what if it was a child'. Yes, obviously some dogs are capable and willing to hurt children, but just because they go after other dogs, cats or small furries, does not mean that children are next in the firing line...

3. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

I'd not go on a witch hunt. If you can mention it to other locals and maybe find out the street he lives on that's fine, but you've mentioned it to the authorities so that's the main thing. I doubt there are many of the same looking dog in the area! And keep your vet records as proof of attack. Write everything down now while it's fresh so if you need to recall any information it's right there to read rather than trying to remember details at a later date.
    He may have been shocked at the whole thing too, people react differently when in stressful situations, looking back he may feel embarrassed and worried about the attack, but at the time he probably reacted badly. His dog should have been on lead as it could also have caused a traffic accident (you say it ran across the street/road?) so that's another thing to mention.
    I'm sure your dog will be fine, a bit sore maybe but get her to the vets and get some ABs as puncture wounds harbour bacteria and you don't want her to get an infection. Give her a couple of days to calm down then try not to worry about going out yourself as your dog will feel your stress and get worried themselves, just try to avoid that area for now until you've heard back from the DW.

Also just because the dog is dog reactive doesn't mean it would harm a child, they know the difference between the two.

EDIT: just realised I double posted with Bluejay

4. antiego

antiego PetForums Newbie

Thank you for the advice! And understood with regard to the animal vs. child. Thank you

5. antiego

antiego PetForums Newbie

Thank you!

Sarah H likes this.
  6. antiego

antiego PetForums Newbie

Quick update: we brought Maya our injured Chi to the out of hours vet after she seemed to be in pain and the wound was weeping through the bandage.

The vet told us that there were no fractures or broken bones and no soft tissue damage.

She received ABs and her leg was bandaged, thankfully she didn't require a collar.

She is back to her normal self now and sleeping sound...she will be well spoilt the next few days at least :D

Thanks for your advice, I'm glad we got her to the vet and she's OK.

Attached Files:

Tiggers, BlueJay, Sarah H and 2 others like this.
  7. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

You could report it to the Police too as they should act under Dog Law.

My own on leash dog was attacked by a loose dog and I reported it to DW (useless) and the Police (excellent). Police tracked down the owner via their car Reg and issued a 12 month Control Order.

Glad your little Chi seems ok though and hope she isn’t affected long term. It does shake you up though when it’s happened. I carried a hiking stick for a good while afterwards for reassurance.

8. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

I'm so sorry to hear what happened and hope Maya is now on the road to recovery

I can't add anything to the post as you've had some good advice, except to say having owned Shar-Pei, I wouldn't be in the least surprised if the one that attacked Maya did so thinking she was a cat.

antiego likes this.
  9. ttaylor45

ttaylor45 PetForums Senior

This happened to me twice with my two toy poodles in the photo a few years ago. In 2012 I was walking them both along a main road when Pepe was attacked by a Labrador Rottweiler cross, the woman had two off them and couldn’t control them she was walking towards me and they dragged her towards us. Poor Pepe was savagely attacked and suffered a broken rib where the dog bit clean through it and it also tore his abdominal wall which required stitches. She paid just £111.00 of a £ 700 pound bill which was the initial vet bill. The Vet said Pepe would most likely have been killed if he had not been wearing a coat at the time. When I found out from the police that the dogs had a previous court order to be muzzled I took her to court on the advice of the police where she was fined only £40 and given a list of restrictions I got nothing. Two years later she tried to rehome the dogs but fortunately the prospective new owners took them for a walk where they reacted very badly when they saw another dog so she had them put to sleep thank goodness. Sorry to sound harsh but they would have attacked again for sure. Two years later Rusty was attacked by a staffie who pulled the lead out of its owners hand whilst he was on his phone. He told my husband it was an accident and refused to pay the vet bill of £250.00 for 5 stitches in his back and although we reported him to the police they weren’t interested as it was the first time the dog had attacked. Sorry for the long post it makes me so mad when I read stories like yours I do hope your little dog makes a full recovery. It’s about time the owners of these dogs took responsibility. Pepe was attacked the first time by a border terrier fortunately no injuries that time but the woman blamed my dogs for barking at hers on a previous occasion which I am sure they didn’t,it was her horrible dogs fault entirely.

10. GB70

GB70 PetForums Member

Out of interest what is the best approach in this circumstance?

I could probably pick up a fully grown French Bulldog, provided she was compliant. But it would leave me pretty exposed to an off leash dog with the bit between its teeth.

11. ttaylor45

I picked Pepe up to stop him getting attacked any more even though the other owner kept saying put him down. There was no way it was an immediate reaction to save him and he was screaming in pain from his injuries. Pepe was so traumatised when I picked him up I felt his teeth on my hand even though he was the most gentle dog you could ever wish to have.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  12. Sarah H

If a dog is going for your dog then pick your dog up if you can, and although it might jump up at you it's unlikely to actually 'turn' and decide to have a go at you instead. Sure you might get in the way but generally the attacking dog will be trying to get at your dog and not trying to bite you.

Lurcherlad, BlueJay, O2.0 and 2 others like this.
  13. Jobeth

Jobeth PetForums VIP

I had an off lead dog rag my dog and managed to pick him up. The dog didn’t attempt to go for me but I was glad I only had one dog at the time. I have picked them both up when a fox started to follow us, and I wasn’t sure what it was going to do, but it wasn’t easy as one is nearly 9kg. I’d have to prioritise my Yorkie though in an emergency as she is only 4kg.

I hope your dog recovers and the dog warden does something about it.

Lurcherlad and LinznMilly like this.
  14. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Very glad to read you took her to the vet and that she is will be fine :)

It's a multi-pronged approach IME.
    The most important thing to start is to make sure you can control your own dog in this sort of scenario and that your dog doesn't make your situation more difficult with their behavior.
    To that end, I teach all my dogs to be dog neutral, don't stare at, bark at, react to other dogs. When a loose dog approaches, let me handle it.
    My little dog is still in training for this, she has good dog skills, but if need be, I will absolutely pick her up. I can hold her with one arm, so that leaves the other hand free to deal with the loose dog.

In almost all dog altercations, distance is your friend. Maintain distance. Create distance.
    If a dog is approaching, particularly without an owner, and particularly if I don't like the look of the approach, I don't wait around to see what will happen, I do what I can to encourage that dog to stay away.

I always walk with treats, one trick is to throw a handful of treats on the ground so that they scatter, and the oncoming dog will at least be distracted by the treats. Ideally the dog will start eating the treats and this gives you time to create distance - again it really helps if your own dog is cooperative so you can quickly create that distance without additional drama.
    Barring treats, a handful of pebbles thrown in the dog's direction works too - whatever is available. I walk near many gravel driveways so gravel is readily available. On the trails there is always at least a handful of small rocks. Even one rock thrown at a dog if your aim is good might be enough of a deterrent to keep him away.

A stout walking stick is a good tool, or if you prefer something more lightweight, they make collapsible trekking poles for hikers that work in the same way. Point the stick out at the dog, keep it between the oncoming dog and you. A good umbrella that pops open works too.

15. GB70

GB70 PetForums Member

Thanks, chucking some treats hadn’t occurred to me. Always have those as my pup is insatiable :)

Stick is also a good idea.

Hopefully will never have to use any of these tricks, but I live in town and lots of dogs about.

#15 GB70, Feb 21, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
    Lurcherlad and antiego like this.
  16. LotsaDots

LotsaDots PetForums Senior

I have been on the opposite side of this, my terrier ripped the lead out of my hand in the local pub and attacked a dog that was walking in. Fortunately she didn't do any physical damage but it was mortifying and I felt awful for ages afterwards. The owners were thankfully very understanding. I still don't know really why she did it and she hasnt since but I won't be taking any chances. So yes it's horrible to be on the receiving end but not all owners of reactive dogs are irresponsible and not all reactive dogs are horrible all of the time.

Sarah H likes this.
  17. Sarah H

I don't think anyone is saying that reactive dogs are horrible, my pei x is certainly 'reactive', but generally just on lead but I expect if she pulled the lead from my hand she would continue to have a go (however she is all noise and wailing and gnashing of teeth, so it would sound bad but she wouldn't do any physical damage. Off lead she is a million times better as she can get away, and will usually just have a sniff and carry on or ignore them completely). It is mortifying when your dog has a pop at another, as we get VERY protective of our dogs and feel their behaviour reflect on us as owners, but it's not hard to say sorry and make sure the other dog is OK and show some remorse even if it was a complete accident.
    The issue here is that the pei DID do damage, the dog it attacked was tiny and could have been hurt easily just due to size difference, and the owner didn't even attempt a 'sorry' but went on the offensive despite the dog running across a road to have a go at the poor little chi. Just a quick 'sorry the lead came out of my hand' wouldn't have been hard to say.

LinznMilly and Lurcherlad like this.
  18. ttaylor45

Well said in my case when it happened with Rusty the man with the staffie said it was an accident and when we saw him the next day and asked him to pay the vet bill he just smirked at my husband and said anyway I don’t live round here which was untrue because we have seen him several times since and he refused to pay the bill. The owners of the dogs that attacked Pepe did not apologise either. The staffie was also on an extending lead which in my opinion should not be used on reactive dogs.

19. Sarah H

Eugh it's people like that who give reactive dog owners a bad name.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  20. ttaylor45

Exactly gosh if it had been my dog I would have been so apologetic and I would have immediately offered to pay any vet bills.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice