Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice needed about my dog no longer sleeping on my bed

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Leonoraeddolls, Jan 20, 2019.

1. Leonoraeddolls

Leonoraeddolls PetForums Newbie

hi everyone I’m new to this forum. I have a peculiar problem. My dog tinker has always slept on my bed. I have had her and her littermate Rosie for 11 years. Recently I got a new dog, an elderly male parsons terrier.

He prefers to sleep in a bed on the floor, however in recent weeks tinker has started sleeping on the floor. She acts terrified when she is on the bed and can’t wait to get off, ignoring all my requests to get back up.

Henry the terroir has no interest in the bed apart from in the morning once everyone has left the bedroom. The door is shut for the rest of the day.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

2. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

Perhaps something has happened when Tinker has been on the bed that has scared him. Maybe even whilst you were asleep - could you perhaps have rolled over and knocked him, making him jump? If he wants to sleep on the floor then just let him do that if that's where he'd prefer to sleep.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  3. Leonoraeddolls

Tinker has never been hurt in my sleep, I’m a light sleeper so I hear her if she jumps off for a snack in the night! It’s really strange

4. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Has your dog had a recent vet check.when behaviour changes it is always a good idea to check that nothing is medically wrong. Pain when jumping down could make being up high not as pleasant..
    Alternatively if your new dog is on the floor does your dog have to jump up or down near to their bed ? If so that may put them off. Or perhaps now that there is another dog sleeping on the floor the floor is the place to be.

Cleo38, Lurcherlad, margy and 4 others like this.
  5. Leonoraeddolls

I think it’s something to do with the new dog, but I cant figure it out! Thanks for your reply

6. DaisyBluebell

DaisyBluebell Earth, the insane asylum of the Universe

Perhaps she just wants to be near to the new dog? Or perhaps a bit of arthritis, possible at her age, is making it uncomfortable or painful jumping up and down off the bed! Worth a vet check to see. If nothing wrong then 'let sleeping dogs lie' as they say where ever that may be that suits them.

margy likes this.
  7. Leonoraeddolls

Of all the dogs Tinker is the fittest, she still chases squirrrels and jumps over fences like a gazelle so not sure its that. But I am going to leave her where she is, but perhaps get her a new bed to lie on as I am losing the battle! thanks for your reply

margy, kittih and DaisyBluebell like this.
  8. DaisyBluebell

DaisyBluebell Earth, the insane asylum of the Universe

Excellent idea

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice