Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice needed on number of cats!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Gemmie, Jun 18, 2010.

1. Gemmie

Gemmie PetForums Junior

Hi I need some advice please!

We currently have 2 cats- one 4 yr old girl called Minnie and one 1 year old male called Max. They tolerate each other and will often chase each other outside but are not snuggly buddies and Minnie will still often hiss at Max if he gets too close!

I have recently been volunteering at my local RSPCA centre and a stray cat with 2 kittens come in-one kitten is a male tabby and i have completely fallen in love with him! I really want to rehome him but my OH is not sure and thinks 3 cats is too many.

We live in a 2 bedroom house, down a quiet road opposite a large field and have a cat flap and garden. I think we have enough space for one more and I think our younger cat Max would love it too-i think he would get on with the kitten so well and could see them becoming snuggle buddies!

Need some advice on whether I'm being selfish or not...is 3 cats too many?????

2. Acrophylla

Acrophylla PetForums Member

No, 3 cats is not too many...it sounds as though you've got good surroundings and the right attitude!

3. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

I have got three and am currently considering a fourth - though somehow I think 4 is too many lol.

Go for it Well, I should qualify that. If you have the money for food, litter, vets, insurance etc, then by all means three is not too many. It is not going to make you a cat woman just yet!

4. malibu

malibu Guest

We have 4 at the moment but one kitten has a new home, but we are keeping the other two x

5. poshmog

poshmog PetForums Member

Had to giggle when I read this thread ,do I qualfy as a "cat woman"then as I've got 10??

Can honestly say as long as you have time ,funds ,and space ,I would say go for it .:)

6. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

We have 3 cats.
    We adopted the last one 15 months ago when he was 11 months old and our other two cats were then aged 15.
    Within 2 weeks they were fully introduced.
    The only time i seperated them was when we went out and at bedtime.
    That was just for about 6 weeks.
    I think one of the main things to consider is that the new comer is not bossy and wants to be top of the pecking order.
    Also making sure that you have the time to introduce them slowly and carefully.
    So why not have 3 :D
    I don't smoke or drink so my money goes towards looking after my cats and buying them treats and toys.

7. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

No, but when you have 14 then you do! :lol: (Yes, Sorcha, I mean you :D)

8. Staysee

Staysee PetForums VIP

We got 4 and live in a small 2 bedroomed bungalow, so no....aslong as you have the money, 3 in a two bedroomed house sounds fine

9. Oddball

Oddball Guest

We have 4 cats, well 5 if you count in Voodoo the feral that pops into the garden for meals.

Two stay indoors, one in and out and one outside.

We have a small-medium sized 3 bedroom. :)

10. Nina&Andrea'sMom

Nina&Andrea'sMom PetForums Junior

Sounds like you have a good environment and a good heart for more cats!

I only have two cats, and already consider myself a "cat lady". :p

Is your husband objecting to more cats because of space/financial issues or because he doesn't want to be known as a "cat man"? :D

11. Gemmie

Gemmie PetForums Junior

Been trying to talk to him all night as i really want to be able to say yes to the lady who runs the rspca centre before he gets snapped up! He still hasn't agreed yet thou!

Money and space isn't a problem at all. He is more concerned about what our friends think! That we will be known as the cat people! I don't care cause i love them all sooooo much!

12. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Lol - they might tease you a little perhaps but I am certain that you having three cats and not two is not going to be a topic of conversation for long (if at all I would like to add).

13. Philski

Philski PetForums Senior

The number of cats that is 'too many' varies from person to person. And that number can be calculated by working out the maximum number of cats that person/household can properly care for, and adding '1'.

14. HollyM

HollyM PetForums VIP

Can you not just bring the kitty home and he might fall in love?!?! Wishful thinking maybe!

15. LittleScruff

LittleScruff PetForums Junior

It sounds like you would easily be able to incorporate another cat into your house.
    We have 2 cats and live in a 2 bedroom house. I would love more but my OH objects as he thinks another cat would equal more mess (I don't know why he minds when I do ALL the cleaning up after the 2 we already have :confused: ).
    If you can give a homeless kitten a good and loving home, I think your OH could be persuaded.

16. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

As above...if you have the funds for another cat...Go for it! 3 is nothing!

17. gemini

gemini PetForums Member

I went to get one cat from the animal shelter and came back with two! Then went again 6 months later to take some food and blankets and fell in love with a 4 month old kitten they'd just got in. OH said that was our limit, but then I fell in love with a siamese x kitten (and so did OH). He said that was definitely our limit. But then last year I thought maybe we'd give a home to an elderly cat, so we did!

OH says 5 is definitely our limit, but we'll see!

18. AlexArt

AlexArt PetForums Senior

Dear god I really must be a mad cat lady then - I have 17 rejects that no-one else wanted - but I do live on a farm, even though they all come in at night - I often get 12 of them on my bed in winter, they make good hot water bottles!!!:eek::D

19. Cat_Crazy

Cat_Crazy PetForums VIP

3 cats is nothing!

I have 6 of my own plus 5 foster's as well as two large dogs.
    I love all my pets and don't feel I have too many.

In my opinion there is no such thing as too many unless you can no longer afford or have the time to care for them.

20. archie10

archie10 PetForums Newbie

I have 1 of my own who is nearly 4 years old and have just got 2 cats from the local animal shelter to foster for a while today. They are 16 & 17 years old, 1 has a heart murmour and the other cancer of the ears.....bless them! I am hoping my cat is going to be alright with them as she can be abit of a spoilt madam at times!! I fostered another old lady last year which I had for 10 months before she passed away. I also have a stray that comes in at night for food and a warm bed not to mention a bearded dragon, 2 turtles, corn snake, fish and stick insects. I only have a small house but have been quite happy to adapt and get rid furniture etc to make room for them!!!!

I do have the added advantage of living on my own though so don't ever have to ask if I can have another addition!!!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice