Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

advice needed on converting outhouse

Discussion in 'Dog Grooming' started by GALSY, Aug 30, 2013.

1. GALSY

GALSY PetForums Junior

I have applied for planning permission to convert my outhouse to a small dog grooming unit. This permission is required for any conversion where there is a change of use to a business within a residential area. I didn't appreciate the paperwork needed at this early stage as you also need a Building Warrant and possibly a certificate from the Licensing Board. You then need to consider H&S aspects and environmental regulations for dealing with animals.
    All this for an outhouse that will have no structural change & already has electricity. All I want to do is check the electrics are to regulation standard then add a bath & table but I still need to get all the certification before I can even start dreaming.
    Can anyone who has carried out similar changes provide advice before I panic and back out at the first hurdle.
    Also, because of the warrants required for building, I was looking at other options that meant I would not need a plumber to install a bath. I know hydrobaths are an option in these circumstances but would be more expensive than getting a plumber to add a standard stainless steel bath. Are there any other baths that operate similar to hydrobaths where no plumbing is needed but at a lesser cost?

2. Hardwick Hounds

Hardwick Hounds PetForums Senior

I don't believe you need any planning permission to erect a timber lodge/shed, which is why I think a lot of groomers use this way. I'm not sure though but it would be worth looking into, although the cost of the shed would be around that of the hydrobath.

I don't think you need a plumber for the baths, it's the showers that need to be fitted professionally, by an electrician.

3. GALSY

GALSY PetForums Junior

the planning permission is required because the outhouse/shed is not being used for domestic use but is for business use...this means you are changing the shed from a purely residential purpose, in a built up residential area, to a business with potential for increased traffic flow, noise etc.
    To add to this, the minute planning permission is needed, then so is a building warrant, even if it is to only upgrade electricity fittings because the building is now for business use and must comply with building regulations.
    seems so bizarre for such a small change, but I checked with a few staff at the council and researched online for days and all same the same thing. As soon as you say it is for business purposes, they want all hoops jumped through.
    I know I could have just set up without telling anyone but I would have constantly worried about the council finding out. Need to do it all right.

4. Hardwick Hounds

Hardwick Hounds PetForums Senior

Have you contacted any business advisers? Try Business Link to start with, they should at least point you in the right direction. Don't give up, setting up is the hardest part but it's worth the leg work.

5. EssexWags

EssexWags PetForums Member

It's worth going down the right alleyways, if someone ie a neighbour makes a complaint about noise or parking you risk it costing you a whole lot more.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice