Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

advice needed on buying a new puppy.

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by vicky83, Jul 22, 2009.

1. vicky83

vicky83 PetForums Newbie

Hi I am looking into getting a puppy but I am a little worried that my circumsatnces don't suit having a dog. I am a full time teacher although I have 7 weeks of at the moment. My partner also works full time but has the option to work at home some days. we are also looking into a dog walker for the days that we are both at work. the breed we have been looking into is a cavalier king charles spaniel. Could anybody give any advice on whether this breed is suited or if they know of any other breeds that would be suited to our circumsatnces? thank you

2. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

It sounds like you're perfectly suited to getting a pup, as long as you've got the day broken up so they're not left for more than four hours once you're back at work full time in the Autumn.

There are plenty of ckcs people who will be able to advise you about the specific health tests to look for, make sure you ask to see the paperwork from any breeder, don't just take their word for it as other puppy buyers have believed the paperwork is in place, only to find it isn't. Any good breeder will be more than happy to show you the correct paperwork, and won't worry about you insisting on this.

Good luck in your search for a pup.

3. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

Hi,Welcome to the forum,
    I don't know alot about the breed you have in mind,other forum members do though and will be able to advise you. :)

4. RowanWolf

RowanWolf PetForums Member

How many hours a day would the dog be left once you are back full time?
    Cavvies love people and HATE being alone.

5. vicky83

vicky83 PetForums Newbie

hi we would be looking to get a dog walker/sitter in 2 times a day so at most it would be 3 hrs, we were thinking of somebody coming in at around 10.30 and again at around 2 for half hour minimun each time most likely an hour, does this sound like enough? oh forgot to say we leave around 8 and are back around 4

6. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

The only thing I forgot to add, is you may have left it a little late to get on a waiting list to take advantage of the summer hols with your pup. Although not impossible to get a pup and work (I've done it in the past) house training might not happen 'instantly' and it can lead to frustration for some people.

I think what you're proposing re dog walker/sitter sounds fine, hopefully you'll be able to get a recommendation for a good one in your area.

7. Hi and welcome to the forum!
    You have obviously thought about this long and hard! due to your holiday coming up now is obviously the 'right time' Just one consideration! are you totally sold on the puppy idea! The reason I ask is that there are some many wonderful deserving dogs in resue at the moment! many through no fault of their own. REscues can be so rewarding, just a consideration and hope you don't mind me throwing this into the pot!
    All the best
    regards
    DT

8. RowanWolf

RowanWolf PetForums Member

3 hours alone would be ok..just remember they are very very sociable dogs and love their people.
    Very good natured and should be fairly well behaved for pups if the breeder is a good one. (I know a great breeder but I don't know if you are anywhere near Suffolk)

This is Holly now just over a year old, my boyfriend's family's cavvie.

Picasa Web Albums - RowanWolf

Picasa Web Albums - RowanWolf

9. vicky83

vicky83 PetForums Newbie

thank you for all replies, double trouble we have considered a rescue dog, my mum and dad have had a few rescue dogs. Witht his being our first dog we just wanted to have one from the very beginning although if time goes on and we don't get a puppy in the summer holidays we will definatley consider a rescue dog again. Rowanwolf hollie is adorable :D.

ok next questions I'm based near Leicester, I have been looking on the internet and found a few puppies some KC registered and some not. the prices have ranged from 350-650. We just want a family pet not to show or breed, £650 seems like alot of money but I am aware of some of the hereditary problems that CKCS have and want to make sure we choose the right one. What advice can people give on choosing the right puppy. I will of course be visiting any puppy i'm interested in and would love advice on what questions i should be asking and what is the minimun a puppy should come with etc.

10. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

Forget the ads on the net or free papers,
    I recommend you go through one of the breed clubs,the secretary will know of reputable breeder with litters availble or due,
    Breed Clubs and Societies

* CAVALIER KING CHARLES SPANIEL CLUB. Sec. Mrs A Jones. Tel No: 01490 430554
    * EASTERN COUNTIES CAVALIER KING CHARLES SPANIEL SOCIETY. Sec. Ms M Hogan. Tel No: 01462 670774
    * HUMBERSIDE CAVALIER KING CHARLES SPANIEL CLUB. Sec: Mrs L Flynn. Tel No: 01205 760374
    * MIDLAND CAVALIER KING CHARLES SPANIEL CLUB. Sec. Mrs M Rees. Tel No: 01203 403583
    * NORTHERN CAVALIER KING CHARLES SPANIEL SOCIETY. Sec. Mr I Sidgwick Tel No: 01228 561 209
    * NORTHERN IRELAND CAVALIER KING CHARLES SPANIEL CLUB. Sec. Miss Finlay. Tel No: 028 90 851333
    * SCOTTISH CAVALIER KING CHARLES SPANIEL CLUB. Sec. Mrs L Gow. Tel No: 0131 3392503
    * SOUTH & WEST WALES CAVALIER KING CHARLES SPANIEL CLUB. Sec: Mrs R Parry. Tel No: 01639 851724
    * SOUTHERN CAVALIER KING CHARLES SPANIEL CLUB. Sec Mr G Ford. Tel No 01962 772025
    * WEST OF ENGLAND CAVALIER KING CHARLES SPANIEL CLUB. Sec. Mr J Evans. Tel No: 01453 822599

11. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

Yeah I would contact the breed club you really need to get a health tested puppy for this breed. They need an MRI, heart tests, eyes I think. The puppy will choose you basically don't worry about it but make sure the living conditions are clean, the eyes are bright and clear, clean ears and noses.

12. Cuddypuppy

Cuddypuppy PetForums Member

We have just got a puppy and I am so glad that I have 7 weeks off work (I work in a school 3 mornings a week). It has also been really useful having the children around to help with her.

You need to visit a number of breeders. Even the ones with great websites can be a bit dodgy. You will know if it feels right.

13. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

Good post!

We have enough unwanted dogs in the country desperate for a new home. Please don't bring another life into the world! :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice