Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice needed! New puppy owners!

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Loopylis, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Loopylis

Loopylis PetForums Newbie

Hi all. My husband and I are taking the big step into bringing a puppy into the family! He has not had a dog since he was very young - I last had a dog in my teens, but my dad handled everything, so its all new to us, and we would like to get as much info and research done as possible before Septmber when we are able to bring him home.

So, can anyone tell us what needs doing? We know he will need injections at 8 and 10 weeks - what else will he need health wise? I found a good website or 2 that I have bookmarked, any others out there that can give me some good info? Obviously we want to be really on the ball and clued up so we can bring him into a good home with owners that know what they are doing!

Oh btw, he is a miniture Jack Russell

2. Think about looking up good puppy socialization/training classes. I think every puppy owner should attend these. They really are important

3. Classyellie

Classyellie PetForums VIP

Get "The Perfect Puppy" by Gwen Bailey - a great book for puppy owners whether first time or not

Ellie x

4. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

Worming and flea treatments need to be done reqularly.
    I would always recommend Micro chipping.
    8 and 10 weeks injections as you already said - plus you might want to consider kennel cough as well (this would be done later in the year)

The best thing you can do for your puppy is socialization. Before he has his injections start taking him out and about, carry him everywhere get him used to all the sights, sounds and smells of the outside world.
    Just don't let him come into contact with any un vacinated dogs or put him on the ground. Get him to meet and play with any vacinated dogs you know in a sfe area such as your garden.

Best of luck.
    And pictures are a must.

5. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

Congratulations, I bet your excited now. Injections, worming and flea oils from your vet as they wiegh the pup before hand for the dosage. Every year they get a booster, your vet will send out a reminder nearer that time (mine does). socialize the puppy like above person said, take it out with you so it meets new sounds and sights and gets used to people walking past you and other dogs walking past aswell, once it have had its injections usually 10 days after the second one (last) you can take it out for short walks so it gets used to every single thing, noise, people other pets, kids, people approaching it for a smooth, WHICH YOU WILL FIND EVERYONE WILL DO IT. I would get a nice crate for it to settle into. you will be able to go out on your own at times and leave little pup home in his crate so he can sleep etc, they will get used to it and NOT pee in there either, so it is good for training to go potty. He will use it to go into on his own eventually to sleep. Its little "den". Dont let it sleep on your bed if you dont want it to do that in the long run, it is a hard habit to get out of, I know this by experience, my chihuahua sleeps on my bed now and wont get down, but she is small and I dont really mind. Get alot of Pee Pads too, you will go through loads in the begining. Lots of chews different sizes and textures, watch for the small little chews which may be too small for its mouth (may choke). I bought a kitten collar to put on my chi' so she got used to it straight away, they are softer too, I took the bell off mine. Hope this helps and good luck have fun. xxx

6. catellkai

catellkai PetForums Junior

Hi you will need a good washable bed, a very wide range of toys from rubber to rope these are the boredom/ chewing bits.I found a good shampoo i use tea tree for mine as its a shampoo that kills things and cleans too, plus i dont think insects like living in the hair after a good shampoo.I bought a chew deterrant, i feel that its a must for you furniture and things that are a no go for your puppy. Have you decided on a puppy? If so what breed?
    I thought when i got my puppys that i could do it too but its not as easy as the parents make out. It may be a good idea to do your homework on its choice of food too.
    And just have some good fun its such a big change getting a new puppy when you already have one but it will be hard when its your first together.Just enjoy it.

7. Emraa

Emraa PetForums Senior

I agree, I got my first pup in June and read the book cover to cover before Bella came home - I still refer back to it now and again, it's very helpful.

Enjoy your pup - and never forget that he is just a baby!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice