Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice needed about internet security.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Cully, Nov 13, 2020.

1. Cully

Cully PetForums VIP

Do we really need the likes of Norton and Kaspersky? I'm torn because I've heard we are safe enough using Windows Defender.
    I've used Norton for years but don't know if it's really necessary, but a bit scared to stop using them.
    I'd welcome hearing any opinions.
    Thanks.

2. Bertie'sMum

Bertie'sMum Obedient Cat Slave

I used to use Kaspersky but when I upgraded to Windows 10 it wasn't compatible so now use Windows Defender which my IT guru tells me is safe enough for my limited use - I just make sure that I don't click on any links in dodgy emails or visit suspect web sites !!

HarlequinCat and Cully like this.
  3. Cully

Cully PetForums VIP

I had the same after upgrading too. I found Kaspersky weren't so 'in your face'.
    Sick of Norton at the moment as I cancelled my automatic renewal and now they keep popping up asking me to 'have a chat' to sort out any problems. Very hard to get off your back ime.

4. Blackadder

Blackadder PetForums VIP

If you want to remove Norton then use this removal tool https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v60392881 make sure you select "Remove completely" this should stop the pop ups.

I've always found Norton to be resource heavy & not much better than anything else....not worth the money IMO

I use Windows Defender along with Malwarebytes @ £30 a year (there is a free version but with limited functionality after a 14 day trial)

My best advice is to never click on random links no matter who they're from, if you don't know what the link is & you weren't expecting it.....leave it alone! Better still, delete it to remove temptation. Clickbait is everywhere!
    If it's from a friend you can check that it's a safe link by emailing & asking.

white_shadow, Cully and HarlequinCat like this.
  5. Cully

Cully PetForums VIP

I never click on links and have reported suspect emails in the past. My son says I'm OTT about internet security etc but I don't think I am, just very cautious.
    I suppose I worry so much because I shop and bank online. My bank is offering free protection (CR who it is offhand) which I could take up if I decide to just use Windows Defender.
    I just don't like Norton's almost bullying tactics.

6. Blackadder

Blackadder PetForums VIP

I do internet banking + paypal + debit card payment & never had a problem using Win defender & malwarebytes.

My advice, for what it's worth, is to junk Norton & just be sensible....up to you :)

Cully likes this.
  7. Jesthar

Jesthar PetForums VIP

Norton is rubbish, as is McAfee. I use the free version of Avast, though Kapersky has a good reputation too last time I checked. I've never paid for an antivirus, only ever used the free versions.

StormyThai and Cully like this.
  8. Cully

Cully PetForums VIP

I think it's like insurance. Once you've got it you're afraid to cancel it in case you need it. It plays on your mind if you don't have that cover, and the companies are very good at chipping away at your confidence.
    It's like, I've had pet insurance since I first got Misty and never needed it. But I feel sure if I cancel it then something will happen to her. Daft isn't it!

9. Cully

Cully PetForums VIP

Can I just ask what it is about Norton and McAfee that is rubbish. I'm not criticising your opinion, I'm genuinely interested in what is bad about them.
    I used AVG free early on and was happy with it, until it was overloaded with adverts and became too intrusive to use.
    I might look at Avast as an alternative.

10. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

I use Avast, it's free and just sits there unless it's needed.

I don't click on dodgy links, but it's good to have a virus checker installed IMO

Cully likes this.
  11. Cully

Cully PetForums VIP

I've just installed Malwarebytes, and in doing so discovered I still have bits of Kasperksy left from ages ago when I uninstalled it. I just tried to uninstall it again now from my programs and features but can't as it says I can't install a program that's already been uninstalled (no kidding!) So I've got bits lurking goodness knows where and no idea how to get rid of them. Probably in the 'enter at your own peril' registry!!!

12. Blackadder

Blackadder PetForums VIP

13. Blackadder

Blackadder PetForums VIP

Just to add.... if you're concerned at all you can use a free online virus scan as a "one off" check. Lots of well known antivirus companies offer them.

HarlequinCat likes this.
  14. Jesthar

Jesthar PetForums VIP

Expensive, use an excessive amount of system resources compared with many alternatives, and they consistently underperform whenit comes to detecting bad stuff compared with other packages

white_shadow and Cully like this.
  15. Cully

Cully PetForums VIP

Yes I found Norton hogged a lot of resources and slowed everything down.

white_shadow likes this.
  16. Cully

Cully PetForums VIP

Can I just ask if the AVAST you have is the free version? I installed it on my laptop (had Norton before) and I keep getting alerts which are essentially pushing me to get the paid version. I expect the occasional push, it's one of the perils of having something for free, but they are a real nuisance and make me nervous that there is actually something nasty on my pc, even though I've got Malware bytes as recommended by my bank.
    I'm just wondering if you get pushy notifications too.

17. Jesthar

Jesthar PetForums VIP

Yeah, all free versions tend to do that thing with the pop ups. I've been happily ignoring them for years ;)

Cully likes this.
  18. Jason25

Jason25 PetForums VIP

Haven’t used an antivirus in years. Unless you’re downloading stuff from unknown sources you don’t really have much to worry about. A quick google search about the product will give you a good idea of its reputation if that makes sense.

I’ll use Adblock which you can allow ads for certain sites you want to support.

If you’re not visiting shady sites, clicking on random links or ads, opening junk mail and viewing their sites or downloading trash, I don’t think there’s much to worry about.

With all that being said I don’t like saving passwords in case the system does become compromised it’s possible for them to steal. Even though it’ll be encrypted I’m sure some people will know how to decrypt. I am a bit paranoid like that lol. I keep all my accounts and passwords written down in a book :Hilarious

rona likes this.
  19. Jesthar

Jesthar PetForums VIP

Speaking with my IT professional hat on for a moment, unfortunately you're very wrong. But at least you might be lucky - hard to tell, though, if you don't scan your machine from time to time ;)

20. Jason25

Jason25 PetForums VIP

What are you scanning for and what kind of attack do you have to worry about if you're not visiting shady sites, clicking on random links or ads, opening junk mail and clicking their links or downloading trash? How would you be able to infect my machine without me doing one of the above?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice