Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice needed: No milk after c section!!

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by beagirl, Apr 6, 2011.

1. beagirl

beagirl PetForums Junior

My cocker spaniel had a litter of 7 pups yesterday morning by emergency section (she got spayed at the same time). She is doing ok, wasn't interested in pups initially, but now being a great mum. Only problem is she doesn't seem to have much, if any milk!

Pups are fairly settled, get noisy but then appear to feed, and settle again. However when i try to see if she has milk, there is only a tiny bit i can express with the back 2 teats and nothing from the rest. The vet did mention she didn't appear to have milk but thought it may come in today.

I'm getting a bit worried that the pups are not settled, but lethargic without milk - they were all weighed yesterday and i did them again this morning and they've all lost about 15g (initial weights 322 - 356g).

Any advice on supliments/food stuffs i can give my bitch to help bring in her milk would be great?

How long would you leave the pups before bottle feeding?

I've had 2 litters before from a different bitch, and they were textbook births, but i feel at a total loss at the moment and very worried, can't seem to find much information anywhere re how long to leave the pups before interfearing. The suckling action may help to bring in her milk, but if it's never going to happen i don't want to leave it too long before bottle feeding, so that the pups are too weak to take the bottle!!

Any help greatly appreciated.

Nicola

2. Ditsy42

Ditsy42 PetForums VIP

Hi Nicola,

PM Tanya she will b able to offer help and advice, you could go buy some bottles and a tub of pup milk from your vet, tbh surprised they didn't suggest this in the event u need to hand feed them, least if u have stuff in then u can crack on if need be, we did it with our litter as my girl developed mastitis, only had to supplement them a few days til she was sorted but they thrived, if u r worried then no harm in supplementing them IMO.

Good luck and try not to worry hon xx

3. Ditsy42

Ditsy42 PetForums VIP

oh forgot to ask, how is her appetite after the surgery, her food intake is improtant to produce milk, what u feeding her and is she tkaen on more than normal?

4. beagirl

beagirl PetForums Junior

Thanks for the quick reply. I do have a tub of milk replacement powder and feeding set etc in my whelping kit, so all prepared if i need to step in. Was just worried that bottle feeding may interfear with the milk coming in.

5. beagirl

beagirl PetForums Junior

her appetite is pretty good. She's on James wellbeloved puppy biscuits (has been for a few weeks now) and i'm mixing in tinned meat to make it more appealing. drinking ok too.

6. Ditsy42

Ditsy42 PetForums VIP

I had this worry but we didn't feed them bottles full time, just supplemented 2 feeds, once Cara was sorted then all back to normal, if u r at all worried PM Tanya and maybe call ya vet but i've found most vets don't have a lot of experience in whelping and litters, so best speak to an experienced breeder and Tanya is the midwoof here, she is fab :)

7. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

Let them suckle on her and also 'top' them up with some milk, there are some herbal tablets you can get for bringing the milk in but I cant remember what they are called off hand - have a look on Dorwest Herbs !!! Give her some goats milk as well, I had one that didnt have much milk and this was what was suggested to me ;) her milk did eventually come in and she fed them after the first couple of days

Good luck, keep us updated

8. beagirl

beagirl PetForums Junior

Thanks. Will give them a bottle feed and see how we get on, will put my mind at ease. Will get hubby to pick up some goats milk and give it a try.

Much appreciated. I'll let you know how we get on.

9. beagirl

beagirl PetForums Junior

Hi,
    Tried bottle feeding but the pups are too weak. we're just back from the vets and there is definately not enough milk for any of the pups. I will be having to handrear them (unless i can find a surrogate).
    Have left them at vets and have to go back at 5.30. one of the nurses is very experienced so is going to give them glucose to perk them up and then start bottle feeding. when i go back she will show me exactly what to do.
    I am in for such hard work and the vet has already warned me they probably won't all make it, it's devastating, but i'm trying to stay positive.
    Any advice on hand rearing puppies welcome.

I did mention tube feeding to the vet if they won't take the bottle but he said no straight away - has anyone experience of it? I want to do anything and everything to help these puppies survive and if they won't take the bottle then i thought this would be the next step.

thanks in advance

10. Devil-Dogz

Devil-Dogz PetForums VIP

we hand reared our last pup, also giving glucose - he was to small and weak to suckle, so bottle feeding was no option. we had mixed views about the tube feeding (although I have done it many a times, with success on wild animals). we had no choice with our lad it was either tube feed or watch him go down hill. The tube feeding is a good, effective way of feeding puppies in my opinion and in such situations again it we wont think twice.
    When feeding its important that the pup is always warm, you should never feed a cold pup - toileting before and after feeding is also a most, if mum is happy to do this then thats fine also.

It may be wise to put the stronger of the pups on the bitch even possibly after you have fed and they have energy, this should help bring milk down.

Hope it all goes well, its possible you may lose a few your vet is right, so do be prepared and never blame yourself, these things happen..breeders are only human therefore can only do their best.
    Good luck!

ps - where are you located? & I will keep an ear out for a surrogate!

#10 Devil-Dogz, Apr 6, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
  11. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

Where abouts are you? I know of a bitch with 10 day olds pups and plenty of milk. If you are local to me I will help you get them started and out of the danger period. :) Failing that, I may know someone in your area who can come and help :)

12. beagirl

beagirl PetForums Junior

thank you for the offer of help. i'm in aberdeenshire.

one boy pup has taken to the bottle no problem, but the other 6 pups are not so keen at all. will just have to keep trying them.

long night ahead i think..

13. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

Has your vet taught you how to tube feed? It might be worth asking them to show you to get you through the worst of it.
    If they are struggling for energy, use a pea sized amount of glucose to give them the energy required to suckle.
    I will ask around for surrogates in your area and get back to you :)

BTW, what breed?

14. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

Just seen, cocker spaniels.... I will learn to read one day ;)

15. beagirl

beagirl PetForums Junior

Thanks Tanya.

I did ask the vet about tube feeding as i'd read a lot about it online, but they refused to even consider it!! Said there was too much risk of pnemonia etc.. i was quite annoyed as if they won't take a bottle what's the other alternative - just let them fade away! THink i'll be phoning a different vet tomorrow first thing.

16. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

Tube feeding is safer than bottle feeding once you are shown how to do it. I have put the word out about trying to find you a foster mum in your area. The word is getting around, so hopefully we'll have some luck :)

17. beagirl

beagirl PetForums Junior

Thank you so much. I've been texting everyone i know today trying to find a surrogate girl. It's such a shame as Pidge is being a fantastic mum to the pups, really doting on them, her body's just letting her down.

18. francesandjon

francesandjon PetForums VIP

Tanya - would the following dog be any use?

" ***** could do this shes an excellent maternal dog and she has been leaking milk for years.We tried galastop and loads of other tricks and potions and vet eventually said just leave it alone"

I know nothing about breeding....didn't know whether the dog needed to have just had pups to have the right kind of milk....??

19. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

I'd only recommend a bitch with a small litter or a recently lossed/ phantom litter, as the hormones necessary for mothering wouldn't be present. :)

20. francesandjon

francesandjon PetForums VIP

Okey dokey.

Theres also one in Essex who has had a phantom.....guess thats way too far away though!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice