Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice Needed ASAP

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Cazberro, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Cazberro

Cazberro PetForums Newbie

Sorry for the long post, but would rather people had all the facts and they would be better to advise.

I purchased a kitten from a private advertiser on pets4homes beginning of December 2013. The kittens were advertised as being litter trained, wormed and fleaed to date. Being naive and lacking transport, I spoke to the advertiser several times and ended up paying fuel cost on top of the cost of the kitten (£70 kitten + £100 fuel :frown2:). In some respects I am so glad I did it this way as if I had gone to collect I would have ended up taking all the kittens she had.

Anyway everything seemed ok didn't have any concerns. On receipt of the kitten that was 8 weeks old she was extremely tiny. I was told she was premature which in my eyes the poor little thing should have been left with her mother for longer. She had already endured a 3 hour journey there was no way I was going to let her stress even more.

I took this poor little kitten in. She had been fed before she left, but I put some food and water in front of her and she ate a half pouch of whiskers (not my choice it was what she had been fed on) like she hadn't been fed for a week. Whilst she was eating I checked her over and the poor little thing was riddled with fleas and had conjunctivitis. I booked her straight into the vets, couldn't get her in that night so appt was made for first thing following day. I spent all night nursing her. Making sure she was warm and she slept on my chest to maintain her body heat and listen to my heartbeat underneath the covers, syringe feeding her fluids and food every couple of hours at most and cleaning her eyes.

When I got her to the vets, she was checked over and weighed she only weighed 265 gms :eek: she was checked for fleas and treated at the time and was given drops for her eyes. Five days later back at vets for check up. Only weighed 300 gms but she was putting weight on. Eyes had cleared up and no fleas. Booked in for check up again in 5 days time.

Whilst I was back and forward to vets couldn't get answer from the person I had her from but noticed more adverts from her appearing on pets4homes. Reported them. 3 more adverts appeared. Again reported. Then another 2. Again reported.

Back to the vets 19th December 2013 had her weighed she still only weighed 300gms. Was given wormer to treat her as no weight gain. Got my little girl home, but she had had enough, she had a fit. I got straight back on the phone to the vet and got her back to see him. She had another fit just before I got her to the vets. I couldn't see her suffer anymore and on the vets advice I had little Missy put to sleep. I was advised to report the person to the RSPCA or cats protection, but had no address or contact details at this time

What I went through in them 3 short weeks with Missy I can't describe. But was glad I did what I did for her and that she was no longer in pain.

Another advert appeared I messaged as wasn't sure it was the same person. As it happens it was using a different mobile number. I contacted her explained what had happened and all she said was it's never happened before but she was premature. I don't want anybody else to have to go through what I did in that short time

Now I see there is another advert posted tonight using the old mobile number and there was one posted yesterday.

My concern is for these poor cats she keeps breeding from. I have no contact details for her other than first name, email and mobile number. Pets4homes haven't been any help, but the fact she is posting more ads is worrying. That is 6 kittens 2 separate ads in 24 hours.

Again sorry for the long post but where to go from here would be greatly appreciated

2. rose

rose PetForums VIP

What about contacting the RSPCA or cats protection? do you have an address?

3. kodakkuki

kodakkuki PetForums VIP

i'm afraid without details of the breeder there isn't much that can be done unless you can Prove that she was neglecting or causing suffering to the cats- in which case it would be a police matter. if you can get that proof...
    forget about the RSPCA and go straight to the police... call in if you can so you speak to an officer 1-1.
    give them the details along with your contact details and get the name and badge number of the officer dealing with the complaint.
    quote the animal welfare act at them and tell them exactly what piece of it she is breaking... then leave it with them, they will be able to request the IP address etc from the website, or trace a phone number hopefully and find a location from that.

i understand that this is a difficult task, but tbh, not many police officers will know every piece of legislation by heart- if you can tell them Exactly what is wrong it will make it more likely to be dealt with.
    and keep phoning for updates...
    a copy of your vet report for little missy will be a great help- if they can prove she was underage that's another thing the breeder must be held accountable for- and the condition you describe Must mean that the breeding facilities are not up to code.
    every bit of evidence you can provide will help- they can't just take your word :(

i really hope you can get justice for little missy, and please let us know of any progress made... she sounds like a 'breeder' we could do without in this world :mad5:

4. Kylyjocoonz

Kylyjocoonz PetForums Member

I would post the ad on here or give it to someone you know, get them to call and make arrangements to collect a kitten! Take down the address and hand it straight to RSPCA.... If they go to the home and believe she is being cruel or neglectful in any way it may be stopped!

I'm so sorry to hear of little Missy's short life ending :-( though you certainly tried, and no doubt improved whatever life she had left with love & kindness xx

5. Cazberro

Thank you for the replies. I'm not sure whether Missy was an isolated case or not, whether she was the so called runt of the litter or not she deserved so much more. It just makes me so mad that she is breeding so many to be advertising them as much as she is, different cats, different litter sizes and always the same been wormed and de-fleaed and litter trained, and the poor cats and kittens are suffering for it. I am going down to the vets tomorrow as the vet that dealt with Missy has kindly offered to write a report on his findings along with all print outs of treatment as it was him that advised me to take things further.

I am so tempted to reply to her advert for another one of her kittens and have her deliver it just to get the number plate of her vehicle as she could give me a friends address and take the kitten there for collection :mad:

I will see what the vets written report says and take things from there. I will keep you posted and thanks again.

6. kodakkuki

kodakkuki PetForums VIP

do they act that fast? i know the USPCA can't/don't... but what if she is placing them in the homes of brokers? i know of a dog breeder local-ish to me that used to do this (though as far as i'm aware a after many, many complaints from a certain number of people got it investigated by the council and she is now being watched) :aureola: :thumbup1:

7. moggie14

moggie14 PetForums VIP

Oh my goodness, so so sorry to hear your story - very sad and RIP little Missy :sad::sad:

Aren't Pets 4 Homes owned / same group as this very same forum??? Maybe the moderators on here can do something???

It would be extremely unfair if we cannot help or assist in justice for Missy and all the other poor cats and kittens in the hands of this 'breeder' :mad5:

8. kodakkuki

kodakkuki PetForums VIP

i was posting at the same time as you there...
    i have known of 'brokers' to be used so the home seems a lovely caring environment.
    at that weight she was not a healthy 8 week old kitten- and wasn't 'fit for purpose' (sorry to have to put it like that) and at the very least the breeder was supplying something that they were knowingly falsely advertising.
    my kitten was a feral runt and she weighed that at about 5 weeks i think...

was missy a pedigree, cross or wee moggie if you don't mind me asking?

did the vet believe she was 8 weeks developmentally?

9. Cazberro

She was sold as a maine coon cross and had more maine coon look about her. The vet didn't believe she was 8 weeks old when I took her in he looked rather shocked when I told him to be honest. I just wanted to do what was best and kept my fingers crossed that she would pull through.

10. cats galore

cats galore PetForums VIP

maine coons are big cats and so are the kittens. the weight you ar stating would only be for a kitten of a few weeks old (inmy experience with rescue moggies). even if she had been bigger there is no way she should have left the 'breeder' covered in fleas:mad: what area are the kittens in and would you mind showing us a link to the advert then one of us could contact her to see if we could 'visit a kitten' - we could then pass the address on to you for your vet to report them

11. kodakkuki

kodakkuki PetForums VIP

i've included a link to the animal welfare act 2006... Animal Welfare Act 2006

i know it may be asking a lot, but if the vet could read over section 4, and then emphasizing the issues with Missy that were clearly in breach of the legislation, it will make the report easier to read for someone who wouldn't know what Exactly they were looking for without having to do too much extra 'reading into it'

(does that make sense? i'm not sure anymore! :eek: )

12. Cazberro

It won't let me post a link I tried.
    Mixed breed
    Top advert page 1
    Kittens for sale
    Manchester greater Manchester
    Four kittens for sale 2 boys, 2 girls

#12 Cazberro, Jan 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  13. cats galore

what area are they in and whats the title of the advert please :)

14. Cazberro

Yes I know maine coons are big cats but photos can be quite deceiving, obviously looked bigger in the photo it was only when I saw her that you sort of realise how small she was. She could lie down in my hand no paws hanging over the sides :eek:

I will see what the vets report says and then go from there. Really appreciate all your input x

15. cats galore

they really hadn't looked after her properly had they, poor thing. at least she was loved while she was with you x

16. Cazberro

It wasn't just me, it was the kids aswell that nursed her. She was going to be their therapy cat. You know to see a teenager with ADHD and aspergers who can be so angry at times, be so gentle and caring and dote on the little girl was amazing.

17. moggie14

moggie14 PetForums VIP

I hope something can be done to stop poor cats being treated like this by such a person :mad:
    Really feel for you and of course your children, must have been very hard for you all :sad:
    You have definitely come to the right place for help and support :D

18. Cazberro

I had actually joined the forum to get as much information as I could on kitten behaviour and feeding, but as I was still looking for a therapy pet for my boys and this so called breeder has posted more kittens, it just made me so mad, I knew where to come for help and advice after reading some of the other posts. You lot definitely know your stuff :biggrin:

19. Jiskefet

Jiskefet Slave to the Hairy Hikers

Ah, but the anger is merely frustration at being misunderstood, and even more at being unable to make people understand. Pets do not misunderstand, pets don't judge, pets sense your emotions and intent, so there is nothing to explain. With pets, you can communicate on a purely instinctive, emotional level.

I have ADHD myself, and the innate love and understanding of my cats is a blessing. They are my anchor to sanity....

The death of little Missy must have hit them extremely hard, even harder than it would have 'normal' children. People with ADHD are very emotional, very instinctive. Feelings don't get tempered by reason, it is honest, undiluted emotion in its purest, fiercest form.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice