Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice needed for a worried rat owner!!

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by Katieb123, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Katieb123

Katieb123 PetForums Newbie

I have two male rats, they're getting to be old boys now, and this evening I've noticed one of them is having real trouble walking, so I'm suspecting a stroke or heart failure, either way I'm going to take him to the vets tomorrow and possibly will have to have him put to sleep.

My question is will my other boy cope without him? They have only had each other their whole lives and I'm so worried that he's going to be miserable without his brother. I was half considering having them both euthanised together if needs be rather than him living the rest of his life in sadness.

I don't know what to do for the best! I'm not really in a position where I want to take on any younger rats as if I'm completely honest I don't have the time to put into them.
    Advice please!

Thanks in advance x

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I had a similar scenario when one of my old girls had to be pts.

The remaining rat was elderly so she wasn't up to much and slept a lot anyway and I just made sure she had plenty of handling and my company. She seemed quite happy though and came out to free range with us as normal.

I made sure she saw and sniffed her sister so she understood she had died rather than just vanished, which I think is important.

I had to have her pts some months later when she showed signs of a possible stroke or tumour but up to then she was fine.

She wasn't ready to go at the same time though - I would have struggled to do that tbh

#2 Lurcherlad, Mar 30, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
  3. Katieb123

Katieb123 PetForums Newbie

Thank you for your reply. Another problem I have is that my rats aren't very well handled unfortunately, I will hold my hands up and say I haven't bonded with them as some rat owners do, nor have they with me. This is why I'm so worried now. Do you think he will still appreciate the extra attention from me? Can a stronger bond still be formed even at his old age? I really don't want them both to be put to sleep, obviously it's a horrible thing to even consider. I'm just trying to do what's best for them now

4. Amy_

Amy_ PetForums Newbie

I was in the same situation with my last 2 girls. When one died of a tumour her sister was left on her own and got really depressed and the stress caused her to have a stroke even though I got her out for hours everyday. She stopped grooming herself and was walking on her side. With her being quite old at the time I brought 2 younger rats and the minute she saw them she took to them straight away and seemed to recover almost over night. I really do think its best for him to have another friend though of course you know your little rat best. Have you considered rehoming him to someone who already has other male rats he could be put with if you really don't want to get some younger ones? Or you could just see how he gets on for a while

5. KittenEevee

KittenEevee Crazy Cat Lady

I used to have three rats but now I have a lone male.
    My first rat Orion,died in Feburary at 11 months old due to an infection, we tried to treat it but he just wasnt taking to the medication, he stopped eating and lost weight. I found him on the bottom of the cage, breaks my heart even now.
    His brother Noodles, had so many issues, he was the runt and we struggled to keep him alive, he had a reoccurring skin condition which he was on medication and he was loosing weight and struggling to breathe so we decided to put him to sleep in April. Hardest decision, he was my boy.

We are now left with Jaffa who seems happy, we give him alot of care and attention and extra treats and mini meals of what we are eating. He gets out of his cage and we pet him. He's got lots of toys and he's now 15 months and looks happy.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  6. Virgo66

Virgo66 PetForums Newbie

After my rats sister died she became very worried and panicked a lot. For her personally she didn't cope very well and so I had to get a new companion to help her which has slowly helped her but she still has moments where she want to be by herself and wants extra attention from me along with barely eating. This is because they have a deep bond with each other that they can get depression when one dies

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice