Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice needed: 12 year old lab, constant vomiting,

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Maisie Brooke, Sep 17, 2020.

1. Maisie Brooke

Maisie Brooke PetForums Newbie

Over the past week my chocolate lab of 12 has been vomiting every day. We took him to the vets who gave anti sickness, which helped for a day or two but didn’t do much. He’s still got an appetite (will eat a little less than normal) and is still drinking but it won’t stay in his stomach for long before it comes back up again.

Were struggling to make the difficult decision as to let him go or not. He seems himself in the sense of still enjoying and wanting to go for walks, still trying to eat and drink, still wagging his tail and playing around with us. But seeing him be sick so often (once every hour and half) is just so upsetting.

At first he was not eating any of his dry food at all, he would only eat things such as sausage rolls and mini sausages, then after a few days we mixed his wet food with some dry and he would eat that. But I must admit it gave him a terrible belly, which is not like him at all. He was gassy and had diarrhoea. We’ve now stopping the wet food as thinking that probably didn’t help his tummy. He really seems out off by his dry food but is it worth trying to give him something else to eat or will it just make it worse for him? He’s drinking okay but will bring up a yellow bile a little while after.

Any advice and opinions would be much appreciated. Would it be kinder to put him to sleep?

2. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Take him back to the vet for further tests. I would imagine he's trying to eat because he's starving after vomiting everything up.

3. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Try soaking his dry food so it’s soft before feeding. Makes it easier to digest and may help his tum process it.
    Did your vet suggest trying a bland diet of poached fish or chicken (no skin) with rice or potato?
    I would definitely have another chat with your vet.

Happy Paws2 likes this.
  4. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

Try Hills Gastric recovery food?

Also, it’s a bit early, surely, to be talking about PTS when, according to your post, you’ve had no further investigations done?

Mum2Heidi, Torin. and JoanneF like this.
  5. Maisie Brooke

I tried soaking his food with a little bit of water A few days ago and still no luck . I’ve just tried giving him a handful of plain chicken and rice and within 5 minutes it was back up again. It’s so upsetting seeing him like this, he seems so sorry for himself :( I don’t know how long I can go on seeing him being this ill.

6. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

I would get back the vet for their advice asap. As Linda Weasel says, it’s very early to be thinking PTS. It could be just a nasty tummy bug that needs sorting and the sooner you act the quicker he will recover. If he’s not keeping any food down, he’s bound to feel very weak and sorry for himself. Just like we do. It may not take much to sort it
    I don’t mean to sound heartless but if I was hurting that much watching my dog, I’d be making the vet jump through hoops. You need to act on your instinct that he needs help and see what the vet advises.
    I wish you both well. We have fingers and paws crossed. Please let us know how you get on.

Lurcherlad and Linda Weasel like this.
  7. Maisie Brooke

Hi everyone, we took ted at the vets at 12 and he is now sleeping well in the sky.

I think he knew it was his time, he laid down outside on a blanket and wouldn’t get up. He closed his eyes and the sun was beaming down on him. He loved sunbathing so it was perfect for him really.

The vet told us there isn’t much they could do as they believe there was a large lump in his tummy which had spread and was causing his sickness. We knew about a lump in his throat but this one in his tummy was new. It was too upsetting seeing him not able to keep down any food at all over the past week. We would’ve rather him sleep well and be out of pain than pull him apart for potential operations given his age.

Thank you everyone for the support, I am beyond upset but find peace in knowing he’s resting well.

8. rona

So sorry to hear this. look after yourself

9. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

I’m so, so sorry.
    Thinking of you.
    God bless beautiful boy.

10. Maisie Brooke

I’ve never experienced a grief like this before. If only I could cuddle him to sleep every night. Thank you everyone for the support. Please enjoy these pictures of our teddy bear being a silly sausage that he was!

Attached Files:

rona likes this.
  11. Born to Boogie

Born to Boogie PetForums VIP

Good night, beautiful Teddy Bear:Kiss
    What a darling boy.

12. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

13. rona

He looks beautiful inside and out. Such a cheeky face
    He will leave a very large hole in your life and heart

14. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Very sorry for your loss :(

15. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Lovely pics of a beautiful boy.
    For every bit of pain you feel take comfort there is love in equal measure. In time the love and legacy of wonderful memories he left with you will make you smile again.
    In the meantime allow yourself to grieve.
    We are all here to help if we can.
    Take care

rona likes this.
  16. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

So sorry for your loss x

17. DanWalkersmum

DanWalkersmum watching the world go by

I'm so sorry for your loss, very sad x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice