Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice needed for old dog

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by jesskia, Jul 19, 2009.

1. jesskia

jesskia PetForums Newbie

Hi

I am new to the forum but would appreciate help. I have a 14yr old X breed (Bedlington/Lurcher) called Pebbles, who has been suffering from dementia for the past year. Yesterday she started being really aggressive and attached our Akita, who fortunately backed off when told. I thought this was a one off as although she will snarl at the Akita and our other dog she has never gone for her.

Things were a bit tense during the evening but seemed to settle then just before bed one of the cats walked through the lounge and Pebbles went for her and actually got hold of her. The cat was ok but I was horrified as Pebbles has been brought up with cats.

I took Pebs to bed with me last night as I daren't leave her in kitchen with other 2 dogs. This morning in the car she turned round and tried to bite me.

She does not appear to be in any pain etc as she was happy on her walk and running around as normal.

Help :(

2. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

In your case I would speak to your vet. It is possible that it is due to her illness and you may have to consider putting her to sleep. x

3. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Id advise having her checked by a vet.

Apart from that, you need to look at her quality of life. If she is unaware of her surroundings and whats going on, and acting in an aggressive manner, is it fair on her to keep her going?

If this carries on, i cant see it being a pleasureable experience for either her, or anyone around her.

4. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

By the way, I forgot to welcome you to the forum. I am sorry your dog is ill x

5. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

I would have to agree with the other people who have replied to this thread. Have there been any previous, even minor, incidents of aggression? If it is due to dememntia, it's wierd to have come on so suddenly. Are you sure she's not in any pain? Dogs are so good at hiding it. Anyway, you must get her looked at by the vet, and be prepared to say goodbye.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice