Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice needed on dog gate

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Sunking, Nov 21, 2019.

1. Sunking

Sunking PetForums Newbie

Hello, I new here and hope someone can offer me some advice.

I have a beautiful 4 year old pomchi called Louie who, through no fault of his own, has never quite got the hang of toilet training.

He's cost me hundreds of pounds in rugs thanks to a need to pee in the early hours.

The long and short of it is that we need a gate so we can keep him in the (wipeable) utility room over night.

Our issue is that he is impossible to contain.

He jumps up at doors and opens them; He can jump over dog gates; he can squeeze under dog gates and he can squeeze through the bars of dog gates.

We once crated him at my parent in law's house and he managed to squeeze through the door and rip up the lino!

The next night we cable tied the door to help stop him forcing it open but he did the same.

He is a well loved dog who gets lots of attention. My husband works from home so Louie is rarely left alone.

Has anyone got any advice about a dog gate that is tall enough, low enough and solid enough to contain this Houdini of a dog?

Thanks in advance.

2. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

I have something like this
    Best Pet Gate Bettacare Pet Gate Extra High 104cm for dogs & children https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00S58M62O/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_6XV1DbFPA1ANG

My lurcher can jump it if she really pushes herself but has only done that once or twice but she's big.

My yorkie and chihuahua are 4 kg can't get through. No way can they jump over either.

Harley my youngest whose a chihuahua Cross yorkie could walk through the bars when we first got her at approximately just under a 1 kg. Now she's 3 kg no chance.

niamh123 and Torin. like this.
  3. mrs phas

mrs phas karma is a funny old thing

im sorry but i find it difficult to believe a cross between a pomeranian and a chihuahua can jump a baby gate or jump up and open doors, from the floor
    but that isnt helping much
    first things first, have you habituated the dog to the crate? you cant just shove it in there and expect it to not pitch a fit, you have to go long and slow to make it a happy space, not a punishment one
    then
    is he weeing or is he marking his territory, ie is he neutered, thats not the be all and end all of solving boy problems, as some are learned, so neutering does nothing to help with those, but it definitely can help with marking issues
    then
    are you allowing him out often enough, especially before you leave him, even if hes been out for a wee 5 mins beforehand, make him go out and stay out with him, so you can see he HAS wee'd

once youve addressed all of that

easiest and quickest thing to do, turn door handles upside down, so you push them up to open them, no dog can solve that one, unless perhaps theyre a great dane whose nose is at the same height

get an actual dog gate, theyre higher than baby gates, and either use mesh or a piece of trellis across it to make the bars gaps too small, also position it onto the floor, not above the skirting so as there is no gap between the bottom horizontal bar and the floor

remove handles on doors and replace with knobs, even great danes cant do these, no opposable thumbs you see

get a dog crate the proper size for the dog, make sure it has both bars and cross bars, cable tie EVERY top mddle and bottom of every side where the two sides join
    use the catches on the door AND a twist tie, string or cabe tie at top and bottom of the door, in the corners above and below the door catches
    you can aso use suitcase sized padlocks to padlock the catches to the crate itself

if a mastiff cant get out of a crate after i did that to it then i very much doubt a pomchi can

very very last suggestion and only when all others have failed is to see if he'll accept a belly band

Burrowzig and Magyarmum like this.
  4. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

As above - plus also getting up in the night to take him out, which many people do as part of initial house training, and often again when the dog gets old and can no longer hold itself.

5. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Administrator
    Staff Member

I use a belly band on my boy when I can't watch him as he's an opportunistic scent marker ( retired stud ) and find he doesn't wee at all when wearing one unless we accidentally let him out with it still on.

DanWalkersmum and mrs phas like this.
  6. Dog Walker Woman

Dog Walker Woman PetForums Member

Do you take him for a late night pee walk so he has chance to empty his bladder ?
    If I don't take my boys down the road and back before bed (they don't really bother in the garden) they will then have me up about 5am to go out.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  7. Sunking

Sunking PetForums Newbie

Just to say thank you to everyone that replied. We are going to try out lots of your ideas and hope something works because his behaviour is really challenging at the moment. I think he's upset about our new born.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice